NOx sensor failure on 2015 E220 Auto BlueTech

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tesla model 3 performance /honda cd175/w123 300d gertrude.
The sensors were q5 which replaced my q3 sensors, indie says only software for the sensors was applied and no emmission update.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tesla model 3 performance /honda cd175/w123 300d gertrude.
Thats correct, if you fit the same sensors the fault will reoccur, there would also be no need to update as the same sensor has the same rateing, its the q number that makes the difference, current updated sensors should be q5 and would need the update.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
The sensors were q5 which replaced my q3 sensors, indie says only software for the sensors was applied and no emmission update.

ah, I miss read earlier…. so you did have the NOX sensor software update to turn off the fake warning light - NICE

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Hopefully soon u will get a dongle on fleabay that deals with all this benz fraud.

Joe Lehane

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 E220d Premium bluetec
Just had my 2015 E220 Bluetec serviced today. Diesel Software update recall required replacement of both Nox sensors. Free. I had just failed MOT due to faulty upstream Nox. So quite a £900 result.
I have a FMBSH which costs £42 per month and resulting mobilo cover gives Europe wide breakdown with E Class replacement hire car. So FMBSH not so expensive.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Well wriggled,that man.....

Jonathan Edwards

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2015 diesel
UPDATE: So after the software 'upgrade' the EM light went off and apparently no error codes on their system. Happy days well for two days and the engine mgt light back on. Personally I think they just recalibrated and hoped for the best. Any hoo, I challenged them and car booked in for the nth time to have the NOx sensors replaced. Now I had a Resolver.com claim in with MBUK which had two weeks to go before it would be escalated to MBUK's MD. I had an email back from MBUK HQ saying 'they were not a compensation organisation and I should go through the retailer'. Fair enough, back to the MB retailer in Hemel.

So booked in, then told they would need to keep the car overnight as one of the NOx sensors was delivered faulty when they tested it and they had ordered a new one! So driving in their courtesy car and then have to go back for 5pm to collect mine. I told them I didn't expect to get a bill for £1500 and I didn't. Good will claim to HQ and agreed.

All in all very stressful but very glad to get back into my E220 estate. Car working fine without the reported problems after the upgrade. I have a 7-speed. Have they changed the upgrade?

Hope my blether helps - I do recommend resolver.com for putting pressure on large organisations and streamlining the complaints process for free.

Also 20% off service plans which brings them down to the independents' pricing near me - finishes end September.

Cheers Ian

Hi Ian - just starting with MB customer services re Nox sensor issue with my E220 2015 diesel. Sounds like very similar situation to yours. How is the resolver complaint going?

GDS63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
gkc170mhs
I have recently had my auxiliary battery replaced so my stop/start works now. When paying my bill, I was presented with output from XENTRY that both NOx sensors needed replacing. Apparently, there is a shortage of them and they could install one new and one refurb for £1000. On another forum I read a lot of posts about NOx sensor failures. Some of which had been replaced FOC by MB. Is this a known problem?

Anybody else had this problem? It is ok apparently to drive the car but the correct amount of AdBlue won't be delivered to the engine. I have not had a recall letter to do the software upgrade yet for removing the cheat software. Anybody experienced this or got some goodwill from MB?

Any help much appreciated as I don't know how to proceed.
Mine is showing faults, afer a free software update by MB. £1000 looks steep doesn't it?

John401

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class/2011/220cdi
I have recently had my auxiliary battery replaced so my stop/start works now. When paying my bill, I was presented with output from XENTRY that both NOx sensors needed replacing. Apparently, there is a shortage of them and they could install one new and one refurb for £1000. On another forum I read a lot of posts about NOx sensor failures. Some of which had been replaced FOC by MB. Is this a known problem?

Anybody else had this problem? It is ok apparently to drive the car but the correct amount of AdBlue won't be delivered to the engine. I have not had a recall letter to do the software upgrade yet for removing the cheat software. Anybody experienced this or got some goodwill from MB?

Any help much appreciated as I don't know how to proceed.
Ian
The engine management light recently appeared on my W213 E220 d 2017 model after 48000 miles , I have an OBD11 code reader (purchased a while go for £49.99) this returned a P2200 code, diagnosing a fault with the Nox sensor bank 1.

I then removed the downstream sensor, under the car and replaced it with a new 8 wire probe at £75 from Amazon , YouTube has an excellent description of the fairly straight forward method wire splicing procedure and also the sensor removal in a separate video.

The next part was easy as it didn't require any under car work, remove the plastic engine cover under the bonnet and the upstream Nox sensor is visible on the front left of the engine. I removed the sensor which was quite sooty and cleaned it with carb cleaner spray and air, this appeared to work.

After clearing the code with the code reader the management light has not reappeared.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and maybe the upstream sensor was the problem but my code reader did not distinguish between the upstream and downstream sensors , hence I went ahead and replaced the downstream probe after reading some information that this was the problem and perhaps a clean would have sufficed however at least I avoided the inflated dealer prices.

Hope this helps with what I have discovered is a fairly common Mercedes problem.

Gerryb

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC220d 2017
I have a 2017 GLC 220d with EM light coming on when driven in the rain. OBD code P2200. When I unplug the connector on the wiring harness to the NOx box water runs out. Spraying with electrical contact cleaner allows fault to be cleared until next time driven in the rain. Is there a fix for this. Should connector not be Ip66 ?

John401

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class/2011/220cdi
I have a 2017 GLC 220d with EM light coming on when driven in the rain. OBD code P2200. When I unplug the connector on the wiring harness to the NOx box water runs out. Spraying with electrical contact cleaner allows fault to be cleared until next time driven in the rain. Is there a fix for this. Should connector not be Ip66 ?
Gerry

When I removed the Nox connector I didn't see any indication of water ingress, with the position of the box on my car it should not be subjected to water spray, however next time you do the job maybe put some silicone or suitable sealant around the connector fitting surfaces.

IP 65 would probably be sufficient but the connector manufacturer should be required to provide this information with tests to Mercedes specifications before it is approved for use. Meanwhile sealant !

sam.megane

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 E220 AMG Night Edition
So I checked to see if my car needed the update as i had warning lights on dash for NOX sensors and so many miles left due to Ad-blu issue.

It went in the other day and was told once they do the update and the car still says fault on NOX sensors they would replace FOC, Great i thought.

Anywhere software update completed and all faults cleared and not come back on. They did say in some cases the update fixes the issues. Got them to put in writing though if the lights come back on due to NOX sensor they would replace FOC. So either way i have it covered. Car does seem a bit more responsive now.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
They did say in some cases the update fixes the issues. Got them to put in writing though if the lights come back on due to NOX sensor they would replace FOC. So either way i have it covered. Car does seem a bit more responsive now.

that's untrue... if the sensors are playing up, they are playing up - the software can't fix a hardware failure

lets hope they fitted free mk3 ones - there are plenty other drivers of the EML, the NOx sensor is just one of a whole host of fun you get on modern cars

one of the updates turns off the subversive engineer's coding - where he made the external temp sensor go mad 4 years into the car's life - probably to give the game away about Merc's dieselgate emission fiddle... I suspect after his retirement ;)

Nigelatwbts

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220SE/2016/2143Deisel6
Hi Ian - just starting with MB customer services re Nox sensor issue with my E220 2015 diesel. Sounds like very similar situation to yours. How is the resolver complaint going?
Hi John, my E220 went in for service and software upgrade, drove if down the road and the Adblue warning came up so went back and they diagnosed NOX sensor fault. is this similar to your problem, I was quoted £460 to repair,
I took it elsewhere apparently there is a 4 month wait for the sensors. How is your battle going!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I was talking with a Russian colleague, he is adamant Russian built VW and Toyota's are far longer lasting - I said its likely you supply all the sensors from local Russian factories that don't make them to the UK specification (+ some other markets), where they are deliberately produced with certain "enhanced features" (aka Design to Fail). He wasn't aligned on this bit - he felt everything about them was just done correctly in their factories

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
see also similar post

Top Bottom