Oil leak???

C

C180 Chris

Hi All,

I have an unusual oil leak on my S class 320, well i say unusual because i can't see where it is coming from!

I have been under the car with the plastic sump shield off and there is plenty of oil about but i just cant seem to narrow it down. I cleaned it last week so i could see any new leak eisier but am still having trouble.
My favourites are so far.. A metal pipe that runs along the bottom of the sump line and seems to go into the gearbox (not the filler one) and a similar looking pipe on the other side.
Maybe related, i have got flaring between gearchanges and it seems to hang on to 1st for too long.
I do not have any oil coming from the join between the engine and gearbox nor is there any at all around the gearbox area or on that plug near the back.

the oil pattern on the ground seems to be in a few places and it ends at the back of where the engine sits above (that is to say not as far as the gearbox)

Maybe this is a known fault, hope so!

Also, oil seems to be up around the bottom of the alternator???? Maybe a spray??
Hope this makes sense to someone

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
On that engine possibly the front crank shaft seal behind the damper pulley

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Chris --1. is it oil ? are you losing it by checking level ? (Also check hydraulic fuild levels)
Has it recently been worked on or serviced --rocker cover gaskets are very fidly and prone to leak if not renewed when taken off .
As for it being on the rear of the engine thats normal for all engine related leaks due to driving and the air pushing it towards the rear.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
I had a small leak that I couldnt work out where it was from, so I bought a tin of spray GUNK it cleared all of the oil deposits off so after a few miles, I was able to see the exact source of the leak, the front bolts of the sump needed an extra twist.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Chris

As per Malcolm it is likely the crankshaft front seal gone/going.

The oil only leaks out when the engine is running, so the only oil you will see on the drive is the oil that has been blown back along the underside and now drips down when the car becomes stationary.

Obviously if it is red in colour then it is the gearbox fluid.

I have just replaced my front crankshaft seal on the same engine (104 that's yours ?)
and there is quite a bit of front engine and ancillaries dismantling to do as well as coolant drainage etc, and a special tool needed to lock engine to be able to undo the high torque bolt.

The seal itself costs just £9 (approx) and you probably need the repair seal which seals about 2 mm further in to a new position on the pulley shaft.

Mine had done 167,000 miles.

Only get a Merc person to do the job if you are farming it out.

OP
C

C180 Chris

Thanks to everyone for replying so quickly,

It looks like the Crankshaft seal then, i will get it up in the air and have another poke about to see if i can see any more.
It only seems to affect the lower engine area, so think rocker cover etc is ok.
When i looked i didn't remember seeing any "Fresh Oil" around the front crank area but that huge crossmember obscures vision up near that area of the engine a bit anyway.

Wonder if the gearbox flaring is not related to the oil leak then, Has anyone got any ideas on that??

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom