OM651 Timing Chain?

Arnison XXVI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2010 E250 CDI
Hi people new to the forum, let me know if I've posted on the wrong place, I'm 21 and just bought a W212 E250 CDI, I remember I was 10 and my dad bought one out the showroom and I lusted after one since that day.

I read before buying about the timing chains, but can't find any answers as to how to tell how long one has left, so basically my cars on 145k miles, runs flawless with no lights, HOWEVER, I have noticed when it's colder temperature outside and hasn't been started for a few days I do hear the little rattle for 2 seconds and then it goes, not to be heard again, even if I start the car 10 times the same day there's no noise, it's literally only when it's been days without driving, would this indicate I have a bit of time left seeing as it's not constant? I do not mind paying for the chain as this is my baby for a long long time but don't want to do it if it's got say 30,000 miles left

OP
Arnison XXVI

Arnison XXVI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2010 E250 CDI
I would aim to have a tensioner fitted before too long, to be safe.
So there is a chance it's only the tensioner? They really confuse me these engines as it seems everyone says the chains are a disaster then there's another load of people who say bulletproof engines 300,000 miles no problem without replacing (taxis etc)

Jasons76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 cdi AMG sport estate
i wouldn't worry too much if you are leaving the vehicle 2 or 3 days all the oil will have drained back into the sump so if you are only getting a little rattle for a couple of seconds i would say its fine,have a look on you tube at om651 timing chain noise and see if it compares to your noise.

OP
Arnison XXVI

Arnison XXVI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2010 E250 CDI
i wouldn't worry too much if you are leaving the vehicle 2 or 3 days all the oil will have drained back into the sump so if you are only getting a little rattle for a couple of seconds i would say its fine,have a look on you tube at om651 timing chain noise and see if it compares to your noise.
It is similar to a few of them on start up but like you said and I said, it's only on cold starts I'm not sure if the YouTube guys who've posted is every single time they start

Jasons76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 cdi AMG sport estate
It is similar to a few of them on start up but like you said and I said, it's only on cold starts I'm not sure if the YouTube guys who've posted is every single time they start
like M80 said maybe try a tensioner its the cheapest option for now especially if its only just started doing it,the tensioner relies on oil pressure to work which is why the noise is generally on first cold start but as you are leaving your vehicle 2 or 3 days then it is probably taking those couple of seconds to build up oil pressure plus you also have the hydraulic tappets which will also be noisy first thing.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
A million miles from bullet proof. There are far too many Gremlins hoping to nibble your gonads,
I consider it to be a chocolate engine with all its plastic bits.

Powerful, quiet and smooth but designed to be a revenue generator when the Gremlins nibble.

Increasingly mo mo's are enticing us with the pretty while not offering the reliability we had generally become used to.

Ya pays ya money and ya gotta be ready to pay ya money again, and again. Or buy older.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
In my experience with two cars with that engine, it is reliable.
Apart from service items all I have replaced is the water pump on one, a exhaust temp sensor and two wheel speed sensors on the other.
Engine oil changes using the correct spec quality oil and filters and transmission fluid changes are critical.
I would suggest that they should be done early as the MB schedule is too long.

They're good cars and, in particular, the E Class is a nice drive.
If yours has been looked after previously you should be fine.
Good luck with it.

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
Did I read that a modified/superseded replacement tensioner is designed to improve the retention of oil whisky engine off, so this is less likely to cause slack chain issues?

OP
Arnison XXVI

Arnison XXVI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2010 E250 CDI
Thanks for the replies so far guys, I'm getting a price for the chain as we speak because if I'm keeping it then why not, but also baring in mind it might not even be the chain as said above, just gunna keep my eye on it, sometimes I think it sounds rattley at idle but then these 2.1's sound terrible idling anyway so it's almost impossible to tell hahahahaha

hod05

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 250 cabriolet, 190E 2.0L
21 with a E250 I bet your insurance must be crazy? I remember all the nice, cool cars I wanted at 21 but couldn't afford because they'd cost me twice the value to insure.

Replace the tensioner first but if the chain needs doing its about 900 quid at an indy which to be honest isn't really the horror story some people make it out to be. I pad about 400 quid for a timing belt on a VW TRANSPORTER van. I did my chain at 100k miles it had a slight noise for 1 to 2 sec but nothing like some of the YouTube videos

OP
Arnison XXVI

Arnison XXVI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2010 E250 CDI
21 with a E250 I bet your insurance must be crazy? I remember all the nice, cool cars I wanted at 21 but couldn't afford because they'd cost me twice the value to insure.

Replace the tensioner first but if the chain needs doing its about 900 quid at an indy which to be honest isn't really the horror story some people make it out to be. I pad about 400 quid for a timing belt on a VW TRANSPORTER van. I did my chain at 100k miles it had a slight noise for 1 to 2 sec but nothing like some of the YouTube videos
Not too bad mate it's very strange these days insurance, it's almost like the more the car doesn't suit your age the better, I had a BMW 116i at 17 and that was £2700 insurance, but for an E-Class back then (which I couldn't afford) the insurance was only £1400, it's strange, I think safety plays a role and also you're less likely to wreck a nice car as you'll probably be driving it more carefully, I payed £900 this year near Liverpool area so not even cheap area for insurance so I was happy with that

OP
Arnison XXVI

Arnison XXVI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2010 E250 CDI
Gents I have a video of the noise on start up but unsure how to upload?

OP
Arnison XXVI

Arnison XXVI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2010 E250 CDI

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom