Not sure about this car and seller, anyone know this car?

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Automatic transmission aside the thing that most put me off an R230 SL500 are all the horror stories regarding the ABC system. So when I saw one advertised as having had the ABC overhauled last year at what seems a low price, even taking into account the mileage for an SL, I took a look.
It's not so much what's in the ad as what's not, things like how many previous keepers, mileage and no indication that the seller will be putting an MOT on it even though it runs out in less than 3 weeks. A quick MOT check shows a 3 year gap between 2014 & 2017, possibly kept as a second car abroad?, last MOT noted a non specific oil leak at the front.
I texted the seller this morning asking about all the above but didn't get a reply so I texted him again this evening, still no reply. I can't find a website for this dealer/trader only ebay listings which have a mobile number.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Mer...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Passenger door alignment?
Looks like a nice car though.
With so much spent on it I'd be wanting to see receipts especially for the 4 grand ABC work, and again if so much has been spent why wouldn't they put it through an MOT before selling?
With no reply from the seller to your texts I can hear alarm bells ringing from here.

Click on "Feedback as a seller" this is his highest priced item and if you only look at his high priced sales he doesn't look so good as his feedback suggests. Anyone can get good feedback as a buyer.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
You bored of the Audi already?

Not bored of the Audi it's fine I did the run up to my fathers in Norfolk today via my favourite route of B roads which is where it excels over the SL, which I appreciate is a GT not a sports car, and it's a blast.
That said I passed an R230 on the way home, I didn't see if it was a 350 or 500, and to my eye they are still such a lovely looking car. I just couldn't take on something that I would be sinking another £6-7k into as I ended up doing with the R129, which was how I ended up with the Audi.
Cars are always a compromise unless you're in the fortunate position you are where you can afford several and have the space to keep them. So I could be tempted away from the inner hooligan that enjoys the S4 for the right car, ie one where the ABC has recently been overhauled and rust free rear arches.
Perhaps the previous owner of this car was like I was with my R129, they wanted everything to be right, but to me there are a lot of questions that I'd wanted answered about this car first. I know exactly what you'll say, it's a six grand car and you don't buy an R230 500 on a budget and the six grand car is likely to turn into a ten grand car! It won't stop me keeping my eyes on what's about just in case that elusive bargain appears. :)

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Passenger door alignment?
Looks like a nice car though.
With so much spent on it I'd be wanting to see receipts especially for the 4 grand ABC work, and again if so much has been spent why wouldn't they put it through an MOT before selling?
With no reply from the seller to your texts I can hear alarm bells ringing from here.

Click on "Feedback as a seller" this is his highest priced item and if you only look at his high priced sales he doesn't look so good as his feedback suggests. Anyone can get good feedback as a buyer.

I couldn't see anything as a seller more recent than over a year ago? Also did you notice all the cars he has listed are all photographed in different locations which I find a little strange for a trader as they usually have premises or at least a go to location?

SRE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005
Could be a scam.... When I was looking for my 500, I spotted an add for a car that was on auto-trader for £2K more. The ebay add had used the same pictures and description but the location of the seller was different and the price was obviously designed to get a lot of interest. I knew it was fake as I had been to see the car two days before. I assume the scammer was hoping to take a deposit from someone who could not resist a bargain.

I reported the add to ebay and notified the real seller and the add was taken down within 24 hours.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom