OM656 Failed Vacuum/Oil Pump and loss of braking.

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
I thought i had better write up my current situation with my 2020 E400d. (December 2019 build date)

Bought the car in June, 1 year old.
Apart from the boot lid opening itself once in a while and a very occasional issue with the gear stalk not selecting properly (and the 20" wheels getting damaged too easily but that's another story) its been good.

However, mid-November, the car went into limp mode shortly before J15 on the M1 - engine sounded 'wrong' and, a minute or so later as i was getting off the junction, (this stretch is, still, being converted into a "smart" lol motorway, so absolutely no places to stop on the motorway itself) i lost servo assisted brakes quite suddenly, the engine then bogged down to a stall as i stopped at the traffic lights.

MB couldn't arrange recovery for SIX hours, so i was directed, as the car was still 'running', (it did restart after a while cranking) to drive the 7 or so miles home carefully . And believe me it was careful with effectively no brakes.

Car was inspected and recovered in the morning to Mercedes Northampton - after a few days and challenge to get a suitable courtesy car, the dealer called to inform me that the tandem oil and vacuum pump had failed. This at a minimum requires engine out to replace, along with all the associated vacuum components. I was aware of a few instances of this problem in Germany from german forum reports - but with the car under warranty i was less concerned.

No repair took place for the rest of November I kept being told this is due to lack of parts availability and employee sickness (believable) however, i also discussed with them that i expected the engine to be checked for mechanical damage caused by any potential loss of oil pressure.

Two months later the car is still sat in the same parking space behind the dealer, no work having been yet undertaken. Still being told that parts/labour are not available. I was told that i was 'lucky' the car is in warranty as this is 'going to cost at least £12k to fix'.
I do have an E220d estate though now as a courtesy car which is sufficient for the time being.

My issues are:
The loss of braking was certainly dangerous with an otherwise 'running' car, with the nature of the failure i experienced this could have been much more dangerous.
Two months in and no work has been started on the car. Has the dealer identified, i wonder, that the engine is also damaged and they are not telling me, hence the lack of correspondence and fact that the car hasn't moved in weeks? (It is visible from the access road to the retail park)

Can i reasonably expect to claim any compensation from MBUK? I'm paying Tax, finance and Insurance etc. on a car i have no use of.

How many other vehicles are affected by this pump issue? I note that another forum member 'Anko' is in the same situation, but just out of warranty and with a near £6k bill.

I have now reported this experience to VOSA as this absolutely is a safety recall trigger.

Thoughts welcome.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Can i reasonably expect to claim any compensation from MBUK? I'm paying Tax, finance and Insurance etc. on a car i have no use of.
I doubt it as you have a vehicle supplied in its place. This effectively means your own vehicle is not depreciating via mileage so you're technically no worse off though you don't have the enjoyment of your vehicle.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
From my experience I doubt it as well as the dealer says they will fix it and you also have to give them the opportunity to fix it. The pandemic is causing chaos with supply chains but I thought they should be able to get parts within a few weeks at least.

Secondly they have provided another E class as a courtesy vehicle so you can’t grumble at that as its the same size as your current car.

Sometimes any further damage may not show itself straight way and I’d probably consider selling it if you own it outright and getting something else, after the repairs have been made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
moj91

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
Asking for any compensation element aside, at what point do i start to put pressure on them? They have had the car two months now, no work has started yet.

I'd hoped to keep this car through until electric cars and their infrastructure re well established, i am of course now worried about any hidden damage.

Manc Rick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220 Premium +, 2017 with OM654.
I gather from the forums that circa 12k is the back park for this type of repair, but I wonder to myself why? What is it that racks up the bill so high? Surely that sort of price is new engine territory?

OP
moj91

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I gather from the forums that circa 12k is the back park for this type of repair, but I wonder to myself why? What is it that racks up the bill so high? Surely that sort of price is new engine territory?
I honestly don't know. I'm assuming new engine? Unless they are just trying to throw around high figures to get us all used to high repair cost expectations/make me feel like they are doing me a favour.

I've asked for a breakdown/quote of the work required from diagnosis, in writing, they have so far ignored me.

OP
moj91

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update: - i have reported the brake failure element of my incident to VOSA, they have quickly come back to me and i have offered them a detailed account of my experience. They have also assigned an engineer to my 'case' and told me that it appears to be under the same circumstances as a number of other reports they have had, and rising. They tell me they are in discussion with Mercedes UK due to the safety criticality element. Fingers crossed for a full recall, which may assist others from a financial standpoint if they are not successful with a goodwill claim outside of warranty.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good news that someone is looking into it but seriously manufactures needs to be torn a royal new one every time they shove something poorly designed out the door.

Jonathon Heap

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E400D All Terrain
I have the same issue, tandem pump failure. I lost power and the box became erratic, no more than 3000rpm, no paddle shift use, low mpg . Car in at Mercedes at the moment waiting for parts. I agree its a safety critical issue, although my braking was not affected. Luckily like the OP my car is just under warranty and the figure estimated for the repair is £4500. I will be selling the car on as soon as it is returned. Mercedes assist diagnosed a faulty exhaust flap, which he thought could be the issue, this alone is £3500 and from what I can find , may not be covered by the warranty.

Reactions: DSK

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have the same issue, tandem pump failure. I lost power and the box became erratic, no more than 3000rpm, no paddle shift use, low mpg . Car in at Mercedes at the moment waiting for parts. I agree its a safety critical issue, although my braking was not affected. Luckily like the OP my car is just under warranty and the figure estimated for the repair is £4500. I will be selling the car on as soon as it is returned. Mercedes assist diagnosed a faulty exhaust flap, which he thought could be the issue, this alone is £3500 and from what I can find , may not be covered by the warranty.

Good for you, I think it’s the only sensible option! hopefully used prices are still keen so you should get a decent price for it and use the work done to make it sound sweeter. Hope this and the whatever you get next works out well.

OP
moj91

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why would the exhaust flap not be covered by the warranty? Do you know?

Jonathon Heap

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E400D All Terrain
I ordered a new 300d AMG Marco Polo in December last year and the All Terrain was going in p/x. However I might put another 12 months warranty on the car and move it on privately with this as an added bonus. I have really loved the All Terrain, it is my 7 th E class and 10th Mercedes not inc the MP. Its taken me 25 years of careful buying and saving to get up to the All Terrain, and now the MP, so hoping that the Mercedes experience will continue to be satisfactory. :rolleyes:

OP
moj91

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I ordered a new 300d AMG Marco Polo in December last year and the All Terrain was going in p/x. However I might put another 12 months warranty on the car and move it on privately with this as an added bonus. I have really loved the All Terrain, it is my 7 th E class and 10th Mercedes not inc the MP. Its taken me 25 years of careful buying and saving to get up to the All Terrain, and now the MP, so hoping that the Mercedes experience will continue to be satisfactory. :rolleyes:
Fingers crossed for you - unfortunately my family mercedes experience is being more and more tainted as each month passes. We've had at least one mercedes in the family continually for near on a century, going back to great grandparents.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Report the pump failure to VOSA. Enough reports and they'll force MB to issue a recall.

Jonathon Heap

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E400D All Terrain
Conflicting reports I guess , it might well be and indeed should be as it certainly affects how the engine performs.
Report the pump failure to VOSA. Enough reports and they'll force MB to issue a recall.
Yep, will do. Do you have a contact at Vosa looking at this or just a dept.

barian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 E220d
Conflicting reports I guess , it might well be and indeed should be as it certainly affects how the engine performs.

Yep, will do. Do you have a contact at Vosa looking at this or just a dept.

Jonathon Heap

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E400D All Terrain

OP
moj91

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes have called today to say my car has been repaired. So lets see what it's like when it is returned!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom