Paint protection film

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Has anyone done this to a new car? Seems to protect the paintwork considerably from stone chips, road rash and general scratches.
Even if you did want the whole car done you could probably PPF the front and bonnet?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I haven’t but have considered it and never came to a firm conclusion . It’s not cheap and my ceramic is good but doesn’t fend off stone chips which this probably will

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I haven’t but have considered it and never came to a firm conclusion . It’s not cheap and my ceramic is good but doesn’t fend off stone chips which this probably will
I haven't found any prices yet, but I've read that it is expensive, I guess the film is "extra strong"? Supposed to be good at protecting expensive carbon parts.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

Yours looks beautiful!

My friend did his new SL500 .... within 2 years it looked dreadful.

His words “Ive always wanted a new SL500 since I was a kid, and this crap has ruined it!”

He lost the glass like look!
And sharp stones cut, scuffed, dented the film.

To me it looked like a sharp stone with grit on it scuffed the film and left the grit blasted into it.
Far worse than a normal stone chip, and you cant improve these marks!

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Has anyone done this to a new car? Seems to protect the paintwork considerably from stone chips, road rash and general scratches.
Even if you did want the whole car done you could probably PPF the front and bonnet?
Is there a link to "THIS"??? :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Yours looks beautiful!

His words “Ive always wanted a new SL500 since I was a kid, and this crap has ruined it!”

To me it looked like a sharp stone with grit on it scuffed the film and left the grit blasted into it.

And that is what wrap is going to look like after a similar period !! :rolleyes:

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
And that is what wrap is going to look like after a similar period !! :rolleyes:
There is a S63 Coupe, that lives up the hill post Sept 2017, in a sort of mettalic grey wrap matte.
Saw it a few times over the Winter, looked terrible when covered in road salt etc.
Saw it in June .. cleaned and God he must be gutted ... covered in haze swirl marks... it looks like the A Class and thats 16 years old.

If I was to buy that when it is 4 years old. I would seriously knock £18,000 off for a dewrap and a fUll respray at Bodytechniks ( the absolute best guys ).

Having been through the cement dust issue, I reckon one would have to snow foam it 3 times before you dared to wash with a two bucket lambswool mitt!

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Had my other car done, works well, yes it can dull with being pepered but this would fair much better than bare paintwork and it also can be detailed. The newer films have less of an orange peel look.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
The new wraps are very good plus the people that really know how to use them and care for them make them very long lasting, okay not paint but very very good. Also if properly applied removal sould do minimal damage to paint work, no more than a clay should get it back to normal

snipez999

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
18MY E63S AMG W213
Got my full front end and bonnet plus screen surrounds, mirrors and wings done when I first took delivery of car. Some mega self healing stuff which I shopped round for and finally got done off Trafford Park Manchester. Works well and deffo a bonus having it on the selenite magno paintwork. Cost less than the colour upgrade did so happy with that.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Yours looks beautiful!

Most people's problem is that they drive too close to the car in-front of them. Take a drive and observe other drivers and I'd wager that 80% of people are driving up the ar$e of the vehicle ahead of them.

There was a guy on one of the forae that complained that his front sensor kept beeping. If you have this in your car, you will know that it first flashes red when you are getting too close and only beeps when you are dangerously close.

That said, I'm now looking at a clear bra for my car. The challenge is getting close enough to pass 3 cars at a time ;) because two of them are driving too close behind the car ahead and you can't pass them one at a time.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My 911 had it on the headlights, trailing edge of the front wings, wing mirrors and leading edge of the rear wings. Some of it was factory Porsche and the remainder was dealer fit, it did its job very well with no damage to the bodywork and didn't detract from the looks.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Most people's problem is that they drive too close to the car in-front of them. Take a drive and observe other drivers and I'd wager that 80% of people are driving up the ar$e of the vehicle ahead of them.

There was a guy on one of the forae that complained that his front sensor kept beeping. If you have this in your car, you will know that it first flashes red when you are getting too close and only beeps when you are dangerously close.

That said, I'm now looking at a clear bra for my car. The challenge is getting close enough to pass 3 cars at a time ;) because two of them are driving too close behind the car ahead and you can't pass them one at a time.

The challenge is easily sorted ... get a 5.5L V8 :):):)
or better still an AMG 63!
Move into overtaking lane, straighten her up, floor it .... Sorted ! ;)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
The challenge is easily sorted ... get a 5.5L V8 :):):)
or better still an AMG 63!
Move into overtaking lane, straighten her up, floor it .... Sorted ! ;)

Given the 0-62 times difference between the 400 (4.9), 500 (4.3) and 63 (4.1), .8 sec is not going to be a huge help in overtaking. ;):):)o_O

And dare I say that the SL400 is quicker than many of the older V8s:eek::oops:

People drive too close together and the speed needed for overtaking 2, 3 or 4 cars (doing 59mph) gets you upto 100+mph before you can blink 2x.:mad:

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Given the 0-62 times difference between the 400 (4.9), 500 (4.3) and 63 (4.1), .8 sec is not going to be a huge help in overtaking. ;):):)o_O

And dare I say that the SL400 is quicker than many of the older V8s:eek::oops:

People drive too close together and the speed needed for overtaking 2, 3 or 4 cars (doing 59mph) gets you upto 100+mph before you can blink 2x.:mad:
Aha but it’s not the 0-62 times which matter here though! It’s the 40- whatever you want times...;)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom