No Claims Discount

easyrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190D/1992/2.5
I've just insured my 190D on a classic car policy. My insurance company told me that I didn't need proof of no claims. After putting the phone down I remembered that one has to keep ones no claims current. I have a 9 year no claims and do not want to lose that.

So my question is can I have the classic car cover without the no claims and keep hold of my original 9 year no claims? Not sure if that makes sense?

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
I had a classic policy for a year on my 2.3-16 and when I moved back to a standard policy my NCD just carried on from where it had been the year before.

I think it stays valid for a number of years. I'm not sure how long though.

klenzza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
not sure if i got the gist of it but i had 7 years no claims didnt drive or have a policy for 3 years and when i bought a car 3 years later i simply picked up my 7 years no claims again

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
NCD only stays valid for 2 years now.

klenzza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the guy that sells insurance on here will know for sure

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I had a word with my insurers many years ago when i drove just a classic car.. they told me that they would honour my no claims when i insured a normal car again regardless of time period..

Tim-Prestige

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
merc 2009 2.7

Hi!

On our scheme, we can use expired NCB for up to 3 years after the expiry date though I would say that the majority of insurers nowadays only accept NCB which has expired within the last 2 years. This will mean that your NCB will be worthless after 2 years time in most cases.

If NCB had expired over 3 years ago, we could always look at a letter from the Classic Car insurers to say that you have had X number of years claim-free driving and accept that as discount.

Hope that helps.

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na

Yes, we'll look at spent NCB. The fact that you've been driving on a classic policy is different to not driving at all during the period. We'll be able to help you after 3 years, and even thereafter, on referral if you can provide evidence of continuous classic cover in the interim.

All the best.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
I have always been of the opinion that 'proper' classic car insurance cover requires you to have another car to use day to day, which you will keep your NCB intact.

The classic cover will have limited annual miles.

Is this not the case ?

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
That is indeed the case for 'proper' classic policies but more and more frequently classic insurers are offering an everyday policy where it's just an old car being covered at a fairly low premium. Whether they still call those 'classic' policies I don't know.

OP
E

easyrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190D/1992/2.5
I have always been of the opinion that 'proper' classic car insurance cover requires you to have another car to use day to day, which you will keep your NCB intact.

The classic cover will have limited annual miles.

Is this not the case ?

Yes it is the case. My policy limits me to 5,000 miles which suits me.

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
Interesting news on this subject just in...

Yesterday we negotiated with one of the insurers on our panel to allow classic policies to build up NCB entitlement in their own right.

So please give us a call if you'd like to be able to accrue bonus on your classic policy - another great benefit developed with members' needs in mind.

Top Bottom