Normal running temp of C220D?

harrisis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 C-coupe 220Cdi
Hi all,

I was checking some threads about MPG returned, specifically for my W203 220D. (I dont think its what it should be)....

Anyway, one comment I noted said check the temperature. So I've been watching it last few days. Given that its the middle of summer, it wasnt raining or anything.... Even when I'm stuck in traffic for 20mins, or driving it hard... I can't get it above an indicated 80. Mostly its on 70.

As its my first diesel, (first Merc, first auto, first rear wheel drive too :lol:) I'm not sure what is normal for it. Sounds low to me, so am I loosing MPG due to running the 'glow plugs' or whatever?

Thanks for any hints.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would change the thermostat first,,not too hard to change

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 520d SE F10, formerly c220cdi estate (for 12.5 years and 345k miles), before that w124 and w210
I would not worry about the temp not going over 70C.

My C220 cdi (2002) regularly sits at 70C, and has done since it was new. The only times that it has ever reached 80C are when I am towing a caravan (got close to 90C), and giving it a blast up the motorway in 4th gear before the MOT.

I think that unless you really strain them, they don't get that hot.

Baldrick123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 "03" 220cdi
I have the same car, I had a problem where it wouldn't go above 60 degrees. A new thermostat solved it and it now sits nicely at 90 degrees, this improved the MPG.

Andy

OP
H

harrisis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 C-coupe 220Cdi
Have just called the local service desk at MB. They quote 85-104 (with fan cut in at 104) as normal running temps.

So after the run home tonight I'll park up and idle for a while and see how hot it gets.

Oh, and their quote was £168.50 (parts/vat/labour) for swapping the thermostat.

OP
H

harrisis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 C-coupe 220Cdi
Having sat watching the temp gauge, and the engine fan for best part of an hour tonight... I noticed something... With the AC 'on' the engine fan runs constantly, which I would guess is going to keep the engine artificially cooler. Its going to draw air across the engine rad, as well as the AC rad.

So, question for folks... Do you run with the AC 'on' / 'off' / 'auto'?

I've been running with it 'on' constantly in the warm the last few weeks. Although on a mild temp. Might I be best leaving it in 'auto' at the temp I'm aiming for in the cabin?

I'd guess in 'auto' the compressor will switch on and off, with the fan in sync. So that should reduce the engine cooling side effect?

With the AC 'off' (and interior blower off) I was able to see the engine temp hit nearly 100 before I got bored...Tho it took its time. But I'd guess diesel perhaps unlikely to hit 104 when idle.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom