Parking brake (foot operated) question

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>a horrible frustrating job to release and reattach the holding springs/clips for the shoes themselves working through the hole so placed for access in the rear hub.

GB, see Ebay item: 300316362569

busby20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK's 2, CLK320 Cabriolet.
this is my first Merc, (a CLK320 W209) and I have only driven cars with conventional hand brakes before.

I have driven plenty of automatics, and even though they all lock the transmission in Park, I still like to (on occasions) put the car in Neutral with Handbrake on.. e.g when sitting stationary at traffic lights on a hill.

I could stay in Drive, with my foot on the brake, but a) this keeps your brake lights on and can dazzle drivers behind you at night, and b) if you do it a lot, you can warp your brake discs with a powerful car... so I still would sometimes put an auto in neutral plus handbrake.

I tried it today on my CLK. on a hill.

I put the car in Neutral, and operated the foot operated parking brake, but the car was rolling backwards still. So I gave up and just put the car in drive and kept my foot on the brake until I wanted to move off.

Now... if the Merc had a conventional handbrake I would go straight in to the garage and say the handbrake needs adjusting.. but is that the case here?

If the foot operated parking brake is not capable of stopping the car rolling when in Neutral does that mean it is faulty? or simply is it designed for some other user (what?).

Thanks

Guy

?? Why bother, leave the car in drive, put the handbrake on, and both systems will hold the car - without dazzling drivers behind, nor putting a strain on the transmission. If you think this is awkward, try driving a manual transmission with the footbrake taking off from a hill - handbrake has only 2 options - on - or off! no facility to "slip" the brake - only the clutch!!

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I would imagine that on a manual you need to somehow heel-toe between clucth and parking brake pedal.

Certainly I tend to release mine as if it was a standard brake pedal as I hate the load thunk when you just use the release handle.

Also means that I'm raring to go for those racing starts without my brake lights showing.

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
>>a horrible frustrating job to release and reattach the holding springs/clips for the shoes themselves working through the hole so placed for access in the rear hub.

GB, see Ebay item: 300316362569

My sore hands bore testament to how much i wish i'd known about that tool NC.

Found the Haynes of little help for the job (again), fitting the return springs in place when offering the new shoes up is a fiddly addition to the juggling act.

It's not a job i'd like to do too often, but the tool you refer to i would gladly have bought.

Next time i'm thinking about a job like that i'll expect cystal ball consultants to notify me BEFORE i start...:Oops:

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
MOT says parking brake 17% efficent! Wow! terrifying memories of being parked on P&O side ramps with three tons of car (inclusive of clutter). Had to left foot on brake pedal to hold when releasing foothandbrake. Scary moments. Unnatural.

Just happened on this old thread.

ebay "item" not listed with regard to making a difficult job easy. Anyone know what it is/was? current listing for same?

Hopeful adjustment is all that is necessary as can recall previous owner saying drums and brake shoes replaced. Is there a centre point under the seat on the S class? (1996) Can't recall seeing one last time I removed seat, which I do quite often to stack car.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
MOT says parking brake 17% efficent! Wow! terrifying memories of being parked on P&O side ramps with three tons of car (inclusive of clutter). Had to left foot on brake pedal to hold when releasing foothandbrake. Scary moments. Unnatural.

Just happened on this old thread.

ebay "item" not listed with regard to making a difficult job easy. Anyone know what it is/was? current listing for same?

Hopeful adjustment is all that is necessary as can recall previous owner saying drums and brake shoes replaced. Is there a centre point under the seat on the S class? (1996) Can't recall seeing one last time I removed seat, which I do quite often to stack car.

If there is one, it will be under a metal plate.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I would imagine that on a manual you need to somehow heel-toe between clucth and parking brake pedal.

no its really quite simple. you simply hold the car on the service brake, select neutral then use the left foot to apply the parking brake. then release the service brake. i really dont know why people find it so difficult!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
no its really quite simple. you simply hold the car on the service brake, select neutral then use the left foot to apply the parking brake. then release the service brake. i really dont know why people find it so difficult![

I had a manual before the auto...never had a problem.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
no its really quite simple. you simply hold the car on the service brake, select neutral then use the left foot to apply the parking brake. then release the service brake. i really dont know why people find it so difficult![

I had a manual before the auto...never had a problem.

me neither. ive had 1 auto and im on my 3rd manual!

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
anyone got a new number for the ebay item which was main purpose for my reviving thread?

shaun2209

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CClass C220 CDI Auto
Started on the W211 E CLass and whilst they have dropped the SBC brakes they still have the HOLD function in the new E class. I believe the S & SL also have it although I don't know about the C or CLK

My C Class 220 has the hill hold function, and it's ace. On any hill, however steep, with the car in D it doesn't roll back an inch.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
ALL my autos have had a 'HOLD' function .............. it's my left foot! :lol::lol:

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240 classic est 2000 2.4
Ah at last a positive for the sbc braking system.............you stop at lights or on a hill, slightly release your foot off the brakes then press once more and........held. (at least I think its part of the sbc system):)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep!
Two feet ..... two pedals. A go foot & a stop foot! ;)

....... and have done for years. :)

and an instant failure on your driving test!
my late father in law had to have his car adapted to hand controls after the amputation of his right leg at the knee, otherwise his license was invalid, even though he had a perfectly useable left leg to drive an auto

A Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E Class 320 CDI
stopping in traffic

I use mine a fair bit too (slip in to N and pop the foot brake on) - hate sitting on the brakes in traffic unless absolutely necessary. Think mine needs a bit of adjustment too though it got through the MOT recently with no issues, it's just not quite as effective as I think it should be - needs too many clicks :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Mark

I to have a E320 if i am sitting in traffic I pull the cruise control lever towards me which activates a system for this purpose. When you slow down it applies the brake to save putting your foot on the brake to remain stationary. one you accelerate past 40mph it turns itself off.

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
I to have a E320 if i am sitting in traffic I pull the cruise control lever towards me which activates a system for this purpose. When you slow down it applies the brake to save putting your foot on the brake to remain stationary. one you accelerate past 40mph it turns itself off.

Oh dear that sounds frightening to me - Cruise is a great asset but needs careful consideration I've found. Using it to brake, it can be done but thats not the purpose I'd have thought - usually rockets away as soon as you let go of the lever. Under 40 surely it does not work.

Not to be used when driving long distances when fatigue starts to kick in. Imagine its also quite a thirsty mode to use, as recovery of speed when leaving a town for example, is usually at warp 9......!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom