PADDLE SHIFT ACTIVATION WITHOUT THE SELECT SWITCH - SL55 AMG R230 (2003)

Dale Minton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG & BMW ALPINA B5 & ABARTH 595 Turismo
Hi all,
As some of you may well know the steering wheel gearshift paddles on an SL55 (2003 model) will only operate once the 'manual mode' is selected via the 3-way switch situated on the centre consul. I have other vehicles (a BMW Alpina B5 and Abarth 595) where the steering wheel buttons/paddles can be used at any time and once you've finished using manual mode the gearboxes simply default back into auto mode. Does anyone know of a way to modify the paddle-shift mechanism (electronically or otherwise) so one doesn't have to switch it into manual mode via the switch before one can get use of the paddles? I find the gear mode selection switch a real ballache as there are many times for convenience and/or driving situation when I just want to change gear quickly via the paddles without having to fumble first with that mode switch. I know one can knock the gearstick laterally as opposed to using the paddles (without mucking around with the switch) but there are driving situations when I want use of the paddles quickly with both hands on the wheel.
Many thanks
Dale

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
Does seem to be a bit of a pita, does that.
Perhaps there is a software update and suspect that some on here could sort it.
My 2005 paddles will work in any of the modes as does the tiptronic. Hope you find a solution

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Dale Minton

Dale Minton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks W, I'm sure there's a solution, beats me why they didn't design it like that in the first place - progress I suppose.
As mentioned the tiptronic overrides fine and as it should, but the switching for the paddles is as you say "a bit of a pita" :-(
All other imput will be much appreciated ...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Can't see why it shouldn't be possible with a bit of electronic know how for someone clever.

OP
Dale Minton

Dale Minton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would that somebody please step forward ( Mr Malcolm Televison? ) :geek:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Does seem to be a bit of a pita, does that.
Perhaps there is a software update and suspect that some on here could sort it.
My 2005 paddles will work in any of the modes as does the tiptronic. Hope you find a solution

2004 paddles override any mode as well.
I too would suspect a star coding session would gget these working as they should.

Would that somebody please step forward ( Mr Malcolm Televison? ) :geek:

Malc won't be stepping anywhere. He passed away in 2016:(

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Yes in my 2004 SL55 AMG, the paddles work fine in S,C and M. Strange this does not happen in the OPs car, is there a fault with it ?

Dale, Malcolm sadly passed away a couple of years ago.

OP
Dale Minton

Dale Minton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Guys, and I'm really sorry to hear about Malcolm, he was a great guy and contributor. I must admit to be taken aback that he passed in 2016 as I was sure that I'd posted things on here since then about my 55 and got responses from him -and I bought the 55 in 2016 - oh well, I'll miss him like plenty of others do no doubt - God bless his little cotton socks.

What you say Mark and W above surprised me as even the cars instruction book states that you have to select the manual program via the switch to use the steering wheels paddles, maybe they changed this for the programming for 2004 and beyond models. It's good new however that the slightly later 55's work in this way as that is what I'm looking for and so it must be possible. I'll look into it and keep you posted.
Have a good Sunday ;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Thanks Guys, and I'm really sorry to hear about Malcolm, he was a great guy and contributor. I must admit to be taken aback that he passed in 2016 as I was sure that I'd posted things on here since then about my 55 and got responses from him -and I bought the 55 in 2016 - oh well, I'll miss him like plenty of others do no doubt - God bless his little cotton socks.
You may well have had discussions as he passed away Aug 11th 2017.

OP
Dale Minton

Dale Minton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I’m sure mine works in c and s.

OP
Dale Minton

Dale Minton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From the instruction manual, it would seem that you may have a Sequentronic gearbox with a transmission mode switch button (on the centre consul) that states only C/S. Also, it seems with this box that if you push the gear lever to the left it will stay in that (left hand) position and you use the stick to change gears up or down the box by either pushing it forward or backwards. The SL55 is different, it has a centre consul switch that is 3-way, C/S or Manual. The steering wheel paddles do not work unless manual is selected via the switch. Also, to change gear manually on the 55 with the stick (which you can do at 'any' time) one simply knocks the stick to the left (to down-change) or to the right (to up-change) the stick does not have forward or rear movement. Maybe the later SL55's have this box and the paddles are always 'live' but all the other R230's I have ever seen they have the 3-way selector button not just a C/S switch. If Mark's paddle shifts works no matter what mode the 3-way switch is in then that's great and maybe I can get mine to work that way also, however that isn't the way the instruction manual explains things should work (hence my original query) and mine works like the instructions say.

Last edited:

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
My 2005, E55k has the c/m/s button in the centre consul. The paddles work in any mode, the tiptronic, push gear lever to the left or right also works in c and s. Funnily enough don’t think I have ever tried it when in manual ?. but shall next time I’m out.

OP
Dale Minton

Dale Minton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi W, I wish mine did as yours. My paddles do nothing unless the mode switch is in Manual. Like yours however the left/right gear lever works the box instantly in all modes.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
From the instruction manual, it would seem that you may have a Sequentronic gearbox with a transmission mode switch button (on the centre consul) that states only C/S. Also, it seems with this box that if you push the gear lever to the left it will stay in that (left hand) position and you use the stick to change gears up or down the box by either pushing it forward or backwards. The SL55 is different, it has a centre consul switch that is 3-way, C/S or Manual. The steering wheel paddles do not work unless manual is selected via the switch. Also, to change gear manually on the 55 with the stick (which you can do at 'any' time) one simply knocks the stick to the left (to down-change) or to the right (to up-change) the stick does not have forward or rear movement. Maybe the later SL55's have this box and the paddles are always 'live' but all the other R230's I have ever seen they have the 3-way selector button not just a C/S switch. If Mark's paddle shifts works no matter what mode the 3-way switch is in then that's great and maybe I can get mine to work that way also, however that isn't the way the instruction manual explains things should work (hence my original query) and mine works like the instructions say.

Mine is the same as yours Dale, though I have S W M mode and will only activate the steering wheel buttons when M is selected on the console. I'm guessing there was slight improvements as the months progressed with certain things like C S mode etc. ;)

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine, we’ll her indoors SL has c/s and m. And paddles work in all modes. It’s a SL55

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My 2005, E55k has the c/m/s button in the centre consul. The paddles work in any mode, the tiptronic, push gear lever to the left or right also works in c and s. Funnily enough don’t think I have ever tried it when in manual ?. but shall next time I’m out.

Mines the same.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Star, what year is yours?

I think early ones only work when in m mode (2002/2003) and after that they work in all modes.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom