noisy engine 1998 300 td

daz250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 e280 estate e300td 1998 estate, 2004 aventgaurde estate
please help got the car on saturday drove it home from nottingham with no problems, drove the car that everning and noticed a loud tapping noise from the front of the engine and it has got worse and there is lots of blue smoke coming from the exshaust , any help would be appreiciated thanks daz , had suggestions that it could be a sticking valve or timming chain tensioner but would that make it smoke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKyX0KAjPvg

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Blocked injector by the sound of it and the shudder at 1,500 rpm.

Try two tests, one is to rev slowly from 1,000-2,000rpm and observe shudder and smoke, the other is to rev sharply and let the revs fall back to idle. If the noise stops on over-run until the fuel comes back on it has to be combustion related.

Run the engine from a bottle of injector cleaner by fitting a pipe to the filter input and from the return pipe.

Has that car been run on vegetable oil?

I also note the fan cowl is missing, but that's not important...along with the fan.

Other causes of the noise could be the EGR valve sticking open or bizarrely the MAF, but I'm pretty sure it's an injector.

OP
D

daz250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 e280 estate e300td 1998 estate, 2004 aventgaurde estate
thanks

hi dieselman, the chap who had the car before me said that he had a problem with the egv valve because the engine was rough on start up so he cleaned it and after that the car starts ok. when starting it, it does not make a noise until it starts to get warm and also he had reconditioned injectors fitted, on the veg oil it do smell abit that way as i have used it before on a 1992 300 diesel, thanks daren

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom