Oil in spark plug hole w202

jonc78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202
Went to change the spark plugs today and found oil in the hole of the spark plug nearest the back of the engine. The other 3 all looked fine and dry. I soaked/cleaned away as much of the oil as possibly and changed all the spark plugs. I'm now concerned some oil may have gone down the spark plug hole. Should I be worried about this? Also how did the oil get there and is this diy fix or an indie job?
The car is a 99 c class (w202) with 70,000 miles. The plugs were last changed about 4 years ago. The car still drives very smoothly.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Cam box cover gasket kit will cure your problem. One of the seals around the spark plugs is perished and oil is entering the hole. Its pretty straight forward to change if you fancy having a go. Theres nothing to worry about if you have had the car running as any excess oil will burn off

OP
J

jonc78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202
Thanks for the information alf230. Are there any special tools needed to for this job? Is mercedes the best place to get these parts? If I ask for the 'cam box cover gasket' and 'spark plug seals' will this be enough to get the correct parts? I always get a look of contempt from the guy on the parts section at mercedes when I try and explain what I need.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
I have not long replaced the rocker cover gasket on my C230K, for the same reason (oil in spark plug hole), i bought mine from ECP (Euro car parts).
You need to ask for a rocker cover gsket, from Euro's it came with the oil seals for the spark plug holes, but if you get it from MB i think you will have to buy them separetly.
My car did,nt need any special tools though i believe later cars may have had Torx screws holding the ignition coils down.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom