C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
It has all arrived, can't fault them
e50c69dc446505424e5457ef5868495f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)

That price for a 212 is extremely good - especially as it comes with an 8GB card and carry-wallet.

After seeing a posting where a yobbo on a motorbike scraped the side of a guy's car when he made an "extra" lane on the motorway I was pleased to see that after receiving the dash cam film his insurance accepted no fault and the perpetrator will be getting a bill so I decided that I wanted a pair of front and rear cameras. So I've gone for a 512GW paired with it's rear camera - despite my concerns that when they are connected the resolution drops to a maximum 1080p at 30fps although the 512GW is advertised at 1440. I checked with Nextbase and there's no workaround because as they put it, the second camera is basically a second lens recognised by the "parent" chip with ho upgrade path. However, looking around at posts on the web, people say it's perfectly serviceable at this resolution. It will be interesting to see what help it really is for reversing - two of the "sales tickler" recommendations I looked at said it could be used this way...

The bad news though, is that I made a start on self fitment and quickly realised that my Arthur Rightis wasn't going to let me do it so the car's at my friendly local garage today.

I bought a paired kit from the same supplier as JBell above at £164.95 with a hardwire kit that includes a piggy back fuse mount etc for £10.95 (delivered). btw: Although I wasn't of a mind to let them near my car, Halfords ads all say "we fit from £30 but every one I looked at worked out to £45 (the 212 for example jumps from £69 to £114 fitted price) but they do include a hardwire kit in the fitted bundle.

Delivery from Velocity Electronics was two days - no complaints. Halfrauds want £218 for the pair and £20 for the hardwire kit so on the straight purchase I paid out £62 less. I do like "less" ...especially when it's coming out of my pocket!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i use 2x nextbase basics in the a class and nextbase mirror cam in the SL no complaints all this tech is grand, when it goes wrong ,whose fault will it be when you get done for speeding. ? i am not a fan of all these gadgets and frankly most stuff that has "assist" in its description is mainly designed to have you back in the dealers asap so they can "assist" with lightening yr wallet for something you didnt know you needed . everyone to their own. electric windows ,gps, electric roof, folding mirrors, tiptronic g/box ect for me good stuff .1 grand headlights that point round corners tail gates that open when one waggles foot under bumper, park assist and about anything else starting with "assist " i can do without.. when cars that drive themselfs take over , will i be able to whistle for it coming out of the pub,hammered, and if it runs into something will the car maker be liable ? and will the maker replace it for me,

OP
JBell

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The bad news though, is that I made a start on self fitment and quickly realised that my Arthur Rightis wasn't going to let me do it so the car's at my friendly local garage today.

Took me 10 mins to fit, ridiculously easy and just plugged it into the 12v socket in the glovebox

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Not
Took me 10 mins to fit, ridiculously easy and just plugged it into the 12v socket in the glovebox
Sadly, most cars don’t have a 12v socket in the glove box. Fortunately, I did on my 207 but the new one doesn’t so it’s going into Comand in Lightwater in a couple of weeks to get it fitted properly.

OP
JBell

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not

Sadly, most cars don’t have a 12v socket in the glove box. Fortunately, I did on my 207 but the new one doesn’t so it’s going into Comand in Lightwater in a couple of weeks to get it fitted properly.

It is very convenient, and the little plug that gives you access for the cable is excellent

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had two problems - I use the cig lighter plug for my sat nav which is an as/when item and because I decided to have the front/rear pair of cams, the connecting cable had to be routed under the headlining etc. so I got my local guys to do it. They did a very nice, tidy job for me and I gave it a 5-minute test getting back home last night but it was already very dark so I didn't pay too much attention to it. Just got back from the dentist so I'll run through it today and tomorrow and see if I regret buying or not! On first glance I'm quite happy...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Wow, that is impressive. Looks how behind the times I am, and I'm only 44 years old on Sunday! (that's starting to sound old now)
When I were a lad and all of this were field........

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Already got one of those and hate it - if it's plugged in I can't close the ashtray cover and more than one item plugged in makes the centre console area look like a bunch of spaghetti. I now can't see any wires for the cameras except where they emerge from the headlining so I just have one cable to plug in for the sat nav when I want it.

OP
JBell

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Already got one of those and hate it - if it's plugged in I can't close the ashtray cover and more than one item plugged in makes the centre console area look like a bunch of spaghetti. I now can't see any wires for the cameras except where they emerge from the headlining so I just have one cable to plug in for the sat nav when I want it.

I was thinking about solving the glovebox problem

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Likewise, I really dislike wires hanging around all over the place, I hard-wire in whenever possible and just have 1 phone charger plugged into the socket in the passenger foot-well so I can't see it and my phone lives on the passenger seat under my jacket so I cant see that either.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I compromised on the phone - I put a magnet (only 99p on the Bay) on the dash just right of the glove compartment and the wire just hangs down from there - I changed it from white to black so it's less noticeable against the dash. The way my iphone works is it connects to the MB speaker system automatically and if it's connected to power it enables the "Siri" voice-handler automatically. -So I can just tell it to make or answer/ignore a call etc without using my hands.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom