No Power - Strange MAF Fault UPDATE

Stomper

Reaction score
Please see original fault here http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=54395

Car got slowly worse with fault occurring more often with the V6 MAF still fitted but had not had a chance to get it back to the garage for diagnosis.
Then started to get a traction control fault http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=52386 which I thought was unrelated.

Quiet in work one day so as part of my self-checks for the traction control fault I disconnected the ABS sensors for the front wheels to check their ohmic values. Both reading the same at 1058 ohms and no change when I moved cables around to simulate suspension/steering movement. Plugged both back in and on way home noticed both traction control and power problem gone !!!
Now back on correct MAF with no faults flagged up by STAR and car driving properly again. Can only suspect that a poor connection to one of the ABS sensors was to blame though they both looked clean and corrosion free.
At a loss as to why ABS sensors would have caused the power loss fault as that was engine speed related not road speed but still happy that fault gone.
Hope this information might be of some use to anyone with similar problems.
Dave.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes so this was a speed sensor missing fault,so the car was in the limp home mode

OP
Stomper

Stomper

Reaction score
Must have been.
The strange thing I find is that the power problem would occur if I revved above 4000rpm regardless of road speed which is what the ABS sensors would have been looking at (or wheel rotational speed at least). This then required me to pull over, turn off, leave and restart to reset the fault.
The traction control fault occurred at low speed and lasted for a second or two then cleared requiring no reset.

Top Bottom