OBDii problems

Phil200tdi

Reaction score
I have recently purchased an ST3 remapping unit from GCLtuning which connects to the OBDii port.

The unit connected to the vehicle and read the original map from the ECU fine, but when I tried to upload the upgraded maps returned from GCL the unit suddenly lost power. GCL originally thought this could be a resistor in the cable and sent a new cable, but this has not rectified the problem. Now they are adamant that it is the K-line to the OBD port, is this likely to just be a fuse (and if so which one) or something more serious? Or is the problem more likely to be with the unit itself?

Anyone come across this problem before?
Cheers
Phil

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum,,what is the car please,, though not an easy question to answer

OP
P

Phil200tdi

Reaction score
Definately no power to the OBD port, just had it checked by a local garage - Bugger!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
why the remap? were you looking for EVEN more power, or a placebo effect mpg gain? check all the fuses.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Its that 15% again :D:D or both

OP
P

Phil200tdi

Reaction score
why the remap? were you looking for EVEN more power, or a placebo effect mpg gain? check all the fuses.

Yep looking for more power/torque and a mpg gain.. I do 35 - 40,000 miles per year the best I have yet achieved on a full tank is 630 miles equating to 47mpg but tend to get 45mpg on average.. If I can get an extra 5 - 8 mpg I'll be happy (break even being around 4mpg within 1year) and I'll have 260bhp ish and 440lb/ft ish. The ST3 is switchable I went for the performance and an economy map.

most people I have spoken to have made significant gains in MPG, although I don't know anyone with a c320cdi.. the science being more torque delivers the same speed at lower revs therefore less fuel.

Once this problem is resolved, I'll let you know if i get any improved fuel economy..

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
phil, we look forward to your tank-to-tank tests, this is a topic close to all our hearts!

it will also be interesting to know how your mpg display changes, it seems that remaps and other power boosters can warp the accuracy of these displays. if you could also get a gague of roughly how much better the mpg seems according to the dash that would be fantastic.

OP
P

Phil200tdi

Reaction score
Fuse box location?

Ok after an hour of looking for the fuse box in the engine bay, I have given up, it isnt where the manual claims it is - did they relocate it in the C320 CDi?

the manual says that it is located under the cover with rotary catches on the left when viewed in the direction of travel, this cover is on the drivers side on a rhd vehicle. however, there is no square box with clamps under that cover on this side of the car, just what looks like the clutch master cylinder etc. there is another large box with what look like hex screws but dont think this is it..

according to the fuse allocation chart the box is located on the drivers side and is vertically mouted near to the clutch master cylinder, how ever nothing looks like a fuse box there.

There is a square box on the passenger side of the engine bay with a red cross on the top but I can't find a way to open this..

Anyone know where this may be located?? I'm getting really frustrated!

Cheers
Phil

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Its under a rain cover with two twist clips just under the screen on the o/s,

You have already seen it!!!

OP
P

Phil200tdi

Reaction score
Its under a rain cover with two twist clips just under the screen on the o/s,

You have already seen it!!!

here is a photo of whats under that cover in my car. i expected it to be on the fiirewall in front of the brake master cylinder, but its not there!!

the second photo shows the passenger side, at the back is the filter for the A/C and its that box with a red cover that I though could contain fuses, but I cant get into it..

Am I blind??

Attachments

• Fuse box.jpg
    Fuse box.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 24
  • fuse 2.jpg
    fuse 2.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 18

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it is the one with the screws in the first picture. usually has two clips on but evidently on the c 320 cdi it has a screwed down lid.

OP
P

Phil200tdi

Reaction score
Ok, the fuse was the problem and has now been replaced...

I'll hopefully get time to sort out the remap this weekend and then I'll give feedback in a week or so once its bedded in and I've clocked up some miles..

cheers for you help and patience.
P

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
hi the K LINE is pin number 7 on OBDii.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom