Not a Merc but need advice please

MissyD

Reaction score
Website
www.depop.com
Your Mercedes
E200 1993, E300 Coupe 2019
My son (bless him!) was working on one of his cars when the axle stands propping it up gave way. As you can see in the pics the wheels where off to do the work and so when the axle stands gave way the car dropped so low into the gravel he isnt able to get a jack under it!

Any suggestions as to how he can get the car back up please, boys eh :mad:, think he should stick to selling them.

SP_A0075.jpg

SP_A0076.jpg

Beaucoupnice

Reaction score
Ouch!! what a bugger. Perhaps dig a hole underneath a jacking point. Put a brick in the hole and put the jack on it. lift it up to a safe height and place bricks under to stabilise it. Lower jack, remove it and relocate to another jacking point where there is no hole. Put wheels back on and move car to a hard surface and keep hand brake on and put a brick behind wheels to stop it doing it again. :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You will be able to lift it an inch or two by by using a scaffold plank with the end dug under the suspension, or a hefty piece of timber in under the front suspension, you can remove the gravel to do this, then place the plank on a brick or piece of 4 x 4 wood placed near to the car,so the the end of the plank or wood under the suspension you can lever up the car a few inches, then put blocks under the wheel hub. it will be a few inches at a time and can be done, just keep lifting a little at a time. I have done it this way

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Get two strong lads to lift it with their hands. Many years ago my Aunty drove over a ledge in a carpark and a couple of local lads just picked it up and put it back. Failing local muscle a lever under the jacking point should give you enough clearance to get a scissor jack under once you (sorry he) have dug out some of the gravel. I wouldn't like to try this with my V12.

Looks like a good exercise in physics for your son. Who said education doesn't pay.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Get two strong lads to lift it with their hands. Many years ago my Aunty drove over a ledge in a carpark and a couple of local lads just picked it up and put it back. Failing local muscle a lever under the jacking point should give you enough clearance to get a scissor jack under once you (sorry he) have dug out some of the gravel. I wouldn't like to try this with my V12.

Looks like a good exercise in physics for your son. Who said education doesn't pay.

Yes just one person standing with their back to the wheel arch can lift it a few inches, the block it,only one side at a time though

OP
MissyD

MissyD

Reaction score
Website
www.depop.com
Your Mercedes

thanks mike, like that time he changed the wheels on a Peugeot I had, I couldnt drive it because they werent the correct size, but he said 'they look good tho!' I dont let him anywhere near my Merc :cool:

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks mike, like that time he changed the wheels on a Peugeot I had, I couldnt drive it because they werent the correct size, but he said 'they look good tho!' I dont let him anywhere near my Merc :cool:

I find aesthetics and physics are incompatible sciences. Just look at NASA.

Last edited:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
My son (bless him!) was working on one of his cars when the axle stands propping it up gave way. As you can see in the pics the wheels where off to do the work and so when the axle stands gave way the car dropped so low into the gravel he isnt able to get a jack under it!

You've had the suggestions about lifting it again, but did he have the axle stands standing on the gravel? That's incredibly dangerous.

Also, when the car is lifted and the wheels taken off, they should be slid under the sills, so if the axles stands do slip then the car only drops on to the wheels. It might mess them up but it could save your sons life or at least an arm, if he's working under the car.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Thankfully he wasnt working on the car at the time

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You've had the suggestions about lifting it again, but did he have the axle stands standing on the gravel? That's incredibly dangerous.

Also, when the car is lifted and the wheels taken off, they should be slid under the sills, so if the axles stands do slip then the car only drops on to the wheels. It might mess them up but it could save your sons life or at least an arm, if he's working under the car.

Could be a candidate for the Darwin Awards :)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
when the axle stands gave way the car dropped so low into the gravel he isnt able to get a jack under it!

ive heard of lowering, but thats ridiculous!

Last edited:

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi lift the bonnet drop a bottle jack in somewhere maybe under the anti rollbar,
maybe lift the back up as far as possible then put some blocks / maybe the wheels under the chassis as near to the front as possible (each side) then lower the back down get some fat bloke to sit on the back then it might rock the front up of the ground

Kevin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi lift the bonnet drop a bottle jack in somewhere maybe under the anti rollbar,
maybe lift the back up as far as possible then put some blocks / maybe the wheels under the chassis as near to the front as possible (each side) then lower the back down get some fat bloke to sit on the back then it might rock the front up of the ground

Kevin

You cannot jack near the roll bar,it will just bend

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)

should be ok if the jack is placed on the mounting bracket where its attached to the body

OP
MissyD

MissyD

Reaction score
Website
www.depop.com
Your Mercedes
...... get some fat bloke to sit on the back then it might rock the front up of the ground

Kevin

thanks Kevin, thats what I love about this forum, the different levels of technical advice - you've reached my level :shock:

*wanted - one fat bloke!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sarah I didn't realise you were in Halifax today :confused:
2ufyovt.jpg

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
thanks Kevin, thats what I love about this forum, the different levels of technical advice - you've reached my level :shock:

*wanted - one fat bloke!

Problem is that, when volunteers are invited in the old "B" movies, only unmarried men need apply!

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Should be ok I do a lot of this
I don't bother much with jacking on small cars, I have a 1 ton overhead electric hoist with a girder trolley on a RSJ, I just drop a sling down with a bite around the anti roll bar and lift the whole front up 2ft our 3ft seam to work OK.

Kevin

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom