Number Plate Spacing

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Spacing legal, must be the way it's curved on the bumper :D

Certainly looks illegal spacing doesn't it. you obviously don't have a problem with MOT's then :rolleyes::)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Certainly looks illegal spacing doesn't it. you obviously don't have a problem with MOT's then :rolleyes::)
I don't because they're legal :p

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Yes, mine too makes it look older than it technically is ... V12***. though....

Just wish I had a real V12 to put it on!

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Had my personal plate for 23 years, been on 3 of my cars. Originally a BMW, then a W221 and now the W166.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Considering buying a private number plate for the first time. I’ve seen a D4 NXO which the current owner has always had printed as D4N XO. What are the chances of getting pulled over? And what actually happens if you do? I’ve seen so many people with plates that have been moved like that.

I was stopped for A15X MF instead of A15 XMF

Had it on various cars for 10+ Years, only stopped in the last 3 or so.

Was polite etc, but the guy was scouting for things to fine me for. He didn't like the speed with which I joined the dual carriageway from a parking layby (did not exceed the speed limit though). He did try to fine me for no seatbelt as well, until he re-watched his dash footage.

0/10 would not recommend

OP
M

merckdan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class Coupe 2016 C220d PremiumPlus
I was stopped for A15X MF instead of A15 XMF

Had it on various cars for 10+ Years, only stopped in the last 3 or so.

Was polite etc, but the guy was scouting for things to fine me for. He didn't like the speed with which I joined the dual carriageway from a parking layby (did not exceed the speed limit though). He did try to fine me for no seatbelt as well, until he re-watched his dash footage.

0/10 would not recommend

after you were stopped did you actually go away and change your plate to what it should be or just carry on as well?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
after you were stopped did you actually go away and change your plate to what it should be or just carry on as well?

I changed it of course. If they report you twice you get it taken away.

Never mind about the ones that have screws and italic fonts etc!

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Probably cheapest option.
Just found another little Brexit gift.
We can no longer take good from the UK with us which makes life a bit more awkward as we are in the habit of taking our first two days food with us due to arriving late at the house. Now we'll have to get off the ferry/train and go straight to a supermarket in order to have milk/bread/cheese/cereal/evening meal for when we get there and next morning.

I think you're taking this far too seriously. Are they really going to give you hassle over a bag of shopping for personal use? I'm also not sure what the UK government guidance is on about regarding the Euro plates. It's up to the French/Spanish/wherever you are to determine if they are bothered about your GB plate with Euro flag and the need for a seperate sticker or not. I can't speak for the French but the Spanish cops would not care one bit. They don't even care/know about my UK license I've had for the last 9 years here despite being permanent resident.

I'll be back in the UK this summer (restrictions permitting) with the nice trip through France and ferry (can't wait actually) and whilst I won't be "importing"/"exporting" anything obvious like a new boxed TV or 10000 cigarettes, etc I'll be packing whatever I want for personal use/gifts both in and out of the UK

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I think you're taking this far too seriously. Are they really going to give you hassle over a bag of shopping for personal use? I'm also not sure what the UK government guidance is on about regarding the Euro plates. It's up to the French/Spanish/wherever you are to determine if they are bothered about your GB plate with Euro flag and the need for a seperate sticker or not. I can't speak for the French but the Spanish cops would not care one bit. They don't even care/know about my UK license I've had for the last 9 years here despite being permanent resident.

I'll be back in the UK this summer (restrictions permitting) with the nice trip through France and ferry (can't wait actually) and whilst I won't be "importing"/"exporting" anything obvious like a new boxed TV or 10000 cigarettes, etc I'll be packing whatever I want for personal use/gifts both in and out of the UK
Well they confiscated truck drivers ham and cheese sandwiches they had in their cab...

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Well they confiscated truck drivers ham and cheese sandwiches they had in their cab...

They can confiscate my water, bread and crisps and bottles of wine if that's what makes their day, but my bet is they will be courteous and apply common sense. The multiple times I've been through Dover/Calais (attracting max attention in my battered heap on (half hanging off) Spanish plates/being the only person in a car with a boot full of luggage) and they only seemed interested if I was carrying illegal immigrants or if I had a bomb strapped underneath the car (with mirrors/explosive residue tests). Once these were confirmed negative they had 0 interest in what I was carrying, the roadworthiness of the car or anything else. The armed customs officers will most likely (correctly) believe they are too important and well trained to bother with any such trivial details...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wonder how much of that was fro the press? Things will no doubt settle down once things improve virus wise
Yes quite possible it was for press and it will undoubtedly eventually settle down (or amendments made to make such things possible between UK and Europe).
For me personally it's an issue at present and it puts an obstacle or unacceptable risk in the way of travelling.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
You can bet that some coppers will pull you over and fine you on the spot for not having the GB sticker when travelling abroad.
We get stopped almost every time we travel to Slovakia for routine checks where they are really just looking for anything to fine you one, I was pulled over once just as we crossed the boarder on a duel carriageway, go to pull into the first petrol station (about 5miles over the boarder) and buy a motorway pass (couldn’t get them outside of the country prior back then), as I’m pulling in no surprise was blue flashing lights and actively pushing me on to the side of the forecourt. 300 ish euro fine because we were travelling on a motorway without the required tags, they then went through every bit of paper work for the car, my license, inspected the car in great detail and couldn’t find anything else to fine me on. I think I also got away lightly as my wife was a native speaker so able to argue the point that it couldn’t be bought prior to this point.
Anyway, tag bought, fine paid on the spot in cash (yes has to be paid that moment there), and we were on our way. After about 30 minutes we passed another police van on the motorway, and they again waived me to the hard shoulder and started checking everything again, no fine this time but we were told it was again a routine stop! And one even said it’s because it’s a foreign car they targeted us.

Also got pulled over in Germany once for a routine check, only reason was they said we were travelling in convoy?? As it happened we had just been overtaken by Polish family in a UK car.

so you say the cops don’t care and won’t check, my experiences tell me otherwise

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom