Original condition?

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
What is meant by the wording "in good original condition" in an advert to sell a car?

I've seen it a few times and often wondered if it means it's in a fair condition but with all the original parts (ie no wings or other panels replaced), or that it's had parts replaced to look like original. :confused:

Maybe it just means that nothing has been done and it's going to fall to bits. :lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Normally relates to the body, and means no bodywork done

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
I think what they mean is that it has not been modified (internally, externally or engine)

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
so, in reality it means nothing at all, just words to lull you into a false sense of security

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Well you will tend to find, some people(me) try changing/Modifiying things like changing wheels, lowering the car etc etc etc to make it looks better but our choice may not be to everyone's taste.

Hence, people with original cars tend to advertise the fact that it hasnt been fiddled with.

Top Cat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(97) W202 C230 Elegance Estate
It's like sellers who use that other description - 'mint' - which quite often means "If I use this magic word you will somehow fail to notice just how bad the car actually is"

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
I take it as Amo says to mean unmodified...............after all who would want the original oil filter? A vehicle check doesnt reveal bodywork repairs only if the car has been written off. A vehicle could have two new front wings plus a boot etc over a period of time and you will be none the wiser....unless your eye can spot it. Doesn't make it non-original............................mint is like chewing gum......urgh!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I take it as Amo says to mean unmodified...............after all who would want the original oil filter? A vehicle check doesnt reveal bodywork repairs only if the car has been written off. A vehicle could have two new front wings plus a boot etc over a period of time and you will be none the wiser....unless your eye can spot it. Doesn't make it non-original............................mint is like chewing gum......urgh!!

I like the original oil filter bit :D:D isnt it a silly word, when you really think about it

gre1591

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Auto (1995)
I am sick of going hundreds of miles to look at cars that are described as “original condition” “mint condition” “immaculate condition” and “first to see will buy” only to be disappointed by a very average example. Worse still for some reason a photo such as may be found in eBay or Auto Trader etc or for that matter any photo from about three yards away seems to enhance a vehicles condition dramatically. I have been to see some right wrecks that looked good on the photo. So many now I know the photo means nothing other than to show you the general shape and colour of the car you are going to look at. God knows how some people go on buying unseen at auction ,a recipe for disaster I recon. It certainly is a case of buyer beware!

Last edited:

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
i agree, my 107 SL looked great from a few metres away - only started to notice the rust etc close up.

all sorted now of course :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom