Obsessive parking, or what?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
All depends on the car I'm using at the time.
Why should I leave my car far away from others in the most inconvenient spot possible, then have a long walk, maybe in the wind and rain, to get back to the shops?
My 'shopping car' just gets parked in the most convenient spot for shopping.
A few dings? So what? It's transport, not a precious artwork.
The walk is good for your heart :)

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Why should I leave my car far away from others in the most inconvenient spot possible, then have a long walk, maybe in the wind and rain, to get back to the shops?
It is transport yes, but it's more than that, to me anyway. :).

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes

Some could argue, it's just artwork, not precious transport ;)

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Corner or end of line space for me - halves the risk...

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
How do you get out of the car park?

(Just thinking there’s hundreds of cars you’ve left parked nose in around the place...):rolleyes:

I don't have so much of an issue reversing out of a space, I know that's weird. I usually have Keith with me too and he tends to give me a lot of often unwanted help o_O

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I don't have so much of an issue reversing out of a space, I know that's weird. I usually have Keith with me too and he tends to give me a lot of often unwanted help o_O

Unwanted help is widely available. Useful assistance is sometimes less forthcoming. C'est la vie.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Unwanted help is widely available. Useful assistance is sometimes less forthcoming. C'est la vie.

Honestly he's like a flipping old woman at times. Everywhere we go, if I am driving he is also mentally driving and just assumes that my way of driving is the same as his, which it obviously isn't. Therefore I am obviously the lesser driver as I just drive in my own sweet way :D

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I find that using the reversing camera and now the 360° camera on the GLC makes me worse. I’m far better just using my eyes and years of experience!

I do not trust those cameras, I am sure they are lying to me when I look at them. When I look in my mirrors I see something totally different to what those cameras are showing. Keith is always saying to me 'look at the ****** camera, there is nothing behind you', well I'm not so sure :p

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I do not trust those cameras, I am sure they are lying to me when I look at them. When I look in my mirrors I see something totally different to what those cameras are showing. Keith is always saying to me 'look at the ****** camera, there is nothing behind you', well I'm not so sure :p

I was amazed at how real the images on my 360 degree cameras were, one day after it had snowed, it even showed my foot prints leading up to the car door. That was when I discovered that as well as a front and rear camera, there are two more in the side mirrors.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Iv touched many a bumber with the tow bar on my works van! It even has zoom mode which is useful to get a good look at the damage and take a quick selfie:D

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I find that using the reversing camera and now the 360° camera on the GLC makes me worse. I’m far better just using my eyes and years of experience!

I've done that a few times, thought I was dead square in the space according to the rear camera (don't have the fancy cameras on the door mirrors) but when I've looked when I got out, it looks like I was 3 sheets to the wind when I've parked it at 45 degrees :D

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

Reversing cameras in carparks are a nightmare - they just reverse out without even thinking to check if there is a car passing.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Honestly he's like a flipping old woman at times. Everywhere we go, if I am driving he is also mentally driving and just assumes that my way of driving is the same as his, which it obviously isn't. Therefore I am obviously the lesser driver as I just drive in my own sweet way :D

Some years ago I found a cure for that.
My father-in-law was an awful passenger, and kept making remarks about my driving standards.
So i began deliberately delaying my normal stopping distances, then braking hard at the last second - knowing that he was frantically pushing a brake pedal that existed only in his mind, trying in vain to slow the car down! It got so obvious that he once forced the seat back, he was pushing on the floor so hard. He was too self-conscious to say anything after that, but he eventually stopped his remarks and let me drive my own way.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I was amazed at how real the images on my 360 degree cameras were, one day after it had snowed, it even showed my foot prints leading up to the car door. That was when I discovered that as well as a front and rear camera, there are two more in the side mirrors.
The clue is in the name... 360’ camera...:rolleyes::D:p

I used to use mine in the car wash to make sure they’d cleaned all the wheels :p

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Expensive fuel :(

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Some years ago I found a cure for that.
My father-in-law was an awful passenger, and kept making remarks about my driving standards.
So i began deliberately delaying my normal stopping distances, then braking hard at the last second - knowing that he was frantically pushing a brake pedal that existed only in his mind, trying in vain to slow the car down! It got so obvious that he once forced the seat back, he was pushing on the floor so hard. He was too self-conscious to say anything after that, but he eventually stopped his remarks and let me drive my own way.

Good idea ;)

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Must have saved yourself some money, they look closed. ! Every little helps :D
Nope they were open, must admit though not many in car park or store, you know what 99% of people are like, must get as close to the door as humanly possible. :)

Top Bottom