NEXT BASE Dash-cam CRAP!

PINBALL

Reaction score
Website
www.coin-opcommunity.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 E230 / 124 E220 /124 E280 /210 E320 CDI Wagons
NEXTBASE 212 DASH-CAM – CRAP!

The biggest gripe with this product was the ridiculously large 3-4 inches long hard wired into cable to cigarette lighter connector which is contrary to the smaller Tom Tom type with a USB slot and much shorter version as PROMOTED and shown on argos page.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5533314

This stupidly large connection interfered with the gearbox lever that would hit it when put into park (auto gearbox), and would have eventually broke the connection cable or broken my cigar lighter mounting .

I was also disapointed to read that its advised that the memory should be formatted every 2-3 weeks as its stated in manual, which is not any different from cheaper makes available elsewhere or even on Ebay!

At present I have to format after around 4 hours of driving which is or should be expected from a 32GB Class 10.

Its also promoted as being magnetic - but where, may i ask is this magnet and where is it?

Its not on connector to windscreen suction cup as it slides into notches - NOT MAGNETIC.

Everything else was straightforward but operated no differently to one I already have purchased for £15 last year, on Ebay of all places. So returned for a refund - Thank You Argos for excellent service as always.

The one thing it had that may have been a godsend was a motion detector that sensed any abrupt motions and partitioned that section until I manually erased it, or used to send to insurance Co.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I have to say I am pleased with my NextBase 412GW now I have got used to the very small and sensitive buttons around the screen.

I think the “magnetic” part relates to the way the camera fits into the mount, not the way the mount fits to the screen. It means you can just slide the camera out of the mount without taking the mount and wiring off the screen.

As for reformatting the SD card, I suspect that is down to the technical requirements of the actual memory card not the camera itself.

w124nut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 cabriolet 1994 E320
I also have a Nextbase camera but the 512GW model which is hard-wired to the car.
My main gripe is that the instruction manual is too large (PDF File), and my attention span cannot cope, so I fiddled with it to get to know it.
After a while, I now understand the menu and sub-menu systems, finding that reformatting the SD card is not a problem. However, I have turned off the Parking system that activates the camera as a result of a shunt when stationary. This system was automatically turning itself on as a result of me closing the drivers door.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I also have a Nextbase camera but the 512GW model which is hard-wired to the car.
My main gripe is that the instruction manual is too large (PDF File), and my attention span cannot cope, so I fiddled with it to get to know it.
After a while, I now understand the menu and sub-menu systems, finding that reformatting the SD card is not a problem. However, I have turned off the Parking system that activates the camera as a result of a shunt when stationary. This system was automatically turning itself on as a result of me closing the drivers door.
I agree about the manual so I reverted to the tried and tested way of just pressing the buttons and seeing what happens! ;)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
happy enough with mine ,removed guts from fag lighter addaptor and hard wired the lot thru fuse. been working fine .

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
I had one from Eurocarparts , Only 3 x 2 inches nice bit of kit , and it works well for me. Price was £20 .For others looking to buy one, do look on youtube ,,and chose one thats got a video on how to set it up .Reason is the booklet that comes with 90% of the dash cams are useless.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom