not my problem but been asked to help!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
had a phone call last night. friend of a friend. anyhow this guy owns a G plate (201) 190 diesel with the 2 litre version of the diesel engine. heater plug light and abs light are playing up. heater plug light stays on for 2 or 3 minutes after starting and the abs light comes on. the guy informs me he has had it all checked out (i dont know who by though) and he was told it was a fault on the instrument cluster causing this. is this likely or is it more likely a relay etc? also are they a standard cluster or unique to the diesel? is the 2.0 cluster different to a 2.5 cluster? also can anyone point me in the direction of a few names and numbers for this guy to contact, as he seems to want to buy a 2nd hand unit rather than a new 1!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just a few things Pete.

You cannot swap a petrol cluster with a diesel,,the 201 cars are plug and play for a like for like cluster.

The ABS is nearly always the OVP relay

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
would this affect the heater plug light too? any idea where its located and how to test it? regarding the clusters, i was thinking that (around here at least) the 2.0 diesel was rare but theres lots of 2.5 diesel ones around. are they interchangeable or would he need to find another 2.0 diesel?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Re reading he was told about the cluster,,,well who ever told him is wrong and not the cluster.

The glow plug lamp staying on indicates a faulty glow plug (I think)

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thats what i thought, but i spoke to the guy on the phone last night and he is adamant that the heaterplugs have been checked! whoever checked it has (i am told) checked the relays (presumably directly linked to the abs and heater plugs) the heater plugs etc. my 1st thought was a plug off and a fault with an abs sensor or rotor. he says hes had it all checked out and they say its a cluster fault. if the ovp relay can affect both (dont know if it can) id go with that theory as it wouldnt seem to be connected at all to either system! only thing is ive no idea where to find it, how to test it or anything! ive never really dealt with the 190, as there wasnt many mercs in the area i grew up in and the few there was were petrol. mercs werent really seen that much till the 202 came out!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Things like glow plugs do not go anywhere near the OVP relay, and have nothing to do with it, the ABS has nothing to do with the cluster either,,ABS = OVP relay or wheel sensor

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
that confirms what i thought originally. i didnt know about the ovp relay (would that put the abs light on anyway?) but i didnt think they could be connected. im not sure if they started playing up at the same time or not. i think i need to try to find out more about it, but id be inclined to start by re checking the glow plugs, wiring and relay and checking/replacing the ovp relay if it were my car!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With Glow plug problems he may have flattened the battery and jumped the car, that could blow the fuse on the OVP relay

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport (12) Blueefficiency
Pete, to be absolutely sure about the glow plugs, a quick test with a multimeter will reveal all in about 2 minutes...

Set the meter on low ohms (eg 200R range) pull the cap off the plug electrode and measure the resistance between the electrode and a good earth. Each plug should read about 1 ohm, typically 0.5 ohms to 1.5 ohms. anything outside that range is a dud. ie. less than 0.5 ohms = short circuit, open circuit will simply give no reading at all.

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
no idea about that one Malcolm. as far as im aware its never had a problem starting, but as i say, its a friend of a friend so i may not have got the entire tale over the phone last night

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom