Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Spoke to KF customer services today.

They didn't sound too impressed by what I told them and it's now being handed over to the Operations Manager and i've to expect a call from him/her within 3 days working days.

Needless to say I will be posting the results as and when.

Cameron

Did they use a pump to extract the engine oil?

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
Am I the only one wondering if Kwik Fit were touting for a gearbox fill by creating a fault where previously none existed?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Am I the only one wondering if Kwik Fit were touting for a gearbox fill by creating a fault where previously none existed?

Yes you are since the op said that KF said they couldn't do it.;)

ELGRINGO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e230 c180 sl280 brabus a190 smar cart
Whilst being sympathetic about your problem it amazes me, how many people take there prized possession to these places. Just as alex never over filled in many years with mb.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
...........Just as alex never over filled in many years with mb.

scary thing is we know we might one day, but then that is what stops us doing it - discuss.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
We never overfill and always put/meter the specified ammount of oil for each engine, but or rare occasions the correct ammount of oil might trip up the oil high light when the oil gets very hot, say on a motorway. This could be due to the oil being cold (sat in a freezing tank in a freezing workshop) and then expanding when hot, or an oversensitive sensor. On older V8's, if you pulled the dipstick out in the morning it would be an inch over, if you then ran the car for a minute, it would be and inch under, only when the engine was warm and you let the oil settle would you get a correct reading.

alec2

Reaction score
Hi

You can check the actual oil level without a dipstick.

Turn key to position 1 ensure total mileage is displayed.

Turn key to off. then to 1 again, then, before SRS light goes out, push tripreset button 3 times.

The display then goes into a new mode showing battery voltage.
Use the up/down buttons on the wheel to find the menu with OIL at the bottom.

Tutn key to position2 wait a few moments and the actual oil level will be displayed in litres

Alec

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Hi

Turn key to off. then to 1 again, then, before SRS light goes out, push tripreset button 3 times.

Tutn key to position2 wait a few moments and the actual oil level will be displayed in litres

Alec

yes and we do after each service.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Hi

Alec

And would that be as accurate as an actual dipstick...or as accurate as your fuel tank reading??

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The op's car is a 203.

OP
C

camerontyler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C 220 CDI 51 Plate
Good Evening,

Finished work and had a few missed calls from a random number.

Turns out it was the Operations Manager for Kwik Fit.

He'd been down to the KF station where I got the oil changed.

The manager of the station has admitted to him that he thought something had gone wrong because the fault had only appeared once the work had been done but I'd left by that point and he only realised this after I'd visited and he'd thought about it....

Anyway, the Operations Manager was very nice on the phone and sounded very sincere when he said first of all I would like to offer my upmost apologies for what has happened and that he was dealing with it personally.

I told him I had been advised to get a full ATF replacement and flush incase the ATF has become contaminated with engine oil which could in turn destroy the gearbox.

He told me to do whatever needs done and Kwik Fit will cover the costs.
He also said he will cover any costs i've already incurred.

He told me I can either pay for it myself, take the invoice into Kwik Fit and I will get an immediate refund or I can get it fixed in Edinburgh and he will go and pay for it himself.

I told him I was happy to pay and claim a refund if he would put it in writing.

I will now follow this up (unfortunately back at work this week after being off but will try and get something sorted out for Saturday) and I will post the final conclusion once it's sorted.

Thanks everyone for the support and advice.

Hopefully i'll be able to report that in the end, Kwik Fit are happy to admit their mistakes and resolve them whatever the cost.

For now, the jury is still out......

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They could not be fairer than that, they are trying to enter the field of mass car servicing

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Good Evening,

The manager of the station has admitted to him that he thought something had gone wrong because the fault had only appeared once the work had been done but I'd left by that point and he only realised this after I'd visited and he'd thought about it....

Did he say what they had done that caused them to be suspicious?

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
it's not just kwik fit many garages are the same, knowing a good inde is very important if you own a merc. my local garage has all the bells and whistles etc, BUT they do not know how mercs operate, a £5 brake pipe cost me £800.
background. the garage owner who used to be a friend of mine left a 22yr old just out of his time apprenticeship to remove and replace the brake pipe which runs across the back of the car, unfortunatelly that is where the SLS (self levelling suspension) pipes reside. when my friend the garage owner returned all the SLS pipes had been removed and bent up and binned. SO the garage owner had the audacity to tell me i had a problem as MB did not supply replacement pipes for the sls system.
SO as is practice with brake pipes i had to obtain some 6mm copper pipe and they replaced the 6mm bundy with this.
the system contains 6 lit of high spec oil, (£10/lit.) due to the high temp etc. the temp also caused the copper to be imcompatible with the compression fittings so leakage became a problem. my garage owner friend then said i need 6mm bundy pipe, this came from cambridge at a cost of £75. when it arrived at the garage they turned it away as they did not know what it was for.
eventually the copper was replaced with the bundy pipe, rough job, but they could not flare the ends of the tube as they had lost their 6mm flaring former, SO i had one made for them.
weeks are going by and although they stopped the leakage the sls did not operate, it was very bumpy. SO they said it must be the shock absorbing spheres, oil on one side and hydro oil on the other. these were obtained at £200. and fitted, no difference. so they said it must be the tandem pump at £700.
my wife then stepped in and said we are getting away from this rookie outfit.
we went to an indi and he said the pipes were crossed on the sls valve which sits on the rear suspension. he fixed it and we added up our total bill from the £5 brake pipe reair, it was £800.
i never returned to the garage as i would have got physical, they even failed the car on an mot for the rear indicator bulbs having faded, it took all of 5 mins to change them. who needs friends.
these garages survive because 75% of owners do not know about cars, also people who do know like me can be screwed. herbiemercman.

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
bought my wife a corsa with 10,000 miles on the clock, it had just been service with a rookie garage. car as new BUT engine surging very anoying to drive. problem was they had put 1.5 lit too much oil in. as long as i am able i will always do my own oil changes, it is easy and very important. herbiemercman.

OP
C

camerontyler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C 220 CDI 51 Plate
Good Evening Everyone,

Sorry I havn't posted about the situation for a while but I wanted to wait until everything was done and dusted.

After all the anguish, the very helpful area manager did everything he could to make me happy.

He organised a cheque for me to the value of the cost of the initial repair at Deutsch Marque plus the cost of a full ATF replacement by Mercedes.

I was very pleased but he went one step further. I mentioned in a conversation with him that it was a shame all this had happened as I was going to take advantage of Kwik Fit's £25 MOT offer (no catches may I add).
He immediately said "I would really like to get your confidance back with Kwik Fit, how about you let us do the MOT at no cost to yourself".
I had a quick think and because an MOT is at the end of an MOT done by a qualified MOT tester I thought it would be an idiot to refuse (I knwo, most fo you are thinking "some people never learn).

The car went in for MOT last Saturday (Was due this Saturday).
Unfortunately it failed due to too much play at the join of the inner track rod.
I was discussing what exactly was wrong with it with the manager (the guy who trained with Merc).
He said it was a fairly simple job, that he understood if I wanted to take it to Merc to get it sorted but he said if I wanted if I got the part he would personally fit it free of charge.
Again, how could I refuse!
I went home ordered the part from Eurocarparts (Lemforder £18)
The part arrived, I took the car in Thursday midday.
Approx 4pm I got a call saying the car was ready and had passed MOT.

The car has been perfect since MOT, the only quip I have is the locking wheel nut was left on! I noticed it after driving for 3-4 miles.
I just had this odd gut feeling something wasn't right with the driver side front wheel. I pulled over to check the tire and there, hanging from the locking bolt was the locking nut! Thank goodness I found it, otherwise I may have had some issues if I ever got a flat!

As for the mechanic who messed up and didn't own up he has been appropriately disciplined according to company guidelines. I can't say exactly to what stage (legal) but i'll let you use your intelligance and imaginations.

In conclussion, overall I am very happy.
I have received and cashed a cheque for £320.18
The MOT is done and a new inner track rod has been fitted free of charge.
My faith is partially restored but if I ever go back I think it will only be for an MOT or to have tyres fitted as and when.

Thanks to everyone who advised and supported me, it was very much appreciated.

Cameron

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Good...glad all's well.

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
Tyre fitters can mess up as well. Jack in the wrong place (I have suffered bent sills, distorted suspension) / crossthreaded bolts banged on with the gun. If I need tyres now I usually get the wheels off myself and just take those in. Even then they goofed up last time; fitted a pair of wheels with asymetric treaded tyres with the 'OUTSIDE' (printed on the tyre) on the inside on both wheels ! It would be funny if it wasn't so much hassle and cost/trouble when they do things wrong.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom