OBD2 bluetooth and android app Help please

G

Gillsfan

I've just bought a blue tooth reader and downloaded the torque app to read the codes on my 2000 vito. It connects ok but says there are no codes to read which can't be ture because i have a EDC light and the van is in limp mode. What am i doing wrong? I have the free version of torque I'm relectant to buy the full version untill I know it works. I have read that the Torque app works on a 2001 vito. I've tryed about 4 free apps so far so won't connect none will read any codes

OP
N

npuk

Does your van even have a ODBII port?

OP
G

Gillsfan

Yes and I've had a snap on code reader on it. the blue tooth unit plugs in fine and the app connects ok it just doesn't find any codes.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
cannot really comment as thats something you should discuss with torque and the supplier of the BT device. All I can say is that I do have a BT elm 327 with Torque and it does show and clear engine codes

OP
N

npuk

As above have no issues with mine. Could either be your van or faulty bluetooth device. If it can read other engine parameters then it should be able to read any codes or maybe your vans not supported.

Would have thought 2000 was too early for OBDII and it would have had the round diagnostic port.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

Gillsfan

I think the obd2 replaced the old round type in 1999 when the engine changed the the cdi. and Like I say I have sen a comment on one forum which state the it worked on a 2001 vito, I was hoping that someone else with a vito or similar age merc with a cdi engine can offer any advice.

OP
N

npuk

You didnt say if you can see any other data like engine rpm etc on the other screens. If you cant then your van may not be compatible or it is not connecting properly. It says for diesels support from 2004 onwards as a general rule. http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

Gillsfan

Yep it display all other info

I've noticed that when click the clear codes option the EDC light goes out for about a second. which to me suggests that the app is clearing a fault/faults with the edc is detecting a second latter. So I just need to know what the fault is so I can fix it.

markandhisw203

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270cdi W203
Hi Bud,

I have a similar scenario and a similar ask?, I have a C270 CDI 2001, and an ELM327 wifi that I can hook up to my iphone, Ive tried variouse software including torque and can get it to see RPM etc, so I know the comunication path is working. BUT like you no fault codes!. I'm guessing but dont know in light of this that the car is to early?? I assumed if it had an ODB II port that it was completely compliant, If anyone knows for sure (no guesses please) I'd be really greatful.

I have a limp home mode scenario, starts on the button with full power avaialable, but at some point it feels like the turbo isnt there anymore, It still does 80mph all day long and nearly 50mpg with no smoke etc, I have read with interest about cleaning the EGR valve and the MAF sensor, and just now about the servo motors in the inlet manifold, I will definately persue these things, but theres no substitute for valid fault codes,

Appreciate any advice from anyone with experience,

Thanks alot Mark....

OP
G

Gillsfan

Mark

Did you use the free app or the full paid version? I'm wondering if it's a problem with the trial version.

OP
N

npuk

Lite version reads codes, I use the Lite version.

OP
G

Gillsfan

Ok I tried the full version of torque and still no joy. I also tried another paid app and the same thing will read everything apart from the fault codes. I've given up and asked a mate to come round with his snap on code reader which I know works.

markandhisw203

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270cdi W203
Torque info

Hi Bud,

Sorry on lates, hence in bed in the morning, yes your right it is the free version, will try my laptop with the supplied software, but when I tried this weeks ago I found it to semi crash my newish Win7 laptop, so reading up it looked like there were other options available free which I have tried, I guess the easiest way to determine if this is the case is to plug the elm device into a different make of car and see if it reads codes there??.

Be interested to hear back from you and what you find out,

Regards Mark...

markandhisw203

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270cdi W203
npuks comment's

Thanks for your reply NPUK

In my hast I didnt see your post, so think were back to the vehicle being to early to read the codes??, I noted the comment about looking at the engine plate to see if it has OBDII on it I will check that today and get back to you...

M...

markandhisw203

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270cdi W203
Code Reading

Hi Gillsfan

Its me let me know if the snap on can read stuff Please, I'am guessing if the elm cant read it the data isnt being supplied and maybe only star will??

Id be greatful if you update the post and let me know what he finds,

Cheers Mark...

OP
G

Gillsfan

Mark

The snap on kit does read the codes my mate tried it a couple of weeks ago when I was having trouble starting after a head gasket change. He didn't turn up last night, he is both busy and forgetful which is why im trying to find a code reader that works without spending £1000 on a snap on one. I'd be interested to know if the supplied software works, I'm waiting for a bluetooth dongle to arrive so I can try mine.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
a W203 will be obd2 compliant. I have a 2001 203, and the socket is neat the bonnet release pull

OP
G

Gillsfan

Ok just to let any others who would find the info useful my 2000 vito is not obd2 compliant. My mates snap on code reader will read and reset the codes. But when he manually switched it to obd2 it wouldn't. So to read the codes you need access to a snap on reader.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom