Not changing gears as expected

JCP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 S350 L AMG Line
Hello,

I have a one year only S350 CDI LWB - bought it two weeks ago - its a WDD221 and it drives lovely. However I've noticed on some motorway journeys whilst using cruise control at 70 mph, the revs are 1,500 and a check shows its in 7th gear, which is fine.

On parts of a motorway journey when I have to disable cruise control and slow down in traffic to say 50 mph, and then take the car back to 70 mph on cruise again, when the car gets to 70 mph the engine revs are much higher and a check shows its staying in 6th gear at 70 mph and not shifting up to 7th on flat motorways, even on some downhill sections. It will stay like this for say 10 miles and only changes when I go to manual mode and manually put it into 7th, and then it happily stays in 7th thereafter, until I have to slow it down again.

The dealer has flashed the software and asked me to use it so the car can learn the driving style?!?.

Notwithstanding this comment, is there a data table which shows at what road speed the car should change up into 7th on a flat road? All driving is done in ECO mode when the mode is fully activated.

Is there any suggestions about the fault being within the box or a control module/valve?

Not changing into 7th will kill the fuel consumption.

Thanks in advance of your help with this.

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI W212 (2009)
Sorry to bump this ancient thread, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and resolved it? Assuming the OP won't be coming back here!

I have a strange thing whereby on my W212 E350 with a 7G (not plus) gearbox, after a recent ECU emissions update and whatever else software updates MB have done, my car will now not change into 7th until exactly 74mph - way higher than it used to be.

This means that if you're cruising at 65-70mph you're in 6th and revving higher, wasting fuel.

I've tried several gearbox resets, to no avail.

Thanks!

Ed

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
ive noted on my S320 cdi that it holds gears longer than a petrol equivilant , my old 5.5v8 would be in 7th at 50mph all the time so I presumed that derv models have a different set up to petrols but I have just refurbed my TCU because the car would get stuck in gear

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI W212 (2009)
Thanks for the reply! I've plugged in my iCarsoft MB2 and I've noticed some weird readings on the DPF section. I'm wondering if these results are related. It seems like a sensor or something must be off. If anyone could shed any light on these kind of results, I'd really appreciate it!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 27
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 26

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI W212 (2009)
For some perspective, here are the same readings for my dad's slightly newer E350 CDI (he has the 265BHP version with the 7G+ box). Much more sensible readings.

Attachments

• IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    558 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0553.JPG
    IMG_0553.JPG
    569.1 KB · Views: 20

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
Have you got the latest icarsoft ? You can use it to do a forced regen on the DPF , it appears the car maybe trying to do its own by holding gears to get the DPF upto temp ?

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI W212 (2009)
Hi,

No, I have a very old version and I'm trying to update, but I don't have access to a PC, so I'm running a Mac with Windows 10 as a virtual machine. It doesn't seem to work when I click 'Download', I get the following error (attached pic): "Unzip binfile Failed. Please check TF memory"

I'm assuming that unlike the older MB II systems, I don't need to remove the memory card - it works over the USB cable. and the memory card still in the machine.

I've tried googling it but can't find anybody with the same error. I've emailed iCarSoft support but I suspect I won't get a response very soon.

Having a bit of a nightmare!!!

Ed

Attachments

• VirtualBox_Windows 10_02_01_2020_23_56_00.png
    VirtualBox_Windows 10_02_01_2020_23_56_00.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 14

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Pretty sure it’s because you don’t have enough virtual memory in the VM to allow download and processing (it’s all in memory rather than saved to the HDD).

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Sorry to bump this ancient thread, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and resolved it? Assuming the OP won't be coming back here!

I have a strange thing whereby on my W212 E350 with a 7G (not plus) gearbox, after a recent ECU emissions update and whatever else software updates MB have done, my car will now not change into 7th until exactly 74mph - way higher than it used to be.

This means that if you're cruising at 65-70mph you're in 6th and revving higher, wasting fuel.

I've tried several gearbox resets, to no avail.

Thanks!

Ed

Thinking out of the box - do you do any long runs? My wife's car had problems with the DPF when she was only doing very short journeys (max 15min) ....Since or son moved further away, (45 min drive) we've had no more problems. Perhaps you need a long hot run?

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI W212 (2009)
Pretty sure it’s because you don’t have enough virtual memory in the VM to allow download and processing (it’s all in memory rather than saved to the HDD).

Hey man, I'm not talking about downloading the update from the internet via a browser, I mean clicking 'Download' on the iCarSoft program to 'download' the update to the TF/memory card in the MB2.0. Check out the attached screenshot. I'll try increasing VM anyway (it's seems fine)

Bet your dad has a Windows-based PC.

You'd think so, but unfortunately he has an iMac! Apparently he had 'one of the first Macs in the UK' back in the 80s, as he keeps telling me. Doesn't help me now though does it!

Thinking out of the box - do you do any long runs? My wife's car had problems with the DPF when she was only doing very short journeys (max 15min) ....Since or son moved further away, (45 min drive) we've had no more problems. Perhaps you need a long hot run?

Yes, lots of long hot runs here. I think something must be off - the temp values are in minus/negative figures and there's no way it hasn't really regen'd in that many miles and is still running well, and with no codes!

Last edited:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Hey man, I'm not talking about downloading the update from the internet via a browser, I mean clicking 'Download' on the iCarSoft program to 'download' the update to the TF/memory card in the MB2.0. Check out the attached screenshot. I'll try increasing VM anyway (it's seems fine)
It will seem fine, even if you're using the download to the device it still places it in a temp location in the VM before moving it on. That said I'm not an expert in this so might not make a difference, just worth a shot

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI W212 (2009)
I just got a response from iCarSoft on FB, they told me to format the card and try again. I'll give it a go...

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI W212 (2009)
Guys, sorry for derailing the thread, but:

I have updated the iCarSoft and it doesn't tell me % of DPF filled. The figures are similar to yesterday's, but the 'ash content' is about half yesterday's, and the 'milage since last dpf regen' is about 10,000km more than yesterday....

Also, when I go to the Service menu and go to 'DPF', my car doesn't work with any of those 3 options. My car is 212.025 and that isn't an option. I try to select 212.023 (my dad's) and it doesn't work.

Where do you go to force a regen, for example?

Anyone got any advice on where to poke around, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom