Parent and Toddler Parking.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
And how many times have we all criticised the drivers of vehicles who have 'selfishly' parked across two parking spaces ? :)

Cost Cutting, Value Engineering, Maximising Profit is the culprit in every case, in the pursuit of filthy lucre, 2.5m x 5m just isn't big enough to be comfortable and everyone knows this from the architects to the end users but it is arguably big enough for the average sized family car in the UK, and no business is going to give away more than they have to, space is a costly premium for developers and retailers and given the choice would opt for more retail space over 'Free Parking' every day.
Land is expensive. No one’s making it any more.

Besides, anyone who doesn’t maximise profit (however one defines it, not just cash) leaves the door open for the next competitor...

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Reminds of those modern estate houses with garages far too narrow for cars.

my daughter has a garage linked property, if you want to use the garage for a car ,one must push it in and pull it out !!!! hws that legal?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
my daughter has a garage linked property, if you want to use the garage for a car ,one must push it in and pull it out !!!! hws that legal?
I have garage linked house though I'm on the end, I can get my Smart Roadster in there & be able to get out ... just. I doubt the ML would go through the door :D

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I have garage linked house though I'm on the end, I can get my Smart Roadster in there & be able to get out ... just. I doubt the ML would go through the door :D

So what you need is to sign up to the 'Mercedes Me' services and subscribe to the Remote Parking Assist service! :D

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
So what you need is to sign up to the 'Mercedes Me' services and subscribe to the Remote Parking Assist service! :D

seems the only thing benz needs US for is to PAY for the damn thing and its future dramas.!!!!!!!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Reminds of those modern estate houses with garages far too narrow for cars.
Our Smart would fit (but due to the design of the doors you still wouldn't get out). We converted ours to a home cinema room.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Why don't car parks just make all the car parking spaces wider so that we dont need parent and toddler specific spaces? Why are P&T spaces normally nearer to shop entrances?

I agree 100%!

I understand Disabled Bays for Blue Badge Holders, but I see absolutely no reason why Parents with "Toddlers" should take any precedence over others. After all it is there choice to have children and bring them shopping - it's not like it is forced upon them!

The signage in Portugal comes over as a bit blunt..................

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
I parked in a car park the other evening. Three clear spaces and I picked the middle one. As I'm walking back to my car another motorist pulled into the bay to the left of mine. Not a problem except they weren't straight. Sort of turned in from an angle on right hand lock.

As I'm walking back to the car with just one bag of shopping, I operated the remote which put on the fog lamps and interiors, thinking, "If they're tight on getting out [the door] they'll let me move first".

Not a chance. I'm in the car, reverse selected, and the driver gets out. I'm easing back, about to clout their arse with the mirror, and they then open a rear door for a passenger to get out. Wassuck! If they had waited just ten seconds then I would have been away and gone. Why do these type of people not comprehend how life could be so much simpler if they could understand their surroundings and react to them accordingly.

It can't be a lack of education. It has to be a culture of "Me first".:rolleyes:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Agreed. It's not just parking either.
I waited 3 minutes for some bloke to fanny about before starting his car and vacating the petrol pump. The young lad behind him managed to finish filling his tank, walk to the cashier, pay, walk back and start his car in less time than the guy I was waiting for took to start his car.

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I agree 100%!

I understand Disabled Bays for Blue Badge Holders, but I see absolutely no reason why Parents with "Toddlers" should take any precedence over others. After all it is there choice to have children and bring them shopping - it's not like it is forced upon them!

The signage in Portugal comes over as a bit blunt..................

Agreed on the toddler front Bill depending how young- where these spaces help ( and I mean both the car with baby seats/prams and the cars parked next to them) is with little ones in removable car seats /prams) we had 3 in car seats at one point and it was ‘difficult ‘

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
Some years ago, on the trip down to the Plymouth ferry, I pulled off the Motorway to fill up at a garage just off [was it] Jn 27. This garage had always been cheap for fuel but was undergoing major, and I mean MAJOR refurbishment to the extent that only one pump was operational. With a queue behind, having filled, I pulled forward before going to the pay kiosk, and got a friendly wave from the next in queue.

Being polite is not 'Rocket Science'. It is about 'spatial awareness'. Being aware of the needs of others about one.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Until we get a government that has a Minister for common sense, which in the current climate is unlikely, these types of problems won't be addressed.
As our democracy is spiralling down to Putin levels perhaps I should be looking at "Zil Lanes" and friends and family parking.

Comrade Corbyn could appoint me as special advisor for obfuscation in transport..

Or perhaps I should encourage the youth to become a Minister for not giving you what you voted for so I could get a friends and family pass for my wind powered personnel relocation unit.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Car parking spaces are too small, no question, I support the beneficial parking for those who need it. I'm old enough to not be coping with tiny tots and young enough not to need a blue badge - lucky me. I can walk comfortably around the car park, so I do. I realise I may one day benefit from assistance and hope I don't get grief for it when the time comes.

In my experience, motorists too often drive quickly in car parks, endangering pedestrians who are wandering around not looking. Those same motorists get out of their cars and saunter around the car park oblivious to others driving in and out. Car parks are dangerous places because everyone imagines they are 'in the right'.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Car parking spaces are too small, no question, I support the beneficial parking for those who need it. I'm old enough to not be coping with tiny tots and young enough not to need a blue badge - lucky me. I can walk comfortably around the car park, so I do. I realise I may one day benefit from assistance and hope I don't get grief for it when the time comes.

In my experience, motorists too often drive quickly in car parks, endangering pedestrians who are wandering around not looking. Those same motorists get out of their cars and saunter around the car park oblivious to others driving in and out. Car parks are dangerous places because everyone imagines they are 'in the right'.
With a particular threat from PH Taxi drivers plying their trade, I will intentionally obstruct them in a supermarket Car Park and slow down to appropriate speeds.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I waited 3 minutes for some bloke to fanny about before starting his car and vacating the petrol pump. The young lad behind him managed to finish filling his tank, walk to the cashier, pay, walk back and start his car in less time than the guy I was waiting for took to start his car.

I sat in a queue at Costco to get fuel and after a 5 minute wait parked at a pump where the guy in the next lane was sitting in the drivers seat. I assumed he'd filled up & was ready to leave, but after I'd filled the whole tank from empty he was still sitting there.
A woman pulled up behind him obviously thinking he was about to leave, eventually giving him a toot of the horn to show she's waiting behind him, at which point he got out of his car, gave her a look and proceeded to start filling his car up!
The wife told me he was sitting at the pumps on his phone even though there was a long queue for fuel.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
When I use my local Tesco, (which I hate) I use the car park that is in the centre of the screen on the attached Map.

It is normally always empty, (even at Christmas it's only half used - personally I think it is because people are too lazy to walk the extra 50 yards!) because a lot of people do not realise it is even there as it has a real secluded entrance..... :D And the only time they barricade it off is when they have a Market in there. (Like once a year).

The one annoying fact is that the Car Park has 2 Entrances but only one Exit!!! CRAZY!!

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8934938,-1.318703,310m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.893...4!1sSjOKaryNpGKzn0eCLBhJ4g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
we call that FATDAADTDI , LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON !

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
What's wrong with that parking? :rolleyes:
flowrider99 said:
and the colour matches the space markings, result :D

FWIW that picture is taken straight from the internet. whilst I had a yellow F355 that one was not mine and I did not park it like that the one time I took it to a supermarket.
ajlsl600 said:

As for garage space. I don't think I could get a 'regular' size car in. My old CLK would not have fit, well certainly not with the rear filing office cabinet. As for width, it is tight.

Attachments

• IMG_E1649.JPG
    IMG_E1649.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 10

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I agree 100%!

Have to agree - but it is the millenial (dare I say snowflake) generation we are talking about.....and if I see all the older lazy bu66ers around that want to park in the front door of the shops - it is not surprising that they have raised lazy bugg3r$ as well. Was at B&Q last week (weekday) parking lot was to all intent and purposes empty and yet a driver waited for a car to move that was parked opposite the doorway.

I saw a woman this am park her car in an intersection just out of the school no parking zone. There is tons of parking around the corner from the school where most parents park (but it is a huge a 50yard walk).

However.........as previously stated, I'm tempted to buy a used baby seat and stick it in my wife's car, just to get even:mad:! I do have grandkids that might want to travel in her car!

Grrrr rant over.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom