OEM equip for brakes really required E500?

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 2003 / Acura RL 2003
I have a 2003 E500 and I know it will need front brakes soon. Due to the dealer quoted cost and brake dust, do I really need original equipment from Mercedes Benz, or could I just buy aftermarket product so I can avoid the brake dust. One of the technicians mentioned that rotors could not be turned and I needed MB parts due to the type braking system.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Sorry but merc parts only, otherhalfs A class had a good aftermarket disks and pads and the brakes were crap, set of merc disks and pads, brake back to normal!!

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160
Totally agree, Mercedes parts only. They are rigorously tested to conditions you would never encounter during day-to-day use which is why they were chosen to be fitted to your car in the first place.

Afterall it's an E500, you're not exactly running a 1600 Mondeo are you. (No offense to 1600 Mondeo drivers!) Its still a priviledge to drive a Merc.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Your normal local motor factor can supply you with Zimmernan disc,,for £100 the pair drilled and vented and OE to MB.

When I took the ones off my SL500 I found the Zimmernan made mine.

I only use EBC brake pads and have used them close on 10 years

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
The only discs I considered for my C43 AMG was drilled and grooved Black Diamond discs other than original MB that is (BD discs considered an upgrade from standard), but it was only when i measured my existing discs up and compared them to the measurement on the BD site that i realised that they had their info wrong and were trying to sell me C36 items, it turns out my discs are actually made by AMG themselves, and no other supplier could supply them.
With such a high performance car and being such a heavy car, I would be vary careful if you stray from the OEM route, but as Malcolm says do use EBC pads as they are considered superior, for a car of your power I would recommend the Red Stuff pads.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Totally agree, Mercedes parts only. They are rigorously tested to conditions you would never encounter during day-to-day use which is why they were chosen to be fitted to your car in the first place.

Eurocarparts list ATE discs and pads for £160. I can't see what's wrong with them? ATE are OEM for a lot of car makers and just as rigorously tested I believe.

Hi,
The only discs I considered for my C43 AMG was drilled and grooved Black Diamond discs ....

I have those on my Saab and they are very good indeed (if a little noisy) but only if used together with their predator pads.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I only use EBC brake pads and have used them close on 10 years

how do they compare to OEM pads for price Malcolm? and dont they wear the discs much more heavily?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
how do they compare to OEM pads for price Malcolm? and dont they wear the discs much more heavily?

The green are slightly more expensive and do not wear the disc, and the wheels stay very clean and are easy to clean.

The RED are the next ones up they are ceramic with a terrific bite, but will wear the disc a little more, but you still get clean wheels. There are others , but these are the common ones

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
im going to need pads soon and probably discs too. dont think i can warrant RED pads so its basically a decision between new OEM pads or the GREEN pads with new discs then i guess!

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Only the Ultimax and most of the red stuff range have ECE regulation 90 certification.

If you fit brake friction parts without ECE90, then this counts as a modification which you should tell your insurer about.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do green stuff pads have ECE regulation 90 cert ?

This is a hard question when looking at their site

They have been sold world wide for 12 years now,,and I have never seen any thing bad about them,,,that includes the ones sold in the USA

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But I was wondering, if you have a bump and the insurance accesser spots them...would your policy be invalid ?

Well it never happened yet to my knowledge,, I will Email them and ask

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
worth asking but EBC are a reputable firm. Its not an insurance issue if you go to your local factors and get some chinese copy pads - as many do I imagine, so I can't see why EBC would fall foul. I imagine all pads, produced here or imported and sold have to meet british standards by law
I suspect the answer is that they meet british standards and that will be the only insurer's criteria.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>I suspect the answer is that they meet british standards and that will be the only insurer's criteria.

As I quoted above, it's ECE regulation 90 compliance which is important. To obtain this certification, replacement brake pads need, among other things to perform within an allowable tolerance of the original brake equipment. Once R90 certified, the friction parts can be considered as drop in replacements and are not considered as a modification.

Top Bottom