Noisey Rattle

Brian Mac

Reaction score
Ive been told a rattle in the front suspension of my 91 190E is the top strut mountings needing replaced,
My question is can i change these without taking the shock and spring out.
any advise would be helpful.
Thanks Brian

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
it's a easy job........jack it up remove the wheel then undo the nuts as per the photo pull the strut down from the underside & hold then lift off the old mount & fit the new then pop it back in place & bolt it up 01[1].jpg

OP
B

Brian Mac

Reaction score
Thank you Roofless i will try that this weekend. :lol:

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
Thank you Roofless i will try that this weekend. :lol:

just check you don't have a broken spring first as it's a very common fault & could cause the rattle ;) but the mounts do perish & split

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Brian as you will see when the wheel is off the spring and strut mounts are seperate from shocks and easy to work on ---( AS ROOFLESS )--tells you have a good look first before you buy any parts- at worst it could be a cracked spring -- at best you might only need to tighten it up?

OP
B

Brian Mac

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice,
i opened the bonnet last nite and bounced on the wing and the rubbers in the top mounts are bouncing out of the car, so i assume they dfo need changed.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
The only modification I would suggest would be to jack the car up so that the wheel is just about to leave the floor - i.e., keep a little weight on the wheel.

Then, when you remove the upper strut mounting, the suspension won't drop any further. Without the wheel in place, the strut is acting as the stop for the suspension.

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
Thank you for the advice,
i opened the bonnet last nite and bounced on the wing and the rubbers in the top mounts are bouncing out of the car, so i assume they dfo need changed.

i just did mine a few weeks back due to the same thing. best check the other side when your at it

meanie

Reaction score
The only modification I would suggest would be to jack the car up so that the wheel is just about to leave the floor - i.e., keep a little weight on the wheel.

Then, when you remove the upper strut mounting, the suspension won't drop any further. Without the wheel in place, the strut is acting as the stop for the suspension.

.....Or jack the car up & place it on axle stands (for safety).Take the wheel off & put the jack under the ball joint (so that it can't slip) & take the spring load there.
It's a good idea to double cover your arse by placing a sturdy steel bar up the middle of the wishbone,spring & top spring seat.Then if the spring does slip it won't smack you in the face!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom