• Land Rover Discovery
  • Range Rover Vogue
  • BMW X5
  • Range Rover Evoque
  • Mercedes-Benz E-Class
  • Land Rover Defender, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW X 6, Mercedes-Benz GL
  • Audi A4 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class
  • Mercedes-Benz GLC, BMW M3, Audi Q7
I had mentioned it as went through a phase of watching traffic cops. They mentioned Audis and it seemed that what they were always chasing.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I had mentioned it as went through a phase of watching traffic cops. They mentioned Audis and it seemed that what they were always chasing.
S3… Drug dealers car of choice…:oops:

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
When folks can't understand weird happenings with quotes I often say an insurance company is like a bookmakers. Not in an insulting way but just that they literally balance the books... liability vs income. And I've just had the strangest example of that.

My own comp policy is with a major company and the Viano is £230 a year for self and Mrs D.

Sadly daughter has a medical condition that stopped her driving her car 3yrs ago and we've stored it for her over that time. Now with no prospect of driving for another year she wishes to get it MOT'd, a bit of use to prove it's all good and then sell. So I've added her Honda Jazz to my policy as an additional vehicle for one month.

The extra cost... well actually a £30-05 refund on my policy. That's a first to get on the winning side for once.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
When folks can't understand weird happenings with quotes I often say an insurance company is like a bookmakers. Not in an insulting way but just that they literally balance the books... liability vs income. And I've just had the strangest example of that.

My own comp policy is with a major company and the Viano is £230 a year for self and Mrs D.

Sadly daughter has a medical condition that stopped her driving her car 3yrs ago and we've stored it for her over that time. Now with no prospect of driving for another year she wishes to get it MOT'd, a bit of use to prove it's all good and then sell. So I've added her Honda Jazz to my policy as an additional vehicle for one month.

The extra cost... well actually a £30-05 refund on my policy. That's a first to get on the winning side for once.
That is literally what they are !! :)

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
In preparation for my renewal figure from my current insurer I always check prices first on the comparison sites so that I know what is out there and use it as a bargaining tool if necessary.
I have just received my renewal quote from Aviva and am astonished to find that is is £40 less than I paid last year. o_O
To make it even better the cheapest equivalent quote I found on the comparison sites is almost £100 more.
I will definitely be staying with Aviva this year. :cool:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I have just had a renewal notice from LVE. Last year’s premium was £295, the renewal quote is £355 !. Comparethemaket came up with More Than at £283. Spoke to LVE and they didn’t respond favourably at all so it’s More Than for this coming year :rolleyes::)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have just had a renewal notice from LVE. Last year’s premium was £295, the renewal quote is £355 !. Comparethemaket came up with More Than at £283. Spoke to LVE and they didn’t respond favourably at all so it’s More Than for this coming year :rolleyes::)
Update..........

I tried to complete the quote from More Than on line (Comparethemarket) and it was pretty much impossible. I then rang More Than in order to pay them. The lady at More Than told me she could not find the £283 quote even though the quote said it was valid until the 9th June. :rolleyes:

OK I said lets start afresh and see where we go. After spending a good 1/2 hour answering all of the questions fired at me she then quoted a figure of £706 !!! How come the quote on Comparethemarket was £283 and now you are telling me it is £706 I ask. All she could say was that in accordance with the information I had given her £706 was the best they could do, conversation terminated there and then :shock:

I then contacted my previous insurer LVE, quoted my policy number and asked what was the best they could do bearing in mind that the renewal quote was £60 mare than last years premium and I hadn't cost them a single penny in claims against them. Best they could do was £305, just £10 more that last year. OK we will go ahead with that, they already had my card details on file so job done. Less than five minutes on the phone, simples :)

Last edited:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update..........

I tried to complete the quote from More Than on line (Comparethemarket) and it was pretty much impossible. I then rang More Than in order to pay them. The lady at More Than told me she could not find the £283 quote even though the quote said it was valid until the 9th June. :rolleyes:

OK I said lets start afresh and see where we go. After spending a good 1/2 hour answering all of the questions fired at me she then quoted a figure of £706 !!! How come the quote on Comparethemarket was £283 and now you are telling me it is £706 I ask. All she could say was that in accordance with the information I had given her £706 was the best they could do, conversation terminated there and then :shock:

I then contacted my previous insurer LVE, quoted my policy number and asked what was the best they could do bearing in mind that the renewal quote was £60 mare than last years premium and I hadn't cost them a single penny in claims against them. Best they could do was £305, just £10 more that last year. OK we will go ahead with that, they already had my card details on file so job done. Less than five minutes on the phone, simples :)
Well there's a surprise, I have just contacted LVE to amend a couple of details on my policy. There was a change of address from NR32 to NR1, remove commuting and change the parking to a secure compound. I was expecting a small charge to be made but to my surprise I haves received a £21 refund. o_O

Holy $hit I'm in shock now and will need to go and have a lie down :)

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I've just received my invitation to renew my CLK220 policy with Hastings. Couldn't believe it's over £100 less than last year. Less that is ! No change in NCD or anything else from last year, so go figure. I usually call them to encourage them to lower their offer but I'm afraid to call this year in case they want to put it up.

JoeHorner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W203 C270CDI Elegance
Just been hit by an "oddity" (Read- utterly one-sided practice) with our insurers around my partner's new '03 C270CDI.

Her car was hit, while parked and unoccupied, by a harvester that also wrote ff the next car to hers and left the scene without stopping.

This is all accepted fact, on CCTV and with independent witnesses, and the police are dealing with the harvester driver for failing to stop.

Our insurers know all this and have been in contact with the police for the other driver's details.

Hence getting the MB as a replacement.
Insurance quotes based on her NCD and a "non fault" claim for this work out at around £170.

BUT current insurers won't release the NCD until this claim is settled. That effectively ties us to them for this year and insurance is going to be £360 because of the claim which they register as "driver hit 3rd party, at fault".

And it appears, that once the policy starts (on Thursday), it won't be adjusted until next year even once the claim inevitably gets changed to "hit by 3rdvparty, no fault"?

How, exactly, is that different than us giving information we know to be false (such as hiding a modification) in order to get a lower price? Which would leave us open to having the policy invalidated & all the consequences that flow from that.

The more I think about this the more it's eating at me!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Just been hit by an "oddity" (Read- utterly one-sided practice) with our insurers around my partner's new '03 C270CDI.

Her car was hit, while parked and unoccupied, by a harvester that also wrote ff the next car to hers and left the scene without stopping.

This is all accepted fact, on CCTV and with independent witnesses, and the police are dealing with the harvester driver for failing to stop.

Our insurers know all this and have been in contact with the police for the other driver's details.

Hence getting the MB as a replacement.
Insurance quotes based on her NCD and a "non fault" claim for this work out at around £170.

BUT current insurers won't release the NCD until this claim is settled. That effectively ties us to them for this year and insurance is going to be £360 because of the claim which they register as "driver hit 3rd party, at fault".

And it appears, that once the policy starts (on Thursday), it won't be adjusted until next year even once the claim inevitably gets changed to "hit by 3rdvparty, no fault"?

How, exactly, is that different than us giving information we know to be false (such as hiding a modification) in order to get a lower price? Which would leave us open to having the policy invalidated & all the consequences that flow from that.

The more I think about this the more it's eating at me!
I would threaten to take them to the Financial Ombudsman if they persist in ignoring the police evidence.

JoeHorner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W203 C270CDI Elegance
I would threaten to take them to the Financial Ombudsman if they persist in ignoring the police evidence.
That's how I'm feeling but it's complicated a little by it being my partner's policy (so they won't talk to me without her agreement) and she "doesn't like to make a fuss". I think she's concerned about them just deciding not to insure her.

Once the policy's in place and the claim settled she may well feel differently but, in the meantime, it really annoys me that they can play these games knowing you have little choice but to play along.

FiveAlive

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E350CDI
The other day I made a change to my policy online and the premium went up.... by 1p. I paid the extra by credit card.

Merc pirate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2017 2 Litre
Did my annual insurance payment recently. Mine had gone up £5 so I took it and ran. It is such a rip off however you do it. Cars, motorbikes and house is all just a licence to print money. The car is with LV and was renewed over the phone and were a bit put out when I would not give them details of any other items that I insure.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did my annual insurance payment recently. Mine had gone up £5 so I took it and ran. It is such a rip off however you do it. Cars, motorbikes and house is all just a licence to print money. The car is with LV and was renewed over the phone and were a bit put out when I would not give them details of any other items that I insure.
So far I have found LV ok. We have just moved into central Norwich and I actually got a £21 refund. I also found it cheaper to have a named 2nd driver too. :)

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
I’m having to start all over again as it’s been a couple of years since I had any insurance under my name... quotes so far £2000+ :shock: A far cry from the £430 I used to pay... :rolleyes:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
The quotes coming in for my recently sold E63 had gone up from just under £300 to over £400
Eventually being an old grunter has its downsides.
Even a lowly 1.6lt C180k is coming in at £270.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Don't wait till last minute to buy. Buying a month ahead will see lower premiums.

3 weeks is apparently the best time to get quotes in

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom