Noisy Power Steering?

harrisis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 C-coupe 220Cdi
Hey Folks.

I've noticed occasionally now for a few months of a 'whine/grumble' from what I think is the PAS. Hard cornering and it'll start to make a strange noise. This will last for maybe a minute even once straightened out, then stop. Starting again maybe a few corners later.

Any hints?

W203 coupe. 2003. 220CDi. 84k miles.

Thanks!

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
Hey Folks.

I've noticed occasionally now for a few months of a 'whine/grumble' from what I think is the PAS. Hard cornering and it'll start to make a strange noise. This will last for maybe a minute even once straightened out, then stop. Starting again maybe a few corners later.

Any hints?

W203 coupe. 2003. 220CDi. 84k miles.

Thanks!

oil level ok?

rolfy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180 Kompressor Coupe (57 reg)
Low PAS fluid

Yorkshire's right - this sounds just like the problem I've had on my C220 CDI - low PAS fluid - it's a quick job to top up - just check the dipstick in the reservoir - but don't overfill - you'd be surprised at how little you have to add.

Oh, and make sure you get the right fluid for your car.

Now, if I could only work out where it's going!

Last edited:

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
Air in the System?

I had this problem on a Volvo V70 a few years ago - a "groaning" in the PAS which got worse and worse. PAS reservoir was full of "mayonnaise" ie aerated fluid. In this case, leak turned out to be from a crack in the fluid reservoir, but could be in pump, rack or connecting pipes.

Top Bottom