Ouch! My seats. My back.

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
I have seats that look like these in my CLK.

CLK-class_CLK350_coupe_interior.jpg

And after 2 days of driving around in it I think they are aggravating my back problem.

What I need are fatter / softer seats without the side bolsters. Do any W209s come without these seats or would I have to look at an e class or (whisper in hushed tones) another marque.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
You should try a long run in my S class the seats are unbelievably uncomfortable..those seats look quite inviting , wanna swop

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Before accusing the seats make sure you have them adjusted properly.

Adjust the base squab so your thighs are fully supported, both in angle and height. Adjust the back so you sit upright. This doesn't mean bolt upright but so you sit naturally, this may mean the back is tilted rearward quite a bit, so you relax and don't slump forward or your back leaves the seat.
Ensure your arms fall naturally to the steering wheel, elbows bent, not needing to hold them up from the shoulder.

My Sport seats are the most comfortable I have ever experienced in a car. Initially they felt very firm but after experimenting with the adjustments I can and do drive for many hours without any discomfort and I have a chronic back condition!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Those seats look the same as mine, different covering though.
I have back problems also but find these seats better than other cars I've had.
Maybe adjustment is all you need as described by whitenemesis.

Russ

P

PanzerMcGrory

i like the bit in BMWs that extends from the seat to support the whole of the underside of your legs.

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently Capri 280, 2 Litre S and 3 Litre Ghia
White Nemesis is right plus you need to check/adjust your whole driving position.

You should not stretch to operate the pedals fully.
The steering should be the right distance/angle for you.

For me, with back problems, long legs and short arms (55th and 40th percentile for the ergonomists amongst us - 50th are average proportions) find most cars poor on the cabin front. At least modern cars now have adjustable steering columns.

Capri - suits me perfect with Mk 2 GL/Ghia/Recaro seats - Drove a Capri laser for 30 miles and I was like an old man walking with my back. Same with my Mk 1 3 litre until I upgraded the seats.
Sierra/Cavalier/Fiesta/Maestro - poor seats.
Renault - way too soft.
The Mercedes I have driven have been perfect for me - although with what/who you know mean that SL purchase can wait (A cheap legal Capri for peanuts has arisen = more saved to get what I want rather than rushing into it).
Job 1 is to remove the interior and implant Recaros from my Cat B write-off in their place.

Diggers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am surprised at the difference in the seats across the MB range,,you really have to know the model before commenting.

The one thing that I hate in any seat is one where the top of the back forces you to bend forwards,,and that can be a car or armchair in the house, Its a very difficult subject as we all come in different heights and weights, some like to sit in a seat,others on a seat.

My SL Comfort seats are as good as my V70R seat, but the standard seats in a SL I would not have

psmart

Reaction score
Same problem for myself.

The ML270 (W163) had unbelievably comfortable seats for my physique could drive Ijmuiden to Salzburg non stop and get out without aches or pains.

The C220 is a little uncomfortable, but correctly adjusted, its bearable for 300 mile journeys with only minor discomfort.

The ML500 is terrible though, air seats, every possibility to adjust lumbar, support etc, but the first car I get back ache in, never had it before. The seats, or more the leather is just too firm. The only position that seems to be acceptable is bolt upright and the seats squashing you in like a recaro.

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
I've had a few back problems over the years.

One problem with the CLK is that the seats sit "low" - in my experience higher sitting seats tend to be best for backs.

Your elegance seats look to be the same as my AG ones which I find comfortable after a lot of fiddling about.

Have to agree though that after a long journey I tend to get backache.

Problem is everyone has different body size, back/leg ratio etc so it's always an individual thing and it's only possible to give general advice.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
One problem with the CLK is that the seats sit "low" - in my experience higher sitting seats tend to be best for backs.

Good point, I knew someone who had to sell their MX-5 as the low seating position was not good for their back. Just getting in & out of a car with low seats is bad enough.

Russ

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good point about sitting low,,on my 5 hour non stop journey home with the SL when I first bought it, I tried to get out and I did, but my legs had no strength, and I had to stand by the car for a minute to be able to walk,,I do drive now with them as high as possible and it is mush easier, as my ex said "why do I buy cars where you are sitting in the road"

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As the population ages cars with higher sits will become more and more popular.

Sadly low seats are the price we pay for excellent cornering and suspension.

OP
Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
As the population ages cars with higher sits will become more and more popular.

Sadly low seats are the price we pay for excellent cornering and suspension.

I may have to forego that then.

Looks like a week or so of buggering about with the settings & I hop eit works.

The last car I had before the CLK was much more comfortable - A V70! Do I want to go back there?

ricky s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as signature
I have always maintained you dont sit in mercedes seats you sit on them, can be very hard ride, my own car is very comfortable, my wifes cars, old C200 202 model and current SLK r171, both very uncomfortable, especially the SLK, quite frankly a big mistake purchasing it in my eyes, but she loves it!

woodley_bob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E220 Bluetec estate (2016)
Was up visiting MB world earlier in the summer and had a chance to sit in most of the models in the current MB range, and was surprised how much the seats varied between models.
C/CLK/CLC - low seat position, not much cushioning but good adjustment still
E/CLS - less hard, wider and more adjustment and you can sit higher up
S/CL - really very comfy indeed, adjust in every possible way but not much lateral support

I have recently got a W211 E class which I find very comfortable, but only if set up correctly (despite the offset pedals). The half manual, half electric adjustment is a real pain to fine tune but worth persisting with. The Sport models (on E class certainly, not sure about other models) have narrower, harder seats with big side bolsters which don't suit everybody (my father recently sold his because he couldn't get comfortable, but he's 18st).

Not sure how much scope you have to change seats in an existing car, but happy fine tuning.

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I sat in a new C class 320 Sport recently.

I always sit for at least 10 mins because if the seats are uncomfortable no point in buying the car.

They were terrible - not wide enough so the squab "wings" dug into my a*** and the back wings dug into my back. No way I could ever buy this car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did not like the seats at all when I tried one last week, too hard and sitting on them

OP
Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
Half time report.

Raising the seat and bringing the steering wheel closer has alleviated the pain in my shoulder but has started putting pressure on one of the sore points on my back (one of the vertebrae) - seems the seats are too hard. :-(

I'm going to have to find a car with squidgier seats. Do e classes or s classes have seats as soft as say a BMW e38 7 series?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you can get the comfort blow up seats , then you have 3 separate area's that can be inflated very nice,,and I will never buy another MB with out them

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom