north Wales RAF training

True romance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk280 (2008 face lift)
Had a blast out to the coast (north Wales) yesterday with my daughter. On the way back coming down Dinas Mawddwy I got buzzed by 2 RAF fighters, the first one I didn't see just heard, first thought was the back end of the car had fell off (lol), the second one came straight at us. This was an amazing sight with the aircraft being so low and close to the roads, so would like to know if any members who live in North Wales or anyone who may know if there is any way to find out when the RAF have training flights, and were would be the best viewing spot? Now this may well be a closely guarded secret, but I suspect they probably fly around the same times each week?? Would love to see the fighters again in the wild so to speak, airshows are OK but with all the regulations lately you don't really get that close or appreciate the pilots skill when flying between mountains.

Thanks,
TR.

p.s. my SLK was superb along the twisting mountain roads, well impressed.

Jay Gee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Honda
I'm sure that security is tight on this,but I agree with you totally.Awesome and frightens you half to death :D.Another good place is the Ogwen valley coming down towards Bethesda.The valley floor is lower than the road,so if you're in a high vehicle,you are actually looking down on this jet :shock:I've experienced this twice,and the second time was just as scary.The Yanks come to Valley RAF base fairly regularly also.They have the real heavy metal.Have asked several times about advance notice from people who work at the base-they know my reasons are innocent,but no chance.Best way really.

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Bala lake in North Wales is a good low level dive bombing exercise area and has been for years --they skim across the water--of course totally denied by the MOD and all "top secret" wink wink nod nod.

torquewrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C220 1995 Elegance 100k
Low flying jets

That particular area of wales where they fly low is called the Mach loop, if you type this into you tube there are literally dozens of videos, and thousands of photographs, enjoy.

LSD

Reaction score
Nice to see people posting that appreciate the spectacle instead of moaning about the noise :cool:

My mum lives on a small mountain on the Lleyn peninsula looking at Snowdonia. They rip through the valley there often, from RAF Valley, lower than the cottage, giving a great view down onto them. Occasionally some aerobatics too at altitude when it's clear.

Splatt

Reaction score
Better still if they could get the avionics sorted out on the 8 Mk 3`s which have been gathering dust since the MOD took delivery in 2001. What a difference they would make to the boys in Afghanistan.

OP
T

True romance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk280 (2008 face lift)
well I was off work again today, the sun was out so made up a packed lunch for me and the nipper. sorted out my camera/camcorder, found some great place's to take pic's. Started off in lovely sunshine so whipped the roof off and set off for Wales :D. Got the other side of Welshpool and the weather was pants! very low cloud, rain, cold, etc......what a let down :(. gave up looking for planes as the cloud was so low. went on to the coast and came back through the mountains which was a nice drive. But whats happening to our weather?? Its just getting worst and worst. Then to rub salt into the wound my old man who as a caravan in welshpool phoned me just as we got home to say some fighter jets had just gone over very, very low :mad:

kwak zzr

Reaction score
funny this thread came up lol, i was camping early'r this week up against the cadis idris near the tal-y-lynn lake and these fighter jets were coming over in pairs EAR SPLITTIG low :) what a sight supurb!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
As for the noise it could be worse if they dropped in for tea.

Happily, in this country there are "generally ours"! Assuming no friendly fire in the UK, we can forget the problem that they have in other countries, trying to decide whether the nice man in the lovely airplane is a goody or a bady!

Splatt

Reaction score
A year or two back driving out of Dorchester I climbed a steep hill and going over a sharp crest at the summit found myself eyeball to eyeball with the pilot of a Chinook who was skimming the crest from the reciprocal direction . That was a bit hairy,

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
A year or two back driving out of Dorchester I climbed a steep hill and going over a sharp crest at the summit found myself eyeball to eyeball with the pilot of a Chinook who was skimming the crest from the reciprocal direction . That was a bit hairy,

That'll teach him to reciprocate in a rotary wing aircraft! :rolleyes:;)

Top Bottom