Noisy brakes at slow speed.

gtguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d
Bought a C220d (W205) in July but for a number of months now, brakes are irritatingly squeaky on slow manoeuvres.had local garage change front pads as first remedy but still getting this ****** noise! any help appreciated thanks.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

Did they use anti-squeal paste?

Did they use genuine Mercedes pads? - Aftermarket ones can be slightly out on sizes, allowing them to move and make noise

Reactions: DSK
OP
G

gtguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d
Thanks for the reply Blobcat.they did use the paste but not OE pads.they have fitted these pads(name escapes me! ) with great success but not on mine unfortunately.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
I think the pads need lifted out everything properly cleaned of any dust etc and greased where suitable and put back in , 90% sure this would resolve the noise , as long as calipers pistons have been checked they are nice and free along with the sliders. Which should also be lubricated.

Manc Rick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220 Premium +, 2017 with OM654.
It seems a lot of the time when pads are changed they are just slotted in without any paste / grease. In your case you have said they did in fact apply paste, so as above, I would take the pads off and clean everything with a brush and some brake cleaner, then reapply with paste. I use liquid moly anti squeal paste but have previously used copper grease.

OP
G

gtguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d
Thanks both.indeed,credit to the garage,they took sliders/callipers off and gave them a wire brush and clean up,and took pics for proof.they were in dire need of the clean too.not really wanting to go to a dealer for obvious reasons so might be back to the same garage for advice.will certainly ask about the anti squeal /liquid moly

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Fwiw I second Blobcat.

Whilst aftermarket stuff can be ok and if it’s been used the slight movement is what causes the noise even if paste has been used! It’s seems to be worse now than years ago. E.g I changed the discs and pads on the CLS219 with Brembo discs and pads from Eueocarparts and despite all the usual precautions they squeak at low speeds.

I’ll be trying ATE next on the CLS and staying Genuine on the S class for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

gtguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d
Thanks, and interesting DSK. might have to buy original and get my garage to fit as these are driving me nuts!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Yes, ^+1 I learnt many years ago original equipment all the way for me aftermarket just isn’t worth the hassle and trouble

OP
G

gtguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d
Well, had front pads fitted today by same garage (this time from same company that supplies Mercedes )....still the same!! I am going to have to have rear pads changed next week too but am 100% sure this is not going to change things.garage confirm everything is working correctly(pistons,calipers, etc) and paste and shims all applied.they showed me a GLA in their compound that had exactly the same problem.their thinking is that due to the heavy kerb weight of these mercs, and the automatic requiring foot brake pressure on starting,that the pads are taking the weight until moving off and so unduly causing excess noise.I realise this is just their opinion, but it does tend to make sense.any thoughts on this folks.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Well, had front pads fitted today by same garage (this time from same company that supplies Mercedes )....still the same!! I am going to have to have rear pads changed next week too but am 100% sure this is not going to change things.garage confirm everything is working correctly(pistons,calipers, etc) and paste and shims all applied.they showed me a GLA in their compound that had exactly the same problem.their thinking is that due to the heavy kerb weight of these mercs, and the automatic requiring foot brake pressure on starting,that the pads are taking the weight until moving off and so unduly causing excess noise.I realise this is just their opinion, but it does tend to make sense.any thoughts on this folks.
Only makes sense to the garage trying to get you out the door… No squeal or noise if everything is correct.

Only car I know with noisy brakes at low speed is a Bentley with the ceramic pads and disc setup. Excellent on the track, noisy as hell on the school run…

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
what a load of horse doo doo

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom