Original finish on R230 AMG wheels?

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
I am about to have my wheels refurbished to original colour finish. They are the plain five spoke AMG option. I went to two different companies and both said that the wheels should have the outer edge to the groove diamond cut. I queried it because I've never seen any like that. Has anyone else?. I thought it should be like this one in the picture, advertised as original. While I think a turned edge might look ok it would drive me mad if it wasn't original. I had two quotes £290 and £420. I am going with the higher one after seeing his work.
Has anyone any thoughts on it please.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 25

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I have not seen that style wheel diamond cut.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Silver all over. Per http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mercedes_alloy_wheels/sl_class_r230_alloys/18_amg_iii_wheel_117
18_amg_iii_wheel_117

OP
noonboots

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's just as I thought. Thanks for the replies.

hannay

Reaction score
The unitary finish on those is part of the design as well as the style. Diamond cutting the outer rim section? Please don't :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I am about to have my wheels refurbished to original colour finish. They are the plain five spoke AMG option. I went to two different companies and both said that the wheels should have the outer edge to the groove diamond cut. I queried it because I've never seen any like that. Has anyone else?. I thought it should be like this one in the picture, advertised as original. While I think a turned edge might look ok it would drive me mad if it wasn't original. I had two quotes £290 and £420. I am going with the higher one after seeing his work.
Has anyone any thoughts on it please.
I don't know where you are but I had mine done in Beccles in Suffolk and the cost was £250.00 ! :)

OP
noonboots

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't know where you are but I had mine done in Beccles in Suffolk and the cost was £250.00 ! :)
I'm in Coventry. The guy that quoted me £290 wouldn't let me look into his workshop and didn't have any finished wheels I could view. The second guy couldn't be more helpful. He aims to make the wheels look as good as new. Having seen the cars he had in there and the quality of his work I'm quite happy to pay the higher price for a drive in drive out service. I just found it odd that they both said the same thing about diamond turning the edges. It's obviously not right.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I'm in Coventry. The guy that quoted me £290 wouldn't let me look into his workshop and didn't have any finished wheels I could view. The second guy couldn't be more helpful. He aims to make the wheels look as good as new. Having seen the cars he had in there and the quality of his work I'm quite happy to pay the higher price for a drive in drive out service. I just found it odd that they both said the same thing about diamond turning the edges. It's obviously not right.
The people who re-furbed my wheels came as a recommendation from a well regarded local bodyshop. No good to you at all of course :rolleyes:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom