oil leak

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
just an update.
This did not totally fix the leak, but has halved the oil to about 1 drip in 500 miles.
however, heres a bit of a surprise.
On MOT the plated value on emissions for a pass is 0.80.
Last year it was 0.73 so got a pass
This year, same machine, same garage same tester, it was 0.49, and the only thing i have done to the engine is fit the catch can.
So it appears it does have some affect on emissions.
If anyone has an older derv car that is struggling with the test, then fitting a catch can could help.

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
any links to where you bought latest catch can, might do this mod after seeing oil lying around in my turbo and pipes, if my intake manifold change goes according to plan and the car starts !!

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Theres a picture of it on here, got it from ebay, it was only about 12 quid and is well made. I took it apart and made sure it was all sealed well as did not want any other leaks.
Fitting behind right hand headlight was only place for it to go, easy job

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Theres a picture of it on here, got it from ebay, it was only about 12 quid and is well made. I took it apart and made sure it was all sealed well as did not want any other leaks.
Fitting behind right hand headlight was only place for it to go, easy job
saw the pic ,thought it looked good, will check out fleabay when the time is right, thanks.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Just thought i would update this.
Since fitting catch can, the first 600 odd miles i still had an oil seep from the Turbo joint, but since then, nothing.
I suspect the there was quite a bit in the turbo body, which has now drained out. No oil has shown for about 400 miles now.
The catch can has oil in it, but not a lot, just starting to show on the site tube.
Due an oil change in about 1000 miles so will empty it then.
So at the moment, appears to be working as intended.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom