Oil overfill warning?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I'm not sure it would if you have a dipstick fitted , but I would guess yes if it doesn't have a dipstick .
Your in car manual may well say

OP
P

Philip1972

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Convertible
Thanks. My car does have a dipstick.

I havent overfilled, but a friend did on his Discovery and got a warning. It just got ne thinking.
Thanks

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks. My car does have a dipstick.

I havent overfilled, but a friend did on his Discovery and got a warning. It just got ne thinking.
Thanks
Better go and check the level now buddy , before it eats away at you :D . (I want to check mine now you mentioned it !)

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
I'm not sure it would if you have a dipstick fitted , but I would guess yes if it doesn't have a dipstick .
Your in car manual may well say

There is a dipstick fitted in my w212, and after I got the car, I discovered that there was too much oil in it, but no warning light showed on the dash. I guess that some one had dipped it shortly after the engine was stopped after a long run, and though that the low level meant it was low, and was a bit over enthusiastic about topping it up.
Is there some way of "Asking" the on-board computer to tell how much oil is present in the sump? I have the iCarsoft MB11 ( not the iCarsoft MB V2,,,which was released the week after I got mine.......:mad: ) and I guess it's possible to use this to see how much oil is in the sump......but much simpler to just open the bonnet and use the dipstick !!!
Regards,
Jim2

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ Have you scrolled through the menus on the steering wheel to see if there is an oil level check?

My W211 has this facility although it doesn't have a dipstick.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Same as my W211 , when I slightly overfilled it , there was no warning , but that was only by a small amount , maybe if you really overfill it there might be a warning .
I have an MBII as well , but I'm not sure if it can tell sump oil amount unless your car is set up to measure with an on board computer check . (I don't think my car is on the normal menus but I would guess MB Star can probably tell )

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
^ Have you scrolled through the menus on the steering wheel to see if there is an oil level check?

My W211 has this facility although it doesn't have a dipstick.

Hi AMGeed, I am still making discoveries on what can be assessed from the steering wheel menu's, but so far I have not seen anything about engine oil level, any tips on what (or where ) to look? Thanks.
Regards, Jim2

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
..... but I'm not sure if it can tell sump oil amount unless your car is set up to measure with an on board computer check . (I don't think my car is on the normal menus but I would guess MB Star can probably tell )

If the car can't measure its own oil level with its own electronics, how will STAR? :rolleyes:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Hi AMGeed, I am still making discoveries on what can be assessed from the steering wheel menu's, but so far I have not seen anything about engine oil level, any tips on what (or where ) to look? Thanks.
Regards, Jim2

My older W211 probably has a different menu to your later W212 JIm, but this is how you check a W211.

Turn ign key to Pos# 2, and the standard display appears in the multi-function display.
Press the up and down arrow on the steering wheel, scrolling through the menu until you see the following message
"Engine oil level ..Measuring now."

The engine should have been brought up to operating temperature beforehand as oil levels should be checked when warm.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My older W211 probably has a different menu to your later W212 JIm, but this is how you check a W211.

Turn ign key to Pos# 2, and the standard display appears in the multi-function display.
Press the up and down arrow on the steering wheel, scrolling through the menu until you see the following message
"Engine oil level ..Measuring now."

The engine should have been brought up to operating temperature beforehand as oil levels should be checked when warm.
I would have seen that if it was there,,,so back to the dipstick. Thanks again for your help,
Jim2

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the car can't measure its own oil level with its own electronics, how will STAR? :rolleyes:
True , but my thinking is that there are the menus that are available normally to the driver/owner, and then there are the sub menus that are available to dealers (and readers of YouTube and forums) that allow you to specify oil types , filter changes and reset service menus . I'm not a user of Star but it does seem to be able to interrogate cars quite in depth . But as you say , if it can't tell , then I've learnt something new .

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Turn the key to the first position, press the reset button beside the display quickly three times this brings up a sub-menu use the up arrow on the steering wheel once this will display the oil contents at the bottom of the menu "blank", turn the key to the next position and it will read the volume in litres.
Works on W203. I don't know how accurate this is. If it's so important why didn't they just use a dip stick!!!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom