No more K series for Freelanders!!

OP
MechPhil

MechPhil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'87 260E
Oh, and I will collect and deliver your car anywhere in South Africa, charging only the cost of fuel. :)

Vamps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep Grand Cherokee
ah i presume then that this was a mk1 transit? the mk2 and 3 came with them available as standard. commonly in early ambulances before the mk3 got the turbo diesel engine in the early 90's

The MK1 Transit was available with the V6, I worked for a company, Andrew's Heat For Hire, who had 2 or 3 of these in LWB as Rally Support vehicles for Russel Brooks before he became a 'works' driver.......:):)

Rockall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many
shouldnt have been too much of a problem. there were transits built with the V6 lump already in it!
All the ambulances over here - Ford Transits - had the essex 3 litre fitted as standard around that era.

Regards

Bill

Tiaan

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S600
Freelander engine convertion

I am extremely proud of myself today! We started up a long-term project vehicle this afternoon.

It's a '98 LandRover Freelander, with the 18K4 motor. These engines give enormous amounts of trouble and are ridiculously expensive to repair, and even if repaired well, it's still a really rubbish engine!

So, some mechanics have started fitting different engines, anything from 1970's Datsun L-series to Lexus V8's. (Yes, really!) But all of these conversions involve replacing the gearbox with a gearbox that bolts onto the replacement engine, and an aftermarket fuel injection control system. All of the extras needed to get the car running again come to around R40 000, depending on the engine used. (That's about £3000)
Hi Phil I'm interested in the Toyota engine fitment into the Freelander
Over the past few weeks, we have developed a conversion kit consisting of an adaptor plate that fits the LandRover gearbox to a Toyota 3S (2.0 16 valve) engine, and brackets to fit the LandRover ps pump, ac compressor and alernator to the engine. We also adapted the LandRover management system to run the Toyota engine! And it runs beautifully!!

We can now do this conversion for about the price of reconditioning the Landy engine, and best of all, it's in in the morning and out the same afternoon! (Well, maybe the next afternoon until we've had some practise). The cars still sell for about R85 000 so spending R15000 on an engine is good value around here!

I just had to post this story, I'm about to burst woth pride, because so many people said that it couldn't be done!

Phil

Hi Phil how can I get hold of the guys that do this convertion?

Mordokwan

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 Land Rover Freelander 2.7
Freelander help

Phil,

Thank you so much for the information about swapping the horrible Freelander with a Toyota 3S 2.0 16V engine.

I would like to email you and talk bout possibly getting the parts that you said you developed to do the swap, as well as how to do the swap, and find someone here in the US who can perform the swap. I also want to know what you would charge in USD to do the swap for someone, if they already purchsed the Toyota engine for the swap?

Thanks so much!! Looking forward to your reply,

Todd

nikoszirgon

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
freelander
I am extremely proud of myself today! We started up a long-term project vehicle this afternoon.

It's a '98 LandRover Freelander, with the 18K4 motor. These engines give enormous amounts of trouble and are ridiculously expensive to repair, and even if repaired well, it's still a really rubbish engine!

So, some mechanics have started fitting different engines, anything from 1970's Datsun L-series to Lexus V8's. (Yes, really!) But all of these conversions involve replacing the gearbox with a gearbox that bolts onto the replacement engine, and an aftermarket fuel injection control system. All of the extras needed to get the car running again come to around R40 000, depending on the engine used. (That's about £3000)

Over the past few weeks, we have developed a conversion kit consisting of an adaptor plate that fits the LandRover gearbox to a Toyota 3S (2.0 16 valve) engine, and brackets to fit the LandRover ps pump, ac compressor and alernator to the engine. We also adapted the LandRover management system to run the Toyota engine! And it runs beautifully!!

We can now do this conversion for about the price of reconditioning the Landy engine, and best of all, it's in in the morning and out the same afternoon! (Well, maybe the next afternoon until we've had some practise). The cars still sell for about R85 000 so spending R15000 on an engine is good value around here!

I just had to post this story, I'm about to burst woth pride, because so many people said that it couldn't be done!

Phil

hello i am from greece,(its in europe) and here, we have alot freelander,s with problems in engine k series. iam not a mechanic but i like to fix it. so .... i was see your post about the conversion from k series to toyota engines. and i wonder if. can you give us more info ... foto- video - spec... about the conversion, to solve the problem. thank you .

OuBaas

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG
Hi did MechPhil get bacdk ti you about that 18k conversion i am also looking for his details and contact.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom