Oil extraction pump

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I'd never flush with anything other than engine oil. If you don't think all the oil is extracted you wouldn't want flushing oil/diesel left in there...
Very good point.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
With petrol engines there are fewer carbon contaminants released into the sump compared to a diesel.
It's not unusual for petrol engines to run 6000 miles before the oil darkens.
On a diesel the oil blackens up almost immediately.

I think the point was that the dipstick tube and the sump plug are generally in the same place so the difference would be negligible.
Just wondering why such a dramatic difference.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
With petrol engines there are fewer carbon contaminants released into the sump compared to a diesel.
It's not unusual for petrol engines to run 6000 miles before the oil darkens.
On a diesel the oil blackens up almost immediately.

This does not happen on my reliable old derv VAG thanks to a bolt in a certain vac line and the oil extractor being able to suck out the oil cooler directly below the oil filter housing .

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
If you're really bothered about getting the last bit of dirty oil out drain till empty, fill with 1-2 litres fresh oil and pump till empty again.
Good idea. You could use tesco's cheapest on offer oil, as you are going to suck it out immediately before use. I wouldn't bother, as I change my oil regularly. When I first got her she had been serviced according to mileage, but it was a long time since the last change. The garage changed the oil during their pre sale service, so I did a second change after 2K to be sure.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I bought an ebay £12 electric extraction pump... They all seem identical. Absolutely superb as can just pump the old oil straight into a container for disposal. Can drain 4l of oil from my boat engine using the built on oil extactor, but can remover 5 litres with the electric one!
One more bonus is being able to pump new gearbox oil from its container straight into the nearly impossible to fill jimny 4x4 gearbox ! Electric all the way, especially at only £12

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I find it difficult to accept this statement that engine oil will stay 'clean' (by 'clean' I presume the OP means visually translucent, not dark) for 6,000 miles of average motoring.

The OP's observation that many dealerships use the pumped extraction method suggests that they are convinced of its effectiveness. After all, they wouldn't deliberately lay themselves open to claims if this method didn't do the job.

As it happens, this has been the standard method of oil changing in lube shops throughout Uncle Sam's domain for decades.

The C70's are both petrol engines and do motorway miles but, in my experience and observations the oil stays golden for around 6,000 miles before is slowly starts to change towards a light brown when done via the drain plug v extraction pump.

The diesel cars I have had on lease, Astra GTC and MB E350 I just gave to the stealers and when I checked on the Astra the oil was black straight away and over filled on all occasions.

As for whether just beacuse I have seen more and more dealers use extraction pumps I do not personally agree with that they are the best thing since sliced bread nor am I saying that they are bad. Personally, these devices have their place but where possible, I'll personally favour leaving the drain plug off for a good 30-40 minutes. I appreciate this is not feasible at all times, its messy and hard work comapred to an extraction pump etc. Dealers chase efficiency and profits, they do not give 2 hoots about doing a job to the best standard it can be but, rather, 'that will do, get it the f*ck out quickly'.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The C70's are both petrol engines and do motorway miles but, in my experience and observations the oil stays golden for around 6,000 miles before is slowly starts to change towards a light brown when done via the drain plug v extraction pump.

The diesel cars I have had on lease, Astra GTC and MB E350 I just gave to the stealers and when I checked on the Astra the oil was black straight away and over filled on all occasions.

As for whether just beacuse I have seen more and more dealers use extraction pumps I do not personally agree with that they are the best thing since sliced bread nor am I saying that they are bad. Personally, these devices have their place but where possible, I'll personally favour leaving the drain plug off for a good 30-40 minutes. I appreciate this is not feasible at all times, its messy and hard work comapred to an extraction pump etc. Dealers chase efficiency and profits, they do not give 2 hoots about doing a job to the best standard it can be but, rather, 'that will do, get it the f*ck out quickly'.
I think it's just the difference between diesel and petrol, my V6 petrol had the oil sucked out 15,000 miles ago, it's still yellow :)
My previous diseasal would be black at the first check.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I think it's just the difference between diesel and petrol, my V6 petrol had the oil sucked out 15,000 miles ago, it's still yellow :)
My previous diseasal would be black at the first check.
That's it exactly. Diesels deposit much more carbon (soot) into the oil which is why it turns black.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I used it on the car tonight, very to use and empty. Just one question, the instructions said to clean out after, is this really necessary? I tried my best, but I would really have to unscrew the top to get in there.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I used it on the car tonight, very to use and empty. Just one question, the instructions said to clean out after, is this really necessary? I tried my best, but I would really have to unscrew the top to get in there.

I just hang the extract hose in my garage with a bottle or rag under the end till all oil is drained

CrustyClam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
Quick question on these pumps, is the best way to remove the oil filter first or after? Or maybe just loosen the cap that holds it in place before starting.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can clean the pump by sucking through a little clean oil at the end.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
You can clean the pump by sucking through a little clean oil at the end.

Why would you bother? It's still oil at the end of the day, you can never really clean it, only have black or new oil in it.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651

I use my pump to transfer products other than just Engine Oil so I will recycle £1's worth of Methylated Spirit through the pump/pipework then blow compressed air through to dry, It may be a little OTT, I just don't know if any residue from the previous use will affect the next and it gives me peace of mind.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've only done it once, and that was after removing the ancient , very cruddy,oil from a mates diesel. Normally I wouldn't bother. Leaving some oil in will stop anything going rusty if you have a damp garage.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom