Offer of contribution to repairs for Ml 270 @ 8 years old

Tontastic

Reaction score
Website
www.tontastic.com
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDI 2001 ; C180 1999
Car is bang on 8 years old, ML 270 CDI. Despite having the back arches and tailgate done through the warranty about 2 years ago (from memory) with 100% paid by mercedes it is back. With the 8 years old a couple of weeks away i took it in for an inspection and after some chasing they have come with a 50% contribution, so it will cost me £300 for the repair. I've chased them to ask for more money but the main point of my question is if this is the shape of things to come? I have had an e-class estate and a c-class done before with no issues, first time i have been asked for a contribution despite full service history etc.

I'm in two minds to say stuff it but then the car will only start to deteriorate ....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is the guy on the sticky rust thread in the bodywork section the issued a summons to MB and they paid up,,it is number 47 in that thread

OP
T

Tontastic

Reaction score
Website
www.tontastic.com
Your Mercedes
I asked the guy to go back to mercedes, and he says they are not budging. I appear to have "misheard" him when it came to the cost, as it turns out it is £1600, so my 50% would be £800. So back to the drawing board and i will get onto mercedes myself, time to trawl through the board to see if anyone has a contact email/address for customer services.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The head is Dermot Kelly at Milton Keynes Hawk has put up the completer address several times

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Is it just me, or are we seeing the figure of £800 too often on rust repair warranty threads for it to be coincidence?
On this thread the contribution from the OP would be £800, I've seen that figure on a few other rust threads recently - and it was the figure given to me by MB Ashford in July when I tried to get a warranty rust repair on my C270 just before its' 8th birthday!

OP
T

Tontastic

Reaction score
Website
www.tontastic.com
Your Mercedes
£300 i could have lived with, £800 is too much when the garage roof needs replacing, the gutter line is falling apart round the house, and the rust is just peeking through, barely noticeable. Perhaps they know the line at which folk won't jump on it?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I think its more to do with the line that the £800 will cover the cost of the repairs and Mb wont have to contribute anything.. and many customers will go away thinking that Mb have contributed.. They dont call them the MB goodwill team for nothing

OP
T

Tontastic

Reaction score
Website
www.tontastic.com
Your Mercedes
I approached Mercedes as recommended via email, and had an amazingly quick response to say that my case would be investigated. Two weeks later i asked for an update and the advice was that they would not be increasing the offer of 50% contribution for the front wings. Front wings I asked, what about the rest of the work? The garage is going to redo that work i was told. News to me I told the nice man on the phone. So it would appear that Mercedes have suggested to the garage that they shouldn't have to pay out twice for bodywork repairs within two years, and the garage have agreed, and they are sticking to their 50% offer for the front wings.

Couple of days later i still haven't heard from the bodyshop about this development. I'll need to give them a call just in case they are planning to never call me up about it, hoping i will just go away.

jamesleigh

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220cdi clk320 cab vito 115 sprinter 315 cdi b180cdi a150cdi
this body rust problem is a joke i think it gets done on a who you know basis i am seeing w 210 front main subframes with rust holes in them mbenz say its not a problem ????? if you have a persional friend in the service dept it gets done

OP
T

Tontastic

Reaction score
Website
www.tontastic.com
Your Mercedes
Well after a *long* *long* time the car is finally in the bodyshop getting the rust done. I had to chase Dermot Kelly after getting no traction with the bodyshop since last November and i have to say things moved along pretty swiftly after that. So i am getting the rear arches and tail gate under the reg plate sorted where rust is emerging. They also offered to do the front wings if i paid for the parts/materials, so for £170 it is all getting done. I also managed to get a courtesy car from them for the duration of the repairs. I wasn't that bothered about it, but after they held onto my car for such a long time for the initial repair i figure they will be more likely to be efficient while i have something of theirs.

Top Bottom