No towing with a 2016 E220 AMG Estate?

k127

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 E220 AMG
Hi,

Newbie here..

I took possession of a 2016 E220 AMG Night (last in the model line) last month under a business lease. Had a retro-fitted tow bar on our 2013 220 (with permission) and mentioned to the salesman we were going to put it on the new vehicle, no problem he said. All fine until we took it to Macsalvors (who also do all work for the local dealer) to get it fitted to the new one the day after collection. VIN plate says it has no towing allowance, and therefore legally they cannot fit the bar.

Merc told them to go ahead because the book says it can tow. Macsalvors have refused because they HAVE to refer to the VIN plate regardless of what the book says.

Four weeks later Merc are still arguing and we still don't have a vehicle that can tow, with a business event taking place this weekend when we need to tow a trailer. The manual gives a towing weight. All online resources state the 220 AMG Estate can tow. But legally you can't get a tow bar fitted without the VIN plate showing a towing weight according to Macsalvors.

Dealer has suggested we just to take it to someone who won't check the plate, but are not prepared to take responsibility should anything happen (unsurprisingly)!

Has anyone else come across this or experienced similar problems? Given that the E Class Estate is meant to be one of the best towing cars in the world its laughable that the 2016 model can't have a tow bar fitted! I'm aware there are a couple of Saloons versions that can't tow, nor can the 300 AMG Estate, but our model should be able to.

TIA for any responses...

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Usually just the proper AMGs that have not been type approved for towing...this must be a mistake for yours.

OP
K

k127

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 E220 AMG
That's what we thought too, but Merc say they can't change the plate... I was wondering if anyone else has this model and can tell me if theirs shows a towing weight on the VIN.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
sounds to me like you need to take it back to the dealer pronto and get a refund or exchange with one that meets your requirements. Or get Mercedes dealer to fit the tow bar as they said "no problem". Typical salesman

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I have just looked at the on line brochure for the E220 estate, w212...a tow bar is listed as an option for the AMG night edition...go for it.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Maybe I'm confused but the VIN plate should give 3 weights,
front axle max
rear axle max and,
GTW- gross train weight.
So is your GTW the total of the max for front and rear axle?

OP
K

k127

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 E220 AMG
M80 - plate shows front and rear axle weights, but has a line of dashes where the GTW should be.

Naraic - problem is our fitter won't fit the tow bar with the plate as it is, says it's illegal for them to do so. We could just take it to another fitter who might not notice, but if anything should happen in the future it's our heads that would roll given that we're now aware of a problem.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
M80 - plate shows front and rear axle weights, but has a line of dashes where the GTW should be.

Naraic - problem is our fitter won't fit the tow bar with the plate as it is, says it's illegal for them to do so. We could just take it to another fitter who might not notice, but if anything should happen in the future it's our heads that would roll given that we're now aware of a problem.

I appreciate that...have a go at MB though...you wanted a tow car, they said it could tow...nobody will legally fit a tow bar.

OP
K

k127

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 E220 AMG
Yeah that's exactly what we're doing, they accept it's a problem and the local dealer is supposedly trying to find a solution from the Germans but it's been 4 weeks so far and no sign of it being resolved quickly. Just finding out who else is affected would be good, if it's a big problem then we all need to start making some noise.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Make noise immediately and get it in writing that you are rejecting the vehicle if at cannot tow as it's not fit for the reason it was purchased and the salesman was informed that it was needed for towing before the purchase was made.

If you let it roll while they are looking into it without anything in writing they could say you have accepted the car as you have been using it for x weeks and the car is not faulty in any way.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
What he said ^^^ get something in writing immediately to the seller, clearly stating your reasons for rejection.

woodley_bob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E220 Bluetec estate (2016)
Seems a bit strange - just bought one of these last week and had a tow bar fitted by the dealer without problems. (Not the original factory option, but an aftermarket bar).
However looking at the V5 with a magnifying glass, there is no trailer weight quoted.
Not sure if someone at the DVLA has got confused between "AMG styling" and "AMG"? As stated earlier you certainly can't put a towbar on the full AMG cars.

OP
K

k127

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 E220 AMG
Seems a bit strange - just bought one of these last week and had a tow bar fitted by the dealer without problems. (Not the original factory option, but an aftermarket bar).
However looking at the V5 with a magnifying glass, there is no trailer weight quoted.
Not sure if someone at the DVLA has got confused between "AMG styling" and "AMG"? As stated earlier you certainly can't put a towbar on the full AMG cars.

Have you looked at the VIN inside the driver's door? Apparently that's what the fitter should go by. If you could let me know what it says I'd really appreciate it, I don't yet know for certain if other cars say the same thing or if it's just ours. If the VIN also shows a blank space for GTW and my fitter is correct, it's illegal for you to have had that tow bar fitted.

As I'm not getting anywhere with the dealer I contacted some journalist friends last night and a couple of major motoring mags have already picked it up and are investigating - they say this discrepancy should not be possible. It appears either Merc are marketing a car as a towing vehicle when it cannot tow, or they're sending cars out the factory with incorrect VINs.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I'd guess that Merc have in their infinite wisdom not got Type approval for the AMG body kit and towing, I'm sure I've read something similar somewhere before?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I'd guess that Merc have in their infinite wisdom not got Type approval for the AMG body kit and towing, I'm sure I've read something similar somewhere before?

I think one of the Go-faster ST Mondeos had the same problem due to being lower than a standard car & having the Go-faster skirts etc

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I think one of the Go-faster ST Mondeos had the same problem due to being lower than a standard car & having the Go-faster skirts etc

its to do with the exhausts on those. I can go an buy, for example, a focus ST from the showroom and its not type approved to tow (plus its got a central exhaust tailpipe on the focus, but its the same for the fiesta which has the tailpipe to one side) BUT I can buy the normal version (of either car) with the 'appearance pack' (what used to be the RS bodykit when I was in the dealerships) and fit a towbar with no issues!

you would actually think that the slightly stiffer (if slightly lower) suspension and improved brakes on the real ST (or RS for that matter) would be BETTER for towing!

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
you would actually think that the slightly stiffer (if slightly lower) suspension and improved brakes on the real ST (or RS for that matter) would be BETTER for towing!

I'd think a softer suspension with more travel would be best, going around a corner and hitting a bump or pothole would be less of an issue.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I'd think a softer suspension with more travel would be best, going around a corner and hitting a bump or pothole would be less of an issue.

yes but theres also the fact that a stiffer set up would mean less need for 'spring assisters' etc

perhaps stiffer and longer travel is the best way. still annoying though as I was thinking of a fiesta or focus ST next time I change car but as I need a towbar for the trailer, I cant (or I fit it myself and risk it, on a Fiesta as the trailer isn't huge and isn't used often)

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
A few have not mentioned type approved, well my quad which is road legal has ***** in type approval number !
Engine number- unknown
c02(g/km) is also blank !
No axle or vehicle weights.
No mention of seating capacity.
This a 2010 plg registered vehicle which can tow a trailer too !

So if im allowed on the road with so many important items not listed ,then surely if the manufacturer says its good (as im sure it probably is in germany) then whoever says no here is just being a jobsworth, especially if mercedes list a genuine towbar for the vehicle!

woodley_bob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E220 Bluetec estate (2016)
Have you looked at the VIN inside the driver's door? Apparently that's what the fitter should go by. If you could let me know what it says I'd really appreciate it, I don't yet know for certain if other cars say the same thing or if it's just ours. If the VIN also shows a blank space for GTW and my fitter is correct, it's illegal for you to have had that tow bar fitted.

As I'm not getting anywhere with the dealer I contacted some journalist friends last night and a couple of major motoring mags have already picked it up and are investigating - they say this discrepancy should not be possible. It appears either Merc are marketing a car as a towing vehicle when it cannot tow, or they're sending cars out the factory with incorrect VINs.

Hi there
I can confirm that the plate inside driver's door says:
<VIN>
2410 kg
--- kg
1- 1090 kg
2- 1320 kg

I have a feeling that 1 is unbraked and 2 is braked towing weight.
But the V5 does not give a towing weight at all.

Agree this is probably cock-up and just not registering the vehicle correctly. It has air rear suspension like all E estates and the tow gear certainly doesn't foul the bodywork.

Am planning to stick my bike carrier on the back and hope all will be well!

Top Bottom