Parking Sensor Issues

OP
L

Luke Powell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class E220 AMG SPORT CDI / 2013 / 2.1
Hi Luke I have the same problem with my cls, did you ever fix the problem? Thanks Nick

Hi Nick,

I never did, albeit I never actually tried, I’ve just been living with it but I do want to get back to try it out at some point though, just been far too busy unfortunately

8ball74

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cls/2007/3.2v6
Thanks mate if I have any joy with mine I'll let you know, we both have the same symptoms.

Leosmad

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 AMG Shooting break, W906 Sprinter 316 both 2013
Hi
I have an E350 AMG line estate. 2013
I had problems with the parking sensors, intermittent working etc. Also the eco-start/stop rarely working. Spurious dead, totally dead on first key turn but fine second.
Aux battery was replaced before I bought it, the main battery reading 12.4-12.7 (I think?)
All seemed fine? But I decided to change the main battery anyway as 7 years is getting iffy with winter coming. Anyway, parking sensors all 100%, start/stop at about 60° engine temperature. No more dead engine. Cured all problems. I think they are really fussy on batteries, needing them to be 100%
Hopefully that might help. I was about to pay for a plug in, £££+ which would no doubt have cost me replacement sensors so trying replacing an older battery was a no brainier. I had similar on my Sprinter 316. Odd problems, replaced seemingly ok battery, all fixed.

Duffy3074

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/2011/E250
I’ve got this same problem on my 2013 W212 E250 AMG

System initialises correctly every time but one time in every 4 or 5 activations it doesn’t measure distance to the front or back, there are no error beeps, signs of any malfunction or error codes logged.
It’s not me accidentally pushing any button (it wouldn’t light up if I had) system voltages are correct, I have no associated faults.

A conundrum!!

Duffy3074

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/2011/E250
How old is the battery..?
Both batteries are fairly fresh, since the sensors only come in when you’re driving the engine is running and it’s alternator voltage, I greatly doubt it’s a battery issue

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
........, since the sensors only come in when you’re driving the engine is running and it’s alternator voltage.....
Good point.
But you are assuming that the unit that controls the parking sensors is getting that voltage.
I would check the voltage at that unit and also the earth connections.

Duffy3074

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/2011/E250
I’d be very surprised if there was any issue with the physical wiring itself as the system would either not initialise at all or give off a fault beep and flash red.
Being a safety item these things tend to be very unforgiving of an irregular voltage/poor continuity etc etc and go into fault mode at the drop of a hat.
I suspect this is either a software or communications problem

Duffy3074

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/2011/E250
This had happened again today after the sensors came on when parking up today. As an experiment I switched off the sensors with the dash switch which made no difference.
However, switching the ignition off and immediately back to reset them and they then worked perfectly

Duffy3074

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/2011/E250
Just wanted to update on this.
Managed to get this fixed yesterday at Klasse Automotive in East Calder (Thanks Stuart)
This problem is caused by a low voltage, usually in a situation where the engine is cranking as the sensors initialise.
A low voltage (under 7v) causes a failure in the whole system without logging a fault code.
Xentry tip G154.65-P-056620 refers and there's a software update to fix it.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom