OM651 diesel engine

Doggydoggen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E200cdi
how much it costs in England to replace the timing chain at a car dealership?
I'll check what it costs in Sweden, but I'm afraid it's extremely expensive

swifty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Reliant Robin with a Mercedes badge!
Should I replace?

Hi guys,
My OM651 (220cdi) has now done 76000 mls, do you think I should have the timing chain changed as a matter of course just to be on the safe side? I don't think my engine has a rattly chain but all this talk of sudden failure has got me worried. Would anyone have an idea of the cost of replacement please?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Hi guys,
My OM651 (220cdi) has now done 76000 mls, do you think I should have the timing chain changed as a matter of course just to be on the safe side? I don't think my engine has a rattly chain but all this talk of sudden failure has got me worried. Would anyone have an idea of the cost of replacement please?

We haven't had one fail yet even one with a broken cam sprocket, so if you can hear a rattle on stat up, don't worry.

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
We haven't had one fail yet even one with a broken cam sprocket, so if you can hear a rattle on stat up, don't worry.

Similar experience here, haven't had one actually break. You'll get plenty of warning it's getting bad beforehand.

swifty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Reliant Robin with a Mercedes badge!
Thanks for the replies guys, as long as I am forewarned then I feel reasonably safe. I think I can distinguish a timing chain rattle. Most folk say that diesels are noisy when cold and sound better once warmed up but my car seems to be the opposite, it sounds great when cold and a bit "chattery" after a motorway journey. I assume this to be injectors (which were replaced by MB recall) about a year or so back. I know it's like asking "how long is a piece of string? but is this rattle more likely to timing chain or injectors please?

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Yes, the same rattle on start up.

Agreed. We have seen a few of these actually fail, although not with a snapped chain, but jumped and bent valves. Twice we have seen them jump while cranking, and once where a mechanic in the neighbouring village was replacing the drivebelt and turned the engine backwards, via a spanner on the crank pulley bolt to aid the belt fitting. He heard a "click" but thought nothing of it. He then cranked the engine over with the key and bent the valves. Oh dear!

Last edited:

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Agreed. We have seen a few of these actually fail, although not with a snapped chain, but jumped and bent valves. Twice we have seen them jump while cranking, and once where a mechanic in the neighbouring village was replacing the drivebelt and turned the engine backwards, via a spanner on the crank pulley bolt to aid the belt fitting. He heard a "click" but thought nothing of it. He then cranked the engine over with the key and bent the valves. Oh dear!

That brings back memories ..in the late 1970s I was adjusting the points on my girlfriends Hillman Avenger 1500 and rocked the car backwards and the same happened to me but luckily it only jumped one tooth causing it to run rough.
Since then I never rocked any engine backwards, as you effectively go against the tensioner if the chain/sprockets are worn.;)

Alfie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SPRINTER 316 4X4
0035de295d478bcb235e29f44a7aa9cb.jpg

This is one I recently done that had broken the guide and taken 12 valves with it

Last edited:

hod05

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 250 cabriolet, 190E 2.0L

Hi I've posted here before about a year ago I had the tensioner fail and had the rattle on startup happend in my last month of used approved warranty so was fixed by dealer apparently with updated unit.

They also state on invoice that they checked the chain and was ok but iv done 20,000 miles since and am considering changing the sprockets, chain and tensioner now as im approaching 90k how much would it cost roughly by indie to do this? Is £1500 a good estimate?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
educate pedestrians to LOOK for cars before crossing roads etc and that the PAVEMENT is for pedestrians, the roads are for CARS

after all, i dont see many 'pedestrian friendly' shaped buses, HGV's etc

damn right there sir.

Robuk22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c-class coupe 2012 1800 t
Quote That's the strange thing, I have done timing chains and water pumps on this engine as low as 80,000 miles. Some have been that loud on start up after an oil change that I had feared it would snap. And yet some do much larger miles and have no problems at all. I have wondered if the stop/start system increases wear on the chain. Quote

OLD TREAD I know, but that is my exact thought, 600,000 starts against 60,000. I disconnected the stop start function immediately I purchased my 2012 M271 engined C-Class. Unplug the sensor attached to the negative clamp on the starter battery, no lights on dash, stop/start stays yellow (off), you loose brake hold, other than that car drives as normal.

Robuk22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c-class coupe 2012 1800 t
To add to post above, I believe the chains in the M271 engine don`t break they elongate with wear on the links, the tensioner is then taken to it`s maximum limit and cannot tighten chain, the slack chain rides up the timing gear teeth and wears them down then jumps those worn teeth especially at startup, looses timing then Bingo, bent valves, new tensioner, new actuators, new chain if you are lucky. Don`t leave it, if it rattles at startup get it checked out, £100 or so for inspection is better than £2-3,000 for repair or a trashed car if the engine is not repairable. More repairers are questioning the stop/start system in relation to these earlier timing chain/gear failures.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Seems Mercedes have not resolved their recent M271 timing chain issues with the new oM651 engine.

ca90006e9753d7f7b4c602f486499053_zpse0346835.jpg

This is with the tensioner still in. Note the pile of chain on the right side of the picture.

we need to get american about this and related issues. this is a not fit for purpose issue ,as is Plasticine timing gears. right now some legal P in benz has calculated that its cheaper to fight/argue individual cases than to implement a fix.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Well conversed with timing chain rattle on start-up going back a few years my Triumph Dolomite Sprint needed a new duplex chain every 20k miles when it need changing it sounded like the household cavalry coming down the road first thing in the morning oil starvation was the problem in this case.

if it rattles on start-up better to sort it sooner than later as most engines bend valves nowadays if the chain goes, replacement of tensioner, chain and sprockets are the best solution if you intend keeping the car long term

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom