Not a merc, but can anyone help ? Oil consumption.

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi everyone, forgive me as this question is not about a merc, but somone out there may know somthing ? my friend has a vw passat. 2.0 lit. tdi.140 bhp. sport. 55 plate. with 26,000 miles on the clock.

he is consuming a litre of oil every 1,000 miles ? it does not put out any pale blue smoke ? and he cannot see any signs of leakage on his driveway ?

somone has told him that the problem should resolve itself when he has clocked up 60,000 miles or more ?

i would assume this theory would be based on the build up of carbon etc. but why is there no signs of where the oil is going ?

any help much appreciated. herbiemercman.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
1Ltr per 1K miles is within tolerances according to most manufacturers. I think they see it that with long intervals between services then adding 1Ltr every 1K miles effectively gives another oil change between services.
As the car has low miles for its age I suspect it hasn't been run in.

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Time for a good old Italian tune up.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
VWs are well known for oil burning during their earlier years and lower mileages..Hondas as well ..If he is using a fully synthetic oil he can try changing to a semi synthetic and change the oil at earlier intervals. Best bet 'tho is to speak to a few VW dealers and get their views on it

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
A mate had the same on his passat (co-incidentally). That one was a 2.8 V6 - same issue 1l per 1k. Dealer said it was normal - not much they could do anyway I guess.

Dunvale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
01 ML 270cdi (w163), 94 E200 (w124)
We have a 95 ford fiesta at home and it uses about a ltr a day!:lol: apparently this is normal for these engines aswell! but she never lets us down.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
We have a 95 ford fiesta at home and it uses about a ltr a day!:lol: apparently this is normal for these engines aswell! but she never lets us down.

I've always thot that fords dont actually go well until they are burning a bit of oil.. have you ever tried any of the anti oil burning additives that are on the market ..some are quite good

LYNALL

Reaction score
If its a pd engine make sure he is using the correct oil, if not kiss the camshaft goodbye!

Lynall

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
we had the 150hp

engine, and it also burned some oil, but not a litre/1000miles. Probably only a third of that.
I'd be tempted to analyse the type of driving, and try the italian tune-up advice from rpe2.
A couple of hundred miles at good steady motorway speeds ( might have to do it at 4 in the morning ) should show up as about a third of a litre if the consumption continues. If it drops, then it's the usual driving style/habit/conditions which might be making it worse.
Definitely not run in until about 50 or 60 k on these engines.
Make sure he parks in the same place and dips after the same interval or in the same conditions.

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
he is consuming a litre of oil every 1,000 miles ? it does not put out any pale blue smoke ? and he cannot see any signs of leakage on his driveway ?
herbiemercman.

I think you need to take him to the nearest A & E department, as this could be serious..;)

I'll get my coat...

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi mercdriver25, i meant his car not him pesonally ! have you any idea why he is loosing the oil ? best wishes. herbiemercman.

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi everyone, i have just e-mailed your welcomed comments to my friend in rothesay, isle of bute. i have also added my view, which is that vw have a design porblem in my opinion.

with todays standards of engineering it is not acceptable for this oil consumption.

i have owned a toyota mk 4 supra from new and it has never consumed any oil, it has now covered 50,000 miles and has experienced some respectable high speeds.

i calculated that if my friend with the vw is paying circa £6 / lit. for the fully synth. oil. then @ 1 lit /1000 miles this equates to 6 pence per lit. on his fuel bill, or 27 pence / gallon.

as most people who purchase diesels are motivated by the mpg cost, then this is why i consider this a design shortcomming.

it is also one of life's inversions if you see that when the car is sold on at say 60,000 miles the new owner will not have the problem when the residue / carbon has repaired the oil seal integrity of the engine.. herbiemercman.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
thats a lot of oil to be using on a new(ish) car! when i worked at a ford dealer, the acceptable figures were 0.5 litre per 1k miles for ALL passenger cars (petrol and diesel) and 1 litre per 1k miles for commercial/commercial based vehicles (transits etc)

djb

Reaction score
Oil consumption in new diesel engines is a particular problem, often made worse by excessive gentle running in, where the lower portion of the bores does not get sufficiently warm & shines rather than bedding in correctly. Prolonged higher power running can help in the correction of this. Suppliers to jersey had more severe problems than most, for the lack of higher power use.

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
When I was at the point of replacing my Mazda 6 I did look at the VW Passat 2ltr Diesel, and luckily I put off my decision to buy it until I had done a bit of research, I googled VW 2ltr Diesel and this engine got a real dogging for not only its appetite for oil but also for its DPF problems, I dont believe all I read, so I asked around my mates quite a few are in the motor trade, and they all said that these engines used enormous amounts of oil even after high mileages, they reckon that the old PD 1.9 Diesel was no problem and didn't use oil but the 2ltr was another story entirely,nobody could come up with a reason for this though, but I must add I have noticed quite a few Audi,s and VW etc blowing blue smoke when on the motorway so possibly the owner wouldn't notice the smoke when bombing down a motorway. I can honestly say if my car used a litre of oil every 1000mls I would soon get rid.:(sorry that all this drivel hasn't helped your mate but at least ive enjoyed the rant:p

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thankyou alfiebeard and everyone else, you have answered the question very well. herbiemercman.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
It seems VW /Audi have made a bit of a boob with the 2ltr diesel engine, some are good but most are terrible, the trade doesnt like them..

simon_wall69

Reaction score
It seems VW /Audi have made a bit of a boob with the 2ltr diesel engine, some are good but most are terrible, the trade doesnt like them..

I've heard this as well from a VW mechanic; the diesel v6s are meant to be very good though.

They have been around a while now so I would assume that the problems are being rectified. They must be one of the most common engines on the roads now.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom