Oh nuts!!!

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
Well bolts actually.

Just bought some Merc' 18" wheels to replace the standard 16" on my E class and was fiddling around trying to hold the wheel and get the bolts in, I always find this a b*tch to do.

After lying flat on my back and KNOWING the bolt holes in the wheel were DEFINATELY aligned to the threaded hole in the hub and still not understanding why they wouldn't screw in I used my head and took wheel off and pushed bolt through the wheel to see...................about 2mm of thread showing. So THAT'S why they wouldn't bolt up:Oops:

On standrd rim about 12mm of thread showing. The threaded shaft of the bolt up to the tapered 'collar' (including the unthreaded element of it) is about 26mm so I guess I need 36mm long instead.

Is this a standard bolt and what is best source for them (seen wheel bolts on eBay) and I guess I need new locking bolts also..........starting to get expensive now:rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is a group of shops called Top Gear, they sell nice chromium plated bolts for £1 each, you are correct in that you need 12mm sticking out the rear, when the bolt is placed in the hole, I think that the nearest stock bolts are 38mm, no problem with the fronts, when you do the rears, spin the wheel to be sure that the bolts clear the parking brake shoes

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
....on the subject of alloy wheel bolts, any idea what the part number is for my wheels. E240 - WDB210061

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
....on the subject of alloy wheel bolts, any idea what the part number is for my wheels. E240 - WDB210061

Would that be for the ones that go rusty the first time it rains

OP
O

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
There is a group of shops called Top Gear, they sell nice chromium plated bolts for £1 each, you are correct in that you need 12mm sticking out the rear, when the bolt is placed in the hole, I think that the nearest stock bolts are 38mm, no problem with the fronts, when you do the rears, spin the wheel to be sure that the bolts clear the parking brake shoes

Does anyone know a part number as looking around it seems more complicated than I first thought as there are radius bolts, tapered bolts and everybody seems to measure the length differently, etc.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They are radius, the MB ones are 38mm long at 14mm.

You need 12 mm min sticking out of the rear of the wheel

andy500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1994 E320 Estate
I was short of two wheel bolts, so had a search through my local MB indie's box of bolts.
There are at least ten, twenty different types.
Some full threads, some half thread.
Different chamfers, head depths, all sorts.
Every one in his box was a Merc OE bolt - there's LOADS of types of bolt - bit scary to be honest - the wrong chamfer and your wheels could fall off!

OP
O

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
Does anybody know the part number of the STANDARD bolt so I can at least give the spec of the standard bolt and say "add 10mm to that" as some places out there seem really helpful if you give them some details to work with.

It was only checking after TV's comment that they were 'radius' head as first glance by me I thought they were tapered on the shaft so was busy looking for them.

As I said, more complicated than I thought this bolt malarkey and I have wheels and new tyres stacked in the garage waiting to go on the car

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can see in the picture that they are Radius.

As before you need 12mm sticking out from the rear and it makes no difference if the bolt is threaded all the way, the one in the picture is a 28mm long,and you can see the rust band 12mm from the end of the bolt. The length measurement is taken form the start of the taper to the end, and not the overall length of the bolt.

The bolt are much cheaper from wheel suppliers, and they come chrome plated. MB only have 2 lengths, the other one is 38mm I belive.

They are easily cut to length with a hack saw, or they can be ground off

Attachments

• DSC00245.JPG
    DSC00245.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 10

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom