Nox sensor

Hougenie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220d estate, 2015
Hi all,

New here so apologies if this is the wrong place. I couldn't find anything in the search either.....doesn't mean it's not there.

Bought a 2015 c220d. Drove it away last Friday. Back to mercedes on Monday with a faulty nox sensor.

Mercedes are telling me these are on back order and could be weeks but the car is safe to drive in the meantime despite the engine management light being on.

My concern is that there is a warning that states the engine will not start in 350 miles or so. I will likely cover that in 7-10 days......will the car actually not start when it gets to zero? If so I'm going to need a courtesy car from them sooner rather than later!

Thanks all

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hougenie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220d estate, 2015
Forgot to say the MB sales manager wasn't sure and was going to ask the service manager.
Thought I'd ask here :)

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Yes it will NOT start when the count down reaches zero. Lots of parts on back order Germany.

OP
H

Hougenie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220d estate, 2015
Oh dear that's a bit of a pain. Hopefully won't take too long for the sensors to come in

Benz17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350d Amg Premium Saloon, Cavansite Blue, 2017
Yes it will NOT start when the count down reaches zero. Lots of parts on back order Germany.
Would appreciate your expert advice on this, I have 2017 E350d, should I be overly concerned about this, (nox,adblue) or is this just pot luck, some cars have this issue and others don’t. Yes my car has been in for the recall, 14 months ago, touchwood have not had any issues, 22k on the clock.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Forgot to say the MB sales manager wasn't sure and was going to ask the service manager.
Thought I'd ask here :)

Take it back and swop it for a petrol version would be my best advice. Reject it as faulty.

Would appreciate your expert advice on this, I have 2017 E350d, should I be overly concerned about this, (nox,adblue) or is this just pot luck, some cars have this issue and others don’t. Yes my car has been in for the recall, 14 months ago, touchwood have not had any issues, 22k on the clock.
Have a search of the forum for AdBlue, Nox, DPF and Software Updates. There are many many threads with tales of expensive woe. :(

Benz17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350d Amg Premium Saloon, Cavansite Blue, 2017
Take it back and swop it for a petrol version would be my best advice. Reject it as faulty.

Have a search of the forum for AdBlue, Nox, DPF and Software Updates. There are many many threads with tales of expensive woe. :(
Yep have read up on this, so just wanted to know if it is inevitable that I will also face this issue, anytime in my ownership. Sometimes when one reads up on the negatives, one can worry too much on something that may or may not happen, and therefore not enjoy the car and ownership experience.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The trouble is that there is a lot of parts that can fail at anytime, there is no rhyme or reason for them to fail.

OP
H

Hougenie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220d estate, 2015
Sounds like a pain in the backside.
Would it be naive to think that if these are known problems then mercedes would upgrade parts etc so the replacements should be more reliable?

Also given this is a used approved car I have 12 months warranty so this year is no problem but are Nox sensors covered for longer given the above?

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The list of parts we have changed on the nox system is endless, both sensors, pump, heater, nox tank delivery lines that split and ecu’s. :(

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Perhaps Blobcat is right. Get out while I can?

Hes such a tease. Now where can I find a nice e400

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don’t panic, all cars have issues and yours is a very low mileage one so shouldn’t see any. nox sensors fail on petrol cars too.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Don’t panic, all cars have issues and yours is a very low mileage one so shouldn’t see any. nox sensors fail on petrol cars too.
I read its a chemical build up on the nox sensor tips. Magnesium or something that makes them fail ?

OP
H

Hougenie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220d estate, 2015
Thanks all. Thought I'd give an update. Got a Nox sensor replacement fitted Tuesday 13/7/21....engine light back on by the Friday! No adblue warning this time.

Being a little mucked around by mercedes in terms of lack of communication/updates etc. They did say I could swap the car or wait to have it repaired (they are almost certain another Nox sensor but it hasn't been plugged in)

I guess my question is where do I stand in terms of full refund and taking my money elsewhere...BMW/Audi etc.

Got some long trips planned this month e.g. Kent to the Isle of Skye and can not be done with the hassle factor of the car breaking down/the worry re this happening given the engine light being on.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Not very often we get the chance to change our minds after a purchase. I’d take the offer of a refund and buy a petrol model I certainly won’t be buying a EU6 diesel when I trade the E350cdi estate they can bite you at any time.
My son runs a W213 E220d which has been faultless nevertheless he pays annually for a MB extended warranty, even this won’t cover you for time off the road and the inconvenience of a breakdown in the middle of nowhere

OP
H

Hougenie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220d estate, 2015
Thanks Malcolm. At the moment MB haven't offered a refund but they have offered to swap the car....I'm thinking I'd prefer a refund given the poor customer service and of course faulty car. Wondered if anyone had experience of this?

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom