Not a helpless female - but would like some assistance with a PCP

AMGDi

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63
Hi Everyone

Love cars, but compared to some people & the wonderful metal they own - the vehicle from our collection that I need help on is a pretty boring one.

Firstly, apologies if this isn't the correct forum location.

My husband has a C200 AMG Line Estate which was purchased through a 3yr PCP. The 'purchase date' was 01/03/2016 and MB have requested that he returns it on 01 March this year.

Now to my thoughts the contract should really end on 28 February as strictly you are starting a new year on 01 March, but maybe that's just semantics.

The questions that spring to my mind are:-

Even though MB have never raised the subject in any of the telephone conversations or written correspondence over the last few weeks, it is understood through a friend of mine that when we drop the car off at the local dealership they would expect the car to have received an MOT plus a full service.

The service isn't a problem; the salesperson cocked up the original order and the wrong lights were fitted, consequently they offered 3yrs worth of free servicing - the MOT though? If we returned the car on the 28 February, surely as a 3yr vehicle it wouldn't require one - that would be down to MB to cover. Is that why they are asking for it to be bought back on the 01st and a new tax year and therefore a MOT is mandatory.

Additionally, as the car tax runs out on 28 February, would it also make sense to return it on that date? It is appreciated that we would get a refund from the DLVA once the V5C is returned.

Apart from scuffed wheels, we don't believe there is any damage on the car that couldn't be attributed to the 'fair wear & tear' clarification, but understand that MB can be pretty mercurial over this.

Are there any recommendations from fellow members - is worth while just getting the local wheel refurbishment company to action their magic?? I've looked at the BVRLA site to gauge their advice, but I'm still not sure how a MB employee will view said wheels.

I've had a few MB vehicles myself over the past decade purchased through PCP's but have always changed early and the respective sales people have never taken any interest in the damaged wheels, even when the wheel scuffing has been worse than my husband's current car. Clearly we know why that it is.

Thanks
D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Never had PCP , but can't you just ring the garage and ask to drop off and return on the 28th (maybe you are going on holiday the next day ?) .
Ask them about the wheel/tyre condition when you arrange this ?

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I haven’t checked my paperwork so I’m working from memory but I’m pretty sure an MOT is required at the end of the contract.

If you return the car on the 1st, you will not get the RFL refund for that month so it seems to make sense that it is left at the dealers on the last day of the month. It won’t make any difference to the lease company anyway.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Get the MOT done (lots of £30 options available) and drop it off on the 28th. Make sure you photograph everything so when the bill comes back for damage you can dispute it.

I’d also want them to check it all over and sign it back in whilst I was present. No one likes surprises like the ones you can get from returning cars...

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
In the original pack you got with the car was a Vehicle Return Standard 'kit' that included a gauge for dents and dings, wheel scuffs. Ensure the VRS is the revision at the date of the PCP start. MB try to use the latest revision on returning the car which may have different standards today than 3 years ago.

There may be a clause on premium tyres and tread depths too.

The service record is electronic and is called the Digital Service Record held by MB, make sure it reflects all the services, but more importantly when the next one is due which may be after the return date. Ask for a print out of the service record from your dealer and retain it.

MB will try to charge you full whack for wheels to be renewed, so best get them done before you return the car.

Run the fuel tank empty.

In respect of returning it. It is for MB to work that out. Write and tell them the car will be available on 28/2 at location X. MB use BCA to collect them, the collection agent will contact your hubby to arrange collection. If they are too busy, as may be the case with the change in registration, make sure you SORN the car before midnight on 28/2, and write to MB to tell them to insure it at their risk, not yours, should it not be collected. You may not be able to return it to the supplying dealer if they are busy with new stock for the registration change. The contract is with the selling dealer btw.

HTH

Last edited:

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
Not sure if there is a balloon payment at the end of an MB PCP (option to buy?).

If so, I would cancel the DD on the 28th Feb, as they may try to take it.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Phew, your head must be spinning, welcome to the forum anyway. You ask for advise on here and you sure do get it in spade loads :)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
In the original pack you got with the car was a Vehicle Return Standard 'kit' that included a gauge for dents and dings, wheel scuffs. Ensure the VRS is the revision at the date of the PCP start. MB try to use the latest revision on returning the car which may have different standards today than 3 years ago.

There may be a clause on premium tyres and tread depths too.

The service record is electronic and is called the Digital Service Record held by MB, make sure it reflects all the services, but more importantly when the next one is due which may be after the return date. Ask for a print out of the service record from your dealer and retain it.

MB will try to charge you full whack for wheels to be renewed, so best get them done before you return the car.

Run the fuel tank empty.

In respect of returning it. It is for MB to work that out. Write and tell them the car will be available on 28/2 at location X. MB use BCA to collect them, the collection agent will contact your hubby to arrange collection. If they are too busy, as may be the case with the change in registration, make sure you SORN the car before midnight on 28/2, and write to MB to tell them to insure it at their risk, not yours, should it not be collected. You may not be able to return it to the supplying dealer if they are busy with new stock for the registration change. The contract is with the selling dealer btw.

HTH

The key word above is "write", "write", "write". I worked in major projects (engineering/construction) on the commercial side my whole life and my motto was ...."if it isn't written, it was never said"....

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
The key word above is "write", "write", "write". I worked in major projects (engineering/construction) on the commercial side my whole life and my motto was ...."if it isn't written, it was never said"....

Did they come in on time and under budget, or was it typical commercial engineering, over run and over cost? :)
Were they estimated or properly costed? :)
Was the contract form Never Ending Claims (NEC)? following on from bid low, claim high :)

You know when a project is going t1ts up, legions of QSs appear, payments get longer, forests get consumed :)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Did they come in on time and under budget Time, budget and quality ;-) !, or was it typical commercial engineering, over run and over cost? :) Generally close to targets
Were they estimated or properly costed? :) Fast track - so estimates only
Was the contract form Never Ending Claims (NEC)? following on from bid low, claim high :) Good bid evaluation and contract negotiaton should eliminate this.

You know when a project is going t1ts up, legions of QSs appear, payments get longer, forests get consumed :) Agree

Generally - the projects I worked on were successful - but you can't win them all. I worked mainly on the client side (Shell ,Exxon Mobil, Qatargas etc) but also for international Tier 1 contractors e.g. Bechtel, Fluor. These days with modern contacts and tough LD clauses, contractors keep their eye on the ball.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom