Om 651 ???

Pitsmoor Col

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014. W205, C Class C220. Diesel Blutec Automatic Saloon.
I have 64 plate C class 220 diesel automatic, bluetec, 136.820. on the clock, I have been told the the OM651 engine needs Cam Chain changing with this amount of mileage on it. Will my engine be the OM651 ?

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C220 Sport CDI estate
Contemplating getting this done on mine and it’s only just approaching 100k miles. I have an occasional rattle on cold start ups, but very occasional. Problem is I’m getting all paranoid about ticky noises from the engine now, which on a diesel, keeps me busy. Driving myself mad
Chain can be done on the om651 without removing the engine which brings the cost down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
Nine times out of ten it's the chain tensioner that causes problems, chain problems aren't common as long as service schedules are kept to.
Our fleet of OM651 sprinters, have anything between 45,000 miles on the 69 plate vans to 483,000 on the 65 plate ones. We've never had to change a chain on any of the fourteen vans, but we have changed six tensioners, twelve alternator and three starter motors. Ironically all but two alternator were on the 69 plate vans along with all the starters! Go figure..... ****** stop/start!!
Three oil coolers, two EGR units, and to cap it all, seventeen water pumps. They all seem to go around 100,000 miles, even the new type

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Nine times out of ten it's the chain tensioner that causes problems, chain problems aren't common as long as service schedules are kept to.
Our fleet of OM651 sprinters, have anything between 45,000 miles on the 69 plate vans to 483,000 on the 65 plate ones. We've never had to change a chain on any of the fourteen vans, but we have changed six tensioners, twelve alternator and three starter motors. Ironically all but two alternator were on the 69 plate vans along with all the starters! Go figure..... ****** stop/start!!
Three oil coolers, two EGR units, and to cap it all, seventeen water pumps. They all seem to go around 100,000 miles, even the new type
That's very encouraging new's about the OM651 engines. The problem wit forums is that you mainly hear about the problems, and if you were dependant on the forum's ( for anything, not just cars, but washing machine's , vacuum cleaners etc) chances you would never buy anything...but in actual fact, the Nrs of engines and gearbox's etc which actually do have a problem is only a fraction of the total production Nr's ( BMW N47 engine's are the exception... ) so your post is a welcome change !!! For the stop/ start issue, I changed cars last week, from a 2010 E class ( without stop / start ) to a 2014 E class, which has the stop / start, and now i have discovered that it can be switched off by switching the ECO button on the console.... Hallelujah !!! Quick question ( or two ) for you, can the tensioners be replaced in-situ? or is it an engine out procedure? and the cost if you don't mind?
Thanks for your help. :):):)

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's very encouraging new's about the OM651 engines. The problem wit forums is that you mainly hear about the problems, and if you were dependant on the forum's ( for anything, not just cars, but washing machine's , vacuum cleaners etc) chances you would never buy anything...but in actual fact, the Nrs of engines and gearbox's etc which actually do have a problem is only a fraction of the total production Nr's ( BMW N47 engine's are the exception... ) so your post is a welcome change !!! For the stop/ start issue, I changed cars last week, from a 2010 E class ( without stop / start ) to a 2014 E class, which has the stop / start, and now i have discovered that it can be switched off by switching the ECO button on the console.... Hallelujah !!! Quick question ( or two ) for you, can the tensioners be replaced in-situ? or is it an engine out procedure? and the cost if you don't mind?

The tensioner is just a bolt at the back of the engine. Can’t see why the engine would need to be removed to replace it.

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Don't need to take engine out for either chain or tensioner.
Tensioner is tight but can be done, chain with engine in situ is 8.5 hours labour according to Mercedes as a lot of ancillary has to come off including injectors and rocker covers. The chain is split and new one connected and engine turned over by hand to pull new chain thru. However, if the chain is worn then the three sprockets will be worn and it'd be false economy not to change them as well.

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't need to take engine out for either chain or tensioner.
Tensioner is tight but can be done, chain with engine in situ is 8.5 hours labour according to Mercedes as a lot of ancillary has to come off including injectors and rocker covers. The chain is split and new one connected and engine turned over by hand to pull new chain thru. However, if the chain is worn then the three sprockets will be worn and it'd be false economy not to change them as well.

Cam sprockets can be changed with engine in, but the idler sprocket cannot be accessed unless, at minimum, the gearbox is removed, does that sound right?

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok now I’m in a quandary. Does my chain need changing, or just the tensioner? The problem is, to inspect the chain, the rocker cover has to come off, which is a huge job removing all the fuel rail and loom sat on top of it. Would cost half the labour of replacing it, just for someone to tell me it doesn’t need doing..

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cam sprockets can be changed with engine in, but the idler sprocket cannot be accessed unless, at minimum, the gearbox is removed, does that sound right?

To change all cam sprockets it's an engine out job. That's the 8.5 hour job Mercedes quote

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To change all cam sprockets it's an engine out job. That's the 8.5 hour job Mercedes quote

Surely the 2 cam sprockets can be removed without the engine coming out? You can remove the cams if necessary, altho the chain would have to be cut for that to happen.

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Never taken any engine out to do cam sprockets , you simply unbolt the cams!!!

Hi Cole
You guys gave me a quote for timing chain when I had service done just before lockdown. I may be booking it in soon for peace of mind as I’m driving myself mad listening out for rattling

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic

ermmmm how many litres of oil....

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

So having a water pump in stock not a silly idea ref om651

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Listening to all this I'm sure it would be easier just to get another car - preferably with a different type engine..... :D
Problem is RhodiBill, is that they are still trying to produce the perfect car..so it's a question of picking one that has the best track record when it comes to faults..but thats not an absolute guarantee that the one you pick won't have a problem..

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom