Non fault and premium hikes.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
On another note....

When do you renew your insurance policy?
I've had quotes in the past but left it till it's due to expire before getting new quotes and renewing, "Oh the quote is not higher sir" is the usual line.

Well guess what, it's not just an unlucky rise!
Insurers base the price on risk assessments. They found people that leave it to the last few days to renew are statistically more likely to make a claim as they are "risk takers".
The best time too look for a renewal and act on it, is 21 days before yours is due to run out.
After that time to price is highly likely to increase.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Huh! And I detest the whole thing almost as much as the annual tax return, with the ducking and diving to get a reasonable quote... so much that I'd leave it until midnight on the last day if I could!

But the most stupid thing is if you ask for the renewal price early (as I did a few years back because we were going to Australia for 6 weeks) they tell you they can't quote yet ("Computer says no..."). That turned out to be a good year though - in a fit of pique I got a couple of quotes by phone from other companies (no problem at all when I told them why I wanted to arrange the cover in advance) and when I checked later I'd saved about £100!

Lord Bungle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 C220 Elegance Saloon
I have a rather perverted view of insurers. They're robbing, thieving barstewards out to screw you at every opportunity. Would be good if an insurer out there would come clean and honestly explain the rationale (?) they use. I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.
I am not sure that is a perverted view of insurers, that or I know an awful lot of perverts.

Lord Bungle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 C220 Elegance Saloon
The insurance on my ex London Taxi jumped from £450 to £1600 last year, when I questioned it I was told "It's because you might use it as a Taxi." After I questioned the marital status of the insurers parents, I rang back, found out the 'clerk' had forgotten to include my no claims bonus in the original quote, but as it was now due the following day the best quote they could do as it was short notice came in at £750.
the C class is coming in at £280 fully comp :/

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
On another note....

When do you renew your insurance policy?
I've had quotes in the past but left it till it's due to expire before getting new quotes and renewing, "Oh the quote is now higher sir" is the usual line.

Oops, fixed typo ^

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Has anybody ever had a non fault claim and done the following as an experiment:

Get a quote based on no accident, then call back another time and say "D'oh, I forgot there was a claim that wasn't my fault"?

How has that affected the premium? I would would the be reasonable basis to challenge such a situation legally?

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
I object to the terms 'at fault or not at fault' I had a bird strike the bonnet of my hire car, the hire company had a fixed penalty of £700 for a dent. I had excess insurance who paid up but had to declare this to my own insurance who logged it as at fault, when I complained they said it is at fault if the money cannot be recovered from the third party, in this case the bird, so they should call it recoverable or non recoverable

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Has anybody ever had a non fault claim and done the following as an experiment:

Get a quote based on no accident, then call back another time and say "D'oh, I forgot there was a claim that wasn't my fault"?

How has that affected the premium? I would would the be reasonable basis to challenge such a situation legally?

Yup - 38% uplift in premium for a "no fault" claim!

When I enquired how that worked, because I had protected NCB at the time, I was told it was an "incident fee" that gets applied to any claim, and that I was not to worry because y MCB would not be affected.

The young lady was completely incapable of comprehending my argument that they have rendered the NCB pointless, if they apply a penalty by another name. "No, no Sir, your NCB won't be affected - you still have X years you can declare!".

"Yes", says I, "but it may as well be X minus 10yrs as you're raising my premium 38% regardless of me paying for protected NCB!"

Insurance companies - vague as you like, wonky algorithms, and, generally speaking, a complete scam! Personally, I put NCB and their general practice right up their with PPI.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Yup - 38% uplift in premium for a "no fault" claim!

When I enquired how that worked, because I had protected NCB at the time, I was told it was an "incident fee" that gets applied to any claim, and that I was not to worry because y MCB would not be affected.

The young lady was completely incapable of comprehending my argument that they have rendered the NCB pointless, if they apply a penalty by another name. "No, no Sir, your NCB won't be affected - you still have X years you can declare!".

"Yes", says I, "but it may as well be X minus 10yrs as you're raising my premium 38% regardless of me paying for protected NCB!"

Insurance companies - vague as you like, wonky algorithms, and, generally speaking, a complete scam! Personally, I put NCB and their general practice right up their with PPI.
It's why I don't protect the NCB, it makes no difference at all. All their wonderful add-on's are nothing more than extra revenue generators.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
It's why I don't protect the NCB, it makes no difference at all. All they're wonderful add-on's are nothing more than extra revenue generators.

It's the only thing I do tick, in the vain hope of having some argument against them in the unfortunate event it's called upon.

But yes, it is basically just an arbitrary number, with little or no meaning at the end of the day it seems!

She declined to comment when I asked her views on charging for something that they do not then deliver... :rolleyes:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
It's why I don't protect the NCB, it makes no difference at all. All they're wonderful add-on's are nothing more than extra revenue generators.

That is something I do do. It worked for me twice within a three period. The first time was when some Crack Head slashed the roof of my, dare I say, BMW convertible, and the second time was when somebody reversed into the passenger door on a Focus that I had during the night and scarpered. Both times it was the same insurer and I had asked for NCB protection. I have since changed to Tesco's and hopefully it won't happen again, maybe...... :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom