I'd sit at the top of the stairs with a shotgun & the front door open:lol::lol:

OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
You can buy them on the Internet - don't even have to leave home - FWIW I found bump keys for the CISA Astral as well....

I know. I did search for a lock that hadn't been beaten but I couldn't find one :(.

I saw the russian bloke beating it on youtube. I dare say these days, whatever you have is probably beatable. The best is still a 5 lever bolt but you can't fit those to a upvc door. Annoying, but as the lock is much rarer and you can't get the key blanks in a regular key cutter (you can make your own bump key for a conventional lock from a normal house key and everyone has some of them lying around), I figure whilst I know its not foolproof its at least further up the food chain.
At the end of the day, beating a burglar isn't about making your house break-in proof - thats impossible - its simply making it that bit harder than next door so they'll move on. After all, thieves are lazy - otherwise they'd get a proper job.
Case in point. I had a 5 foot fence between me and a ginnel. People walking past could see over it easily. Over the last 2 years I've had at least 2 'visitors' that I know about, so, I replaced the fence with a full 6 foot one. No visitors since.

dolphinhouse

Reaction score
Try this one - Evva 3KS - can't find anything on how to beat it.... certainly looks like bumping won't work, as well as snapping. It's amazing how much I now know about locks after only 24 hours!

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Try this one - Evva 3KS - can't find anything on how to beat it.... certainly looks like bumping won't work, as well as snapping. It's amazing how much I now know about locks after only 24 hours!

http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44876

you didnt look hard enough ! Fascinating subject though. I found some "anti-bumping" lock oil on a site as well that is supposed to stop bumping a standard lock.

OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I found some "anti-bumping" lock oil on a site as well that is supposed to stop bumping a standard lock.

I've bought some of this stuff (pickbuster)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EURO-CYLINDER...s_GL?hash=item2556105438&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I did a bit of reading around on professional forums and nobody had a bad word about it. Some even installed it themselves in all the new locks they fitted. There was some concern about long term effects with dirt etc but the general thinking was that the lock would be well worn and in need of replacement anyway by the time that occurs.

I put it in my back door locks. I have 3 so the new lock option for each is a bit heavy and anyway as has been said, whilst the likelihood of someone bumping the better lock is drastically reduced, it isn't elminated. My front door lock was knackered anyway so as I was replacing it, it made sense to get a more secure one.

I have to say this oil stuff works really well.
You squeaze the sachet in and leave for a few hours whilst it seeps into the mechanism. (apply last thing at night). I applied it on the outside and surprisingly it even soaked through into the inside mechanism. Its basically just a thick gloopy oil that drags on the entire mechanism. You can tell by the draggy feel of the lock that the same drag on the pins is going to render bumping impossible. Makes the lock 'feel' much better too.
I'm going to put it into the new front door lock which should make it pretty much the most secure euro lock you can get.
Possibly the best £8 I ever spent!

I mentioned it to a friend at the weekend. He didn't know anything about this so it does seem its not as widely known as some might think. We stood in his street and counted the houses that, with £5 spent on ebay on a bump key, would be wide open. We quickly decided it would be more of a challenge to find a house we wouldn't be able to get into!
He's ordered the oil.

One thing, if you do buy it, thin down the seal on the 'nozzle' end of the sachet. Makes it a lot easier to get the nozzle into the lock properly.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Learnt a lot here JB, thank you.

Saw a 'lock bump kit + lock pickers' saying 'open any lock with these' for sale on an internet site yesterday - not ebay but a tad more upmarket, the guy selling then claimed to have retired from the lock trade, mind you that could have meant he was a retired burglar:shock:

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Whilst I have no doubt it will assist in stopping the lock being "bumped", what about the increased wear on the lock as now all dust etc will be sticking to the insides of the lock. It could even jam up if enough crud forms ?

dolphinhouse

Reaction score
I've now changed all my locks... when I started looking at the different euro locks we had (6 doors in total), the weakest one (only 5 pins), was on the front door.....

For me security is all about making your house less attractive to break into than the house next door.

We have monitored alarm, CCTV, upgraded locks on all doors, no easy access to rear of property.

Next door either side have none of the above - you can easily walk to the back of their properties, no alarm, no CCTV, and a variety of euro locks to go for.

Am I paranoid - maybe, but then my wife was burgled whilst she slept many years ago, and with all the security we have is able to sleep safe at night - even when I'm away - so for me it's worth it.

So thanks - jberks - for bring this to our attention...

I'm seeing my sister tonight who's a serving police officer, so I'll mention lock bumping to her, and see what she knows....

OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Whilst I have no doubt it will assist in stopping the lock being "bumped", what about the increased wear on the lock as now all dust etc will be sticking to the insides of the lock. It could even jam up if enough crud forms ?

Its been mentioned as a concern in several places but apparently some lock manufacturers have tested it and approved it and if crud gets into the lock then its going to stay there anyway. Oil or not, as there's nothing to flush it out. Allgedly some guys have been installing it for a while in places where crud could be an issue (coastal areas etc) and they report no adverse effects.

Ok, this stuff can be beaten too, if you spray some cleaner into the lock to dissolve and wash out the oil but its yet another thing a thief would have to do to get in (and they're not that sophisticated anyway). So, if it did clog up, there should be nothing stopping you doing the same.

On the wear front, in theory, the wear should be reduced or even. On the one hand yes, crud may stick, but on the other, all moving parts are now lubricated!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Do you not end up with oily keys in your pockets?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
PTFE is the best for this,,makes all locks as sweet as anything and not messy either

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wouldn't that reduce friction though?

It just makes them silky smooth to turn and easy to get the key in and out, and it last for years.. Fantastic on car boot locks, as it is light weight

Jay Gee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Honda
It just makes them silky smooth to turn and easy to get the key in and out, and it last for years.. Fantastic on car boot locks, as it is light weight

Err,Malcolm-I thought the point of the anti-bumping oil was not to make your house door locks silky smooth,but to introduce a degree of stiction to make bumping more difficult :confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Err,Malcolm-I thought the point of the anti-bumping oil was not to make your house door locks silky smooth,but to introduce a degree of stiction to make bumping more difficult :confused:

I do not see that this would stop the ation described in this post when they break in..if the key is left on the inside, then leaving it turned 45º must be a good thing to do

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom