Oill Leaking from SL55 ABC Pump!

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BRABUS SL55 K8 (R230), SL500 (R129), B Class B200 CDi, VW T5 Transporter.
Hi all, I have a 2003 SL55 R230, I have an oil leak from my ABC pump, not exactly sure where its coming from, but its somewhere very close to it.

The pump still works, power steering is still functioning and the ride hight adjusts as normal, but every so often I have to add ABC oil. All four struts are totally dry, when the car is placed up on a ramp and the under tray removed you can clearly see the area the oil is coming but seeing as its so cramped its difficult to pin-point if its a hose or a seal connecting the hose to the ABC Pump.

Apparently this pump is around £900 plus fitting. :(

Not sure if my warranty company will cover it (Warranty Direct) because even though they do cover for that part failure but NOT for oil leaks!

Is that pump serviceable, is it a common failure, could it be a hose leading to it or from it?

Thanks in advance.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sad to hear this young man, it does appear to be the pump, if the warranty company will not cover it,,,let is run out of fluid and sit down, Wheels straight ahead then the pump can really fail.

But if the car is not drivable, which it is not for a long run it must be covered

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Hi all, I have a 2003 SL55 R230, I have an oil leak from my ABC pump, not exactly sure where its coming from, but its somewhere very close to it.

The pump still works, power steering is still functioning and the ride hight adjusts as normal, but every so often I have to add ABC oil. All four struts are totally dry, when the car is placed up on a ramp and the under tray removed you can clearly see the area the oil is coming but seeing as its so cramped its difficult to pin-point if its a hose or a seal connecting the hose to the ABC Pump.

Not sure if my warranty company will cover it (Warranty Direct) because even though they do cover for that part failure but NOT for oil leaks!

Is that pump serviceable, is it a common failure, could it be a hose leading to it or from it?

Thanks in advance.

Had that pump changed just before I sold mine a month ago.

The pump was not leaking, but it was operating at low pressure which was causing the car to look either like a monster truck or a low rider depending on the weather.

Warranty Direct paid for the swap.

They initially refused to fork out for a hydraulic steering line that sheared off in the old pump as the policy excludes (can't remember the exact term) "oil lines".

A few words of clarification explaining the line was a steering line (which is included) and they paid up.

All down to how the garage approaches them - if they say it's a leak then they will wriggle out. If, however it was reported as a pump failure then you should get it. Should the fluid level get too low then the car will misbehave at which point it could be diagnosed as a pump failure ;)

cfoster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 AMG PPP, C220 CDi Sport, Lexus GS300 SE-L
I thought my pump was leaking on mine, spent the day panicing and and stripping it back to check etc etc... Turned out to be the headlight washer jet leaking from the back, down onto the pump and dropping the green fluid onto the floor - phew!! (pump isnt even 2 years old!!!)

Could be worth checking?

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ABC Pump issue.

I thought my pump was leaking on mine, spent the day panicing and and stripping it back to check etc etc... Turned out to be the headlight washer jet leaking from the back, down onto the pump and dropping the green fluid onto the floor - phew!! (pump isnt even 2 years old!!!)

Could be worth checking?

Well worth checking, thanks for this, its going in next week, i will keep you updated.

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had that pump changed just before I sold mine a month ago.

The pump was not leaking, but it was operating at low pressure which was causing the car to look either like a monster truck or a low rider depending on the weather.

Warranty Direct paid for the swap.

They initially refused to fork out for a hydraulic steering line that sheared off in the old pump as the policy excludes (can't remember the exact term) "oil lines".

A few words of clarification explaining the line was a steering line (which is included) and they paid up.

All down to how the garage approaches them - if they say it's a leak then they will wriggle out. If, however it was reported as a pump failure then you should get it. Should the fluid level get too low then the car will misbehave at which point it could be diagnosed as a pump failure ;)

Thanks DRMW - They will be getting an "ABC Pump Failure" Star readout !!!! Oil leak, what oil leak!!! :lol:

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Some good news!

I took my car in to my local inde (Motoraid) they looked further in to my ABC Oil leak and found that all I need was a couple of oil seals replaced and the other great news was that the pump does not need to be removed in order to carry out the work!!!
GREAT NEWS!!! :D

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ABC Suspension Oil Leak! update

Thanks in advance.

The garage repaced the oil seals that sit between the connecting hoses and the ABC pump. after further checks its been noticed that there is still a leak and this time its leaking from a hose which connects to the pump. not sure which one but the indie has quoted £360 just for the hose!!!! WTF??? Lol

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
The garage repaced the oil seals that sit between the connecting hoses and the ABC pump. after further checks its been noticed that there is still a leak and this time its leaking from a hose which connects to the pump. not sure which one but the indie has quoted £360 just for the hose!!!! WTF??? Lol

When my pump needed changing (covered by Warranty Direct) one of the hoses to the power steering sheared.

WD "declined" to pay as it was an oil line (excluded).

I had a "conversation" with them - explained it was a dual pump - ABC & steering and that the line in question was power steering line (covered) - they paid out.

It was just over £460 from memory

madspoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003
Warranty ABC Pump

I have had a similar problem with my warranty company EFG Companies in the US. They are saying that they will not cover the pump, even though it is a dual pump with two functions.

The issue is apparently in the ABC part of the pump but the part that needs to be replaced is a dual function Power Steering Pump part #0034665001. Listed under covered parts includes the phrase Power Steering Pump.

Shouldn't this be covered? Am I being unreasonable?

madspoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003
Warranty ABC Pump

I have had a similar problem with my warranty company EFG Companies in the US. They are saying that they will not cover the pump, even though it is a dual pump with two functions.

The issue is apparently in the ABC part of the pump but the part that needs to be replaced is a dual function Power Steering Pump part #0034665001. Listed under covered parts includes the phrase Power Steering Pump.

Shouldn't this be covered? Am I being unreasonable?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Tell them the power steering has failed now

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Tell them that you have no problem with them replacing the ABC bit in isolation from the steering reservoir but if not......well.....

Mic

madspoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003
Warranty covered it

Just an FYI in case anyone has this issue in the future. They covered it after much arguing and toing and froing.

madspoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003
Covered!

Just an FYI in case anyone has this issue in the future. They covered it after much arguing and toing and froing.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom