Old tools.

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
I thought that about the thermostat when I changed one last week.

And you used to be able to change the drum bearing in a washer but now the outer tub is a welded plastic assembly which you're supposed to buy complete for 20 less than a new machine

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I bought SWMBO a food processor - a Moulinex 520 around 1968/9 (back when they were the "new" idea). It still works perfectly and gets used, quite often. Never had to even replace any of the cutting disks. It lives on a low shelf in the kitchen covered by a surplus transparent printer cover which keeps steam-borne muck off it. I remember it was "half price" in a sale at Debenhams for £38 which was nevertheless quite a lot at the time.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Another old B&D drill here. Old orange one that has to be 40 years plus old.

Snap, mine was my Dads, I inherited it on his passing 35 years ago. He must have had it for at least ten years, it came as part of a comprehensive kit with a hedge trimer attachment and other stuff too.

I've had to reattach the power lead once and I've also replaced it a couple of times but it still works great, in fact I was using it just the other night. I think it's still on it's original set of brushes!

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
IMG_20200420_125547730.jpg

My late Dads old 9" grinder. prob dating back to early 80,s. This grinder has done a massive amount of work over the years, only ever requiring a replacement lead. Its an Hitachi from memory although I cant be sure. I dont use it much just now and again when I need two grinders to save swapping discs all the time

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
View attachment 57710

My late Dads old 9" grinder. prob dating back to early 80,s. This grinder has done a massive amount of work over the years, only ever requiring a replacement lead. Its an Hitachi from memory although I cant be sure. I dont use it much just now and again when I need two grinders to save swapping discs all the time

By comparison the Bosch one I have had for less than a fortnight has packed up, I have a return label for the thing.

So I borrowed a newish Makita one off a friend and yep the switch has given up the ghost.

At this rate I will be passing down some pictures of what I had to my youth.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Old tools were simply built to last and come from an era when manufacturers wanted a reputation of quality reliable products. Times have moved on and capitalism and consumerism takes over where manufacturers build items with a limited life so the consumer has to go back and empty his wallet into the system again. This is compounded by the fact nowadays many ppl are simply cluless at reparing things and more often than not an entire device will fail for the want of a tiny component (ie bushes above). Me I am a stickler and if somethings broke to goes to my bench for repair.

Old fridges, washing machines etc they last forever...well in comparison

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Regarding Miele applicances, I think of you intend in living in your house for 20 years and not replacing the kitchen then Miele is the way forward. They are the MB of the golden era

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
This is compounded by the fact nowadays many ppl are simply cluless at reparing things and more often than not an entire device will fail for the want of a tiny component (ie bushes above). ....

.... things often don't get repaired these days cos things are designed not to be opened up without breaking them. Try getting inside a led brake light to replace a single failed led ;)

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
By comparison the Bosch one I have had for less than a fortnight has packed up, I have a return label for the thing.

So I borrowed a newish Makita one off a friend and yep the switch has given up the ghost.

At this rate I will be passing down some pictures of what I had to my youth.

I’m surprised to hear that- the guys who fitted our double glazing all had Makitas - I don’t know the model number- but the were £expensive ( way over £100 ten years ago) and they did everything with them i. e. drilling/screwdriving and I looked one with a view towards my next.Xmas present (which I never got).

But fast forward until 2 years ago and I bought a Bosch 18v hammer:drill/driver complete with 2 NIMH batteries. Must say it’s excellent and I would buy again. BUT that’s based on a few DIY jobs and I do treat my tools with respect
eg. I don’t use my drill as a hammer because I’m too lazy to open my tool box (yes. I really saw that!)!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’m surprised to hear that- the guys who fitted our double glazing all had Makitas - I don’t know the model number- but the were £expensive ( way over £100 ten years ago) and they did everything with them i. e. drilling/screwdriving and I looked one with a view towards my next.Xmas present (which I never got).

But fast forward until 2 years ago and I bought a Bosch 18v hammer:drill/driver complete with 2 NIMH batteries. Must say it’s excellent and I would buy again. BUT that’s based on a few DIY jobs and I do treat my tools with respect
eg. I don’t use my drill as a hammer because I’m too lazy to open my tool box (yes. I really saw that!)!
There's still a world of difference between the professional tools costing £££ and the DIY equivalent. Makita and Bosh Pro are both very good

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Metabo is my first choice these days, solid tools, metal gearboxes and availability of spare batteries if/when needed. Started with 18v combi, later added 10.8v combi (which does almost all I need so 18v gets little use!) and also have 18v multi-tool and 10.8v sabre saw.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I chose makita some years back as they were the only one who had what i wanted. now their cordless powertool range is huge..Heated jackets, site radios, coffee machine, rebar cutter, chain saw etc.
Cheap spares availabilty is great (amazon, ebay). Brushless motors is a more recent innovation for a modern tool which feels vastly superior to brushed, especially in terms of power.
If dewalt, metabo,bosch, milwakee, hitachi or others had what i wanted then i might have gone with them.
I did use my bosch pro mains powered jigsaw the other day... hideous. Not even close to the cutting quality of a 18v makita.
The vibration made the base move around far to much making cutting a perfect line difficult. Not something i never noticed until i used a tool that runs much smoother. My makita electric cordless planer wipes the floor with my old but very expensive mains powered kress.
There are limitaions due to battery life but with multiple batterys it can be overcome..
I had a go with a parkside (lidls) cordless circular saw.. Very nice..
Old machines like a circular saw or thickneser with cast iron beds are quality bits of kit that will probably go on forever. modern are a little too much pressed steel ,plastic and flimsy?

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
I bought a lot of Hitachi cordless tools which I have got a ton of work out of and then Hitachi went and changed the battery design:mad: as another money spinner

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I have a man that has a boot full of parkside tools they do the job and thieves don't want them.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I bought a lot of Hitachi cordless tools which I have got a ton of work out of and then Hitachi went and changed the battery design:mad: as another money spinner
Yep - cordless power tool maker's favourite trick....

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
For circular and slide mitre saws have a look at Evolution Rage - I bought the 8" slide mitre saw first (not enough room in my workshop for the 10" unfortunately, but a friend has just acquired one) and have been so impressed with it that when my ancient B&D circular saw bit the dust I bought the Evolution one - and also one for my SIL. For all their sales bumf about the blade that cuts all sorts, I expected to immediately have to change the blade to a fine cut as I mainly work with oak, but did some test cuts and was so happy I have not changed. Then working with some reclaimed wood I found a silver shiny bit - I'd cut through an old nail without even noticing it, and the blade is undamaged!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Agreed - I have one of those Evolution saws too. Great piece of kit. The only thing I don't like is they use a non-standard mounting size so you're tied to their blades.

Top Bottom